Cheapest natural menstration product(s)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2004, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm broke & AF's come back finally. Right now I put on a yucky paper pad I had stuck under the sink from way back before I got preggo. Since I've started cding & getting more into the natural way of life, I would like to get a keeper or something. (I've always been a tampon sorta girl, but the thought of sticking one of these chemical things up there now......eeewwwww!) I thought it'd be better to invest in a menstral cup since that's what I think I'd like more & it'd be cheaper that way. So- my question is where can I get a good deal on a menstrual cup? I was leaning towards a keeper, but right now anything natural & cheap would make me happy.

And- I was thinking I'd like to have a few cloth pads for backup. Is it hard to make your own? I've never used any before, would it be better for me to try one first before I attempt to make any?

I've tried reading up on these, so I know a little. But if anyone wants to share their knowledge/preferences/reviews on any natural menstration things I'd greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 11:35 AM

Hey, Jessica. I have never used the keeper, but have been into natural stuff for a few years and have been using sea pearls, which are natural sea sponges like the ones they sell in the cosmetic aisle. You can buy them from health food stores for about $8 (a pack of 2), or you can just find some wherever. I have used them very much like tampons. You just wet them completely, squeeze them dry, and stuff them up there as far as you can. I usually don't use them on my heaviest days because it's too high-maintenance and they need to be checked every hour or so. I use my gladrags for the first 2 days and then switch when the flow lightens up a little. When one becomes saturated, pull it out, rinse well, squeeze to dry and replace. In between uses you can clean them in warm water with a little bit of baking soda or peroxide or even tea tree eo if you like, but don't leave them sit in the peroxide or they will disintegrate. Usually I buy about 4 sponges a year. When they finally get funky, I throw them in the compost pile. I have used this system for the last few years and it works great for me. The gladrags, etc., are a bit pricey, but in reality they save you tons of $ in the long run. I'd say you should just buy one, because the design is so simple that you can easily make them, especially if you have a serger on your machine. I have 10 of them that were a gift from a friend when I started bleeding again after my 2nd baby and I just love them. The ones that are made of organic cotton are SO much nicer! (I have both kinds) Softer and more absorbent. I keep a bucket of cold water next to my toilet and when one gets saturated, I toss it in the bucket. At the end of the day, I rinse them and throw them in the wash. Easy cheesy! One thing I really like about natural menstrual products is that they get you in touch with your blood. You have your hands in it, you feel it's warmth. I think it's important for women to love their blood and have a relationship with it and natural products facilitate this connection. It's definitely in stark contrast to disposable products, where you never really touch the blood and it is seen as "gross". I have always hated that. Nothing about our bodies is gross! Enjoy your moontime, sister!
Old 06-17-2004, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip- I never knew of those before. I might get some of those to try till I can afford the keeper. I'll have to check out the glad rags too, I only plan on getting a few, so maby I can afford them too. TY!
Old 06-17-2004, 01:28 AM

i used thick wash cloths for my pp flow, and will use them for af when the time comes. cheap and effective, and surprisingly not as uncomfortable as i'd imagined
Old 06-17-2004, 06:18 PM

For pads, take a look at SchnooglyWear. Just $1 each. Or if you're a decent seamstress, get a few preemie or infant prefolds and you could cut out a few pads per pf (if you put the 8 layers in the middle of the pad, 4 on the ends) and serge the edges. It won't feel icky, I promise. I wore a few of ds's infant prefolds folded 4x - it was super bulky, but lots more comfortable than plastic.

For menstrual cup, I got the Diva Cup from Mama Essentials for the $25 + shipping ($3.85 I think). I ordered it on a Thursday/Friday, it came Monday or Tuesday or thereabouts.

I'd say try the diva cup first if you're okay with that kind of thing. I wore it for the first few days of af, first time ever wearing it, and it didn't leak at all.

ETA: Both the keeper and the diva have money-back guarantees, so if you hate them, you're only out shipping.

Good luck!

Lanna

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 06-17-2004, 10:10 PM

For pad sewing try here: http://www.diapersewing.com

There is even a printable template. I don't have a serger and I just made some recently and just zig-zagged around the edges instead of sewing and turning. I also used hook and loop since I haven't snap capability either--I used the cheap hook and loop you can get for .89 at JoAnns in the bins. Here is a pic of the ones I made, I used to use my own pattern but I lost it when we moved so I used hers and I really like how they came out (made them for post-partum, I didn't have enough to get me through, baby is coming soon!). They are all flannel, I did the inserts with 3 layers instead of 4 like she used so they will dry faster.

http://www.crunchybaby.com/pads2.jpg

As far anything else, i can't use anythign that I have to insert, haven't been able to since I had my first, just gives me the willies thinking about it. A lot of mamas have been pleased with the Diva cup or moon cup though and there are also sea pearl sponges which I would actually consider using--i am thinking of getting some for when AF returns (which hopefully won't be for a looooong time since I plan on nursing again!).

Hoep this helps!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:24 PM

I love the Keeper. It's still in my purse, even though last week I found out I'm pg (there's lots of junk in my purse that I don't need any more, I guess that's not saying much). I'll actually kinda miss it. I have heavy AF and it was a liberation when I started using it. Nothing has worked better. I don't use it at night though, so my girlie parts can breathe. The cheapest thing I've used for night time is cut lengths of old bath towels or sweatshirts folded up and neatly pinned in my undies. They work like a charm.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:31 PM

Hi There all, I"ve saved so much money making my own pads. and now I make them for others. When I told my mom I was making cloth menstrual pads she said it sounds like something my mom would give us and say use this, LOL they would use wash cloths in there under things, Boy its funny to think how we've come back to that cotton idea and ran with it. the plastic things they have out there are so yucky, I can't believe I ever used them!!!! I've never liked tampons so I havent gotten the diva cup on my website yet but was thinking I might just go ahead and do that. well anyways I just wanted to come in and say something, good luck with search..
Old 07-25-2004, 02:38 AM

Been there with the 'thick wash cloth'. Have used some cut up flannel, and I REALLY like the Keeper cup (would probably like the Diva too, as it's all silicon). I got the Sea Pearls from Jade and Pearl, then found them for cheap at a craft store. Just be sure to wet them, squeeze them out good. One will last you for quite some time. They are so cheap, I just use one for each cycle. I haven't gotten AF back so far (5 months now). Didn't have AF for 14 months after first baby. Only had it 3 months in between kids...so happily waiting to see how long this time will be.

Have some glad rags, bought three Mother of Eden pads to try when AF is back. They look SUPER nice and soft. I am thinking of designing and making some WaHM pads, or just for me and friends.. I'm a SaHM now, but have an idea for something a bit different.

If you want to try making your own, perhaps use a panty liner sposie for a 'shape' to cut out. Zig zag the edge, as said, if you can't get to a serger. I did some breastpads like that, it worked great!

This is a bit premature, but I am thinking I'd send a few willing 'test subjects' a few of my home made pads to 'test' them before trying to sell any. I have the design and all that on paper, just waiting for my fabrics to come in. I'll remember your name and if you are interested you can PM me with mailing address (I'll pay for shipping). If anyone else is interested PM me with your name. I"ll start a list. I hope to have some made up by end of August.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:01 AM

good luck making your own pads, I've had allot of fun making and designing mine, and running my website, I"ve changed it a few times and now have fleece ones too, they are nice and comfy.

User Tag List