Crockpots and lead - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 06-25-2004, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone got any info on crockpots leaching lead.

I was told that the FDA allows certain amounts to leach out of the glaze. Hmmm not good!
#2 of 48 Old 06-25-2004, 11:00 PM

aw, sheesh
ignorance is bliss
:

We had crockpot stew last night and are just about to eat crockpot split pea soup right now.
:
#3 of 48 Old 06-26-2004, 01:23 AM

Oh no....I cannot live without my crockpot. I don't turn on the oven in the summers and the crockpot is our main source of yummy, whole foods meals!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#4 of 48 Old 06-26-2004, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
They might, but you should be able to check that yours is made with a leadfree glaze.

Last I'd heard leadfree was a requirement in this country.

Do a search (don't limit yourself to Google) on lead testing kits, get one and test your crockery if you're concerned about it.

"What will you do once you know?"
#5 of 48 Old 06-26-2004, 10:47 PM

Here's something I found:

http://greennature.com/auctionaid/ar..._Cookware.html

Quote:
Lead, however, is used in some glazes for slow-cooking pots (crock-pots). But, in tests done in 1987, FDA found that the amount of lead that leached into food from these pots did not exceed FDA standards.
Whatever that means.

Found the same info here (scroll down to the bottom - last paragraph):

http://www.designfusion-intl.com/kitchenarticles.htm
#6 of 48 Old 06-28-2004, 12:12 AM

It probably depends on the colorant used in the glaze, and also on what you are cooking. I know that acidic foods leach our chemicals more than other foods.
#7 of 48 Old 06-28-2004, 11:35 AM

IMO- I have a hard time believing that ost crock pots contain any lead- FDA standards or not- for the last 10 years. Even if a company thinks its not a problem, for a consumer to find out there is lead, would be a disasterous situation, and easily sink them.
FDA standards are based on a low amount. We all probaly have lead amounts in our system, certainly did as chlidren. A small amount is easily passed by the body if you have enough iron and calcium and zinc in your system. The fact that you are ingesting lead while you are eating only aids in your bodies ability to pass it.
So, i doubt its a big deal- but I still urge you to call/ email you manufactures and demand to know, and state that you believe lead should be banned from all their products.
If you ever chip or break your crockpot- throw away and clean the area with powdered dish detergent.

thanks for the info.
b
#8 of 48 Old 06-28-2004, 03:55 PM

My FIL called Rival this morning because he has a Rival brand crockpot & so do we. He was very concerned when I told him that I'd heard that crockpot glazes could contain some lead, and he immediately picked up the phone & called Rival (their phone # is on the crockpot somewhere).

Rival verified that their glazes DO contain lead (in an amount well under the limit set by the FDA), and that they do NOT make any crockpots with a lead-free glaze.
#9 of 48 Old 06-28-2004, 04:01 PM

Alright, well then, do any OTHER companies make crockpots that contain NO lead?
#10 of 48 Old 06-28-2004, 04:19 PM

You can also email them.
This is always easier for me with small children.
You can find their website on google.

Also, its wise to make sure that you do not store food in the crockpot.

I am so shocked that they do this.
Not only is it a possible contaminate- but, its a problem for the factories that make them.

Also, a call to your health dept in your city might yeild so promising ideas about what the FDA levels are. I put a call into mine- they ahve a dept that works with lead and understand the regulations.

thanks
brenda
#11 of 48 Old 06-28-2004, 04:24 PM

I have a ge- just contacted the company via email, but here is all ways to reach them

http://www.gehousewares.com/contact_us.jsp

Lets compare answers.

brenda
#12 of 48 Old 06-28-2004, 05:11 PM

Busymommy, some companies advertise that their glazes are lead-free. I'd be wary of the ones that don't say anything. Other companies sell stainless steel crockpots, too.
#13 of 48 Old 06-28-2004, 06:03 PM

Oooh, my dh works w/stainless. That's a guaranteed shopping hit.
Thanks
#14 of 48 Old 06-28-2004, 06:21 PM

Can you post about the stainless steel models?
The only ones I ahve seen (in stores) have a stainless steel exterior, but the actual cooking pot is the same. its all for looks.

thanks
brenda
#15 of 48 Old 06-28-2004, 09:35 PM

My Dh got me a crockpot (finally!) for Mother's Day this year--it is stainlesss steel outside and it actually has a glass pot that lifts out of it--I think he got it at Wal-Mart (yikes! I know!) but you can find it elsewhere. Lemmee see......It is by West Bend (that's what is says on the front of it), it is a pretty big one. i've used it a few times and I really like it, I made some good scalloped potatoes in it!
#16 of 48 Old 06-28-2004, 10:39 PM

Well, I thought this was a crockpot with a stainless inner when I posted earlier:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/itemgroups/4410_0.asp

I went to Crate & Barrel today and looked at it, though, and the salesperson did not think it was intended to function as a crockpot - more of a steamer for veggies & rice. It looks that way to me, too.

So, I might be wrong about the stainless thing. I'll keep looking, though, 'cause now I'm on the market for a new slow cooker.

I'm actually now no longer sure that you can find stoneware with a lead-free glaze, either. I was looking around the internet earlier & I was finding things that said I should be sure to find a crockpot made with a lead-free glaze. So, I assumed that there were companies who advertised their product as such. I can't seem to find them, though.

Sorry, I jumped to conclusions too quick on those ones. Didn't mean to raise false hopes.

Let me know if you find anything...
#17 of 48 Old 06-29-2004, 12:25 AM

Yeah, I found a bunch online but w/ceramic liners.

But...hey...maybe I'll venture into the Evil Empire of Walmart to find the stainless one there w/the glass liner. :

I mean, seriously, I cook a LOT w/this thing.
:

OKay, here's what I found online. Can't tell about the liner. Did email them, but who knows...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A90546%3A4829
#18 of 48 Old 06-29-2004, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMommy
OKay, here's what I found online. Can't tell about the liner. Did email them, but who knows...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A90546%3A4829

I don't think it has a glass inner; it looks like my Rival crockpot. The black upper handles are part of the inside. It does have a glass top though (although my cover is *all* glass, including the handle.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#19 of 48 Old 06-29-2004, 07:27 PM

Found this one today. The outside is plastic, but the inner is glass & so is the lid:

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....So6A0040648266
#20 of 48 Old 06-30-2004, 01:12 AM

Hey, that looks pretty cool. And, cheap, too.
Thanks!
#21 of 48 Old 06-30-2004, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCafe
I'm actually now no longer sure that you can find stoneware with a lead-free glaze, either.
What?! I just bought a Emile Henry Auberge Pie Dish!
But I am so glad to give the Crockpot the heave-ho. I hate that old dust collector!

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#22 of 48 Old 06-30-2004, 11:07 AM

MamaBlue, I'd just call the company if I were you. I actually just meant crockpot stoneware, not all stoneware. But it does make me wonder about the glazes on other stoneware, too. If you call the company, let me know what you find out, ok? I'd be interested in what the scoop is with other stoneware products.
#23 of 48 Old 07-01-2004, 01:44 AM

I called westbend and they said it was lead-free. AND did you know some of the crockpots have a nonstick coating. rival is big on that, so that's the reason I ended up with westbend.
#24 of 48 Old 07-07-2004, 06:43 PM

thanks for this thread and info. I am always looking for hidden lead risks, as my dd has high lead and we still dont know why (we corrected the minor problem areas we knew about and she is still high-even with a higher iron and diary intake) I do cook quite a bit in the crock pot. and mine is a rival (its beautiful, though..the stainless outer and glass top, I hate to part with it)

all of our dishes, accessories, pitchers, bakeware, etc is stoneware (but its fiesta ware, which I thought they made a HUGE deal out of it all being lead free now)

ugh.
#25 of 48 Old 10-12-2004, 05:52 PM

Quote:
My FIL called Rival this morning because he has a Rival brand crockpot & so do we. He was very concerned when I told him that I'd heard that crockpot glazes could contain some lead, and he immediately picked up the phone & called Rival (their phone # is on the crockpot somewhere).

Rival verified that their glazes DO contain lead (in an amount well under the limit set by the FDA), and that they do NOT make any crockpots with a lead-free glaze.
ok, I just called Rival and asked and I was told that they do NOT have lead. Now where do we go from here?
#26 of 48 Old 10-13-2004, 10:07 AM

I understand your concern about the lead, and I would contact the companies about each individual crock because if you are using something that is really old or from another country, you may be at more risk than someone buying something from a fairly mainstream, current source.
Just so you know, stoneware is heated too hot in a kiln to contain lead in the glaze. Stoneware glazes tend to be real earthy tones, such as browns, blacks, celadons, tomato reds, ochre yellows and some blues.
On the other hand, if the peice is EARTHENWARE with bright vibrant colors (sometimes painted in designs or as underglaze), then there could be cause for concern. Earthen ware is fired at lower temperatures and uses lead as the flux to melt the glaze on the surface. There are earthenware glazes though that do not contain lead and are food safe.

I have not seen pieces that contain lead for commerical sales for food in the US. I think you are safe shopping at Target, Walmart, and the whole lot. I would however restate, if you think it might be a concern with your particular item to call the manufacturer and if that does not clear it up, get a testing kit.
#27 of 48 Old 10-13-2004, 03:33 PM

Quote:

I'm never going to get rid of ALL the heavy metals and toxins am I?
#28 of 48 Old 12-27-2006, 07:05 PM

Bumping this up from 2004.....so what's the verdict? Has anyone figured out whether or not Rival uses lead?

I am SOOOO exhausted in my search for the perfect slow cooker that has a well fitting, heavy lid, doesn't get too hot & doesn't have lead. :

The only crock pot I've seen on Amazon that actually got good reviews was the Farberware FSSC500 5 Qt Slow Cooker. One of the customers posted the actual temps.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#29 of 48 Old 12-27-2006, 07:33 PM

From what I've heard, Hamilton Beach and West Bend and GE are all certified lead free. The fact that Rival does not have this answered in their FAQ's section makes me suspicious.

I Freecycled 2 very nice Rival crockpots b/c of this issue.

I researched heavily, and asked for a Hamilton Beach Stay and go cooker for Xmas - I haven't used it yet, but it looks very nice. Warm, Low, and High settings, and clamps to keep the lid on if you're taking things somewhere. My mom got it at JcPenney's. Hope this helps,
Erin
#30 of 48 Old 12-27-2006, 08:17 PM

Thanks Erin (from a fellow Erin! ) I wonder if the lid is tight? I currently have 2 models jotted down, the Farberware that I mentioned above & the Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 33163 6Qt - sounds like the one you have.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page