Mothering Forum banner

How many steps of cleansing?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  KarenHinze 
#1 ·
Let's discuss how many steps of cleansing our face

#4 ·
Try OCM - oil cleansing method. Cleanser and works as a makeup remover in one step.

I've been only washing my face with my regular soap in the shower but I'm testing out some new things. Going to work with OCM again and add witch hazel toner in the evening with just witch hazel in the morning. We'll see how that goes. I may add in honey wash in the am if the OCM toner isn't handling it alone. I need to start doing a clay mask once a week but I always forget. Ugh.

Reactions: applejuice
#6 ·
Try OCM - oil cleansing method. Cleanser and works as a makeup remover in one step.

I've been only washing my face with my regular soap in the shower but I'm testing out some new things. Going to work with OCM again and add witch hazel toner in the evening with just witch hazel in the morning. We'll see how that goes. I may add in honey wash in the am if the OCM toner isn't handling it alone. I need to start doing a clay mask once a week but I always forget. Ugh.
Yes, Olive oil is best for cleansing and a good make up remover.

#7 ·
I'm totally intrigued by this thread. I totally just rub water all over my face when I get up in the morning and that's it. I'm curious what it is about your faces/skin that you're trying to correct or maintain? I will add that the last time I wore any makeup at all was in high school theater and I've never had issues with acne or oily skin. That may have something to do with why I don't understand facial cleansing. Or I may just be totally missing some basic facet of adulthood. That wouldn't surprise me either.

#10 · (Edited)
From the book, The Experts' Guide To 100 Things Everyone Should Know How To Do, by Samantha Ettus,
https://www.amazon.com/Experts-Guid...ryone+Should+Know+How+To+Do+by+Samantha+Ettus.

All Skin Types Should Use Eye cream or gel applied gently to the delicate eye area, lip balm and a day cream with sunscreen. Us appropriate face scrubs and face masks once a week.
Skin care NOs - include sun exposure, smoking, yo-yo dieting, caffeine, excess sugar and stress.
Skin care diet - Drink lots of water, eat protein, take essential fatty acids, avoid refined carbohydrates, and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
RELAX - Make a conscious effort to relax any tense muscles in your face.
Moisturize - Use olive or coconut oil to rejuvenate your skin. (vitamin E?)
Exfoliate - Daily exfoliation preferably at night removes the dead top layer of skin and speeds up your skin's renewal process.
Saunas and steam rooms eliminate toxins and encourage skin renewal. Jacuzzis help circulation and rejuvenation.

- Sidra Saukat
For me, I use soap and water in the morning and night. I use oil at night. I put it on my cuticles also. Soap is Ivory®, Dr Bronner®.

Makeup - I wore makeup for my husband. When I was pregnant with #2 , I became allergic to my makeup; I could not even wear hypoallergenic makeup. So I never bothered to wear much of it since.

I broke out until I was 37 except when I was pregnant. I used alcohol then as an astringent and peroxide as an antiseptic.

#11 ·
A scrub I've made that my skin loves: matcha, honey, and a bit of baking soda (for its grit/exfoliation; it's not on my skin long enough to do pH damage)

I also do honey and full-fat plain yogurt masks, and masks of bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar

My routine, which isn't very "natural" is:

Morning

Cleanser
Hydrating toner
Moisturizer
Suncreen
Mascara or mascara/concealer if I'm feeling fancy

Night

Cleanser
AHA/BHA toner
Moisturizer

Perhaps a face mask if it's been a long day and I want some pampering.

My skin is super, super dry and now that I am aging it's even dryer, so hydration and sunscreen are very important to me. The acid toner comes at night because it makes the skin more UV sensitive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.