Check this out! "Oil Cleansing Method"! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 193 Old 12-20-2004, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just did it and my skin feels really soft. I used 50/50 EVOO/CO. Finally got some use out of that castor oil that has been sitting in the cupboard since I was overdue with my son. LOL

My younger brothers have terrible skin and they are 18 and 22 years old. I am gonna make sure I dont break out first and then I am going to bring the oil over to their house so they can try it too.

Desiree

#62 of 193 Old 12-21-2004, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not trying to be a party pooper but if you are mixing oils and water you need to keep it in the fridge. It can start to get icky otherwise and grow things.

That is why lotion and conditioner has preservatives in it. If you don't want preservatives then keep it in the fridge.

Just trying to be helpful....

Um..a hand mixer like you are supposed to use for drinks works FANTASTIC for whipping oils and water together. I use one when making lotion.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#63 of 193 Old 01-05-2005, 11:20 PM

:

going to try this!
#64 of 193 Old 01-06-2005, 05:54 PM

Been doing this for a couple of months now. My skin is sooooo nice and not a single breakout yet!

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#65 of 193 Old 01-06-2005, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseMama
Been doing this for a couple of months now. My skin is sooooo nice and not a single breakout yet!

Same here!
#66 of 193 Old 01-07-2005, 08:21 AM

OMG!! This is amazing!!!

I tried it last night. Didn't have CO or EVOO, so I just used dd's apricot oil. Only did it on my nose, just to test. Massaged for 2 min, then used the hot washcloth.

My nose has never, ever looked so clean and blackhead-free! Like others, when I was massaging I could see and feel the blackheads coming out. I can't wait to do the whole method with the right oils!
#67 of 193 Old 01-22-2005, 12:09 AM

So what type of oil combo is the best?

I don't have any castor oil or other 'fancy' oils. All I have on hand tonight is EVOO.

Should I try that on its own or wait til I get another oil. I might have some almond oil somewhere but it's probably a couple of years old.

I'm really excited to try this.

Lisa ~ Homeschooling mama to 9yo ds and 7yo dd both born at home and expecting #3 in November!
#68 of 193 Old 01-22-2005, 12:16 AM

Just try it with whatever you've got. The basic premise is still the same-oil dissolves oil. You can adjust based on what your skin needs.

This method was working great for me but I didn't keep up with it. It takes me FOREVER to rinse it all off properly and ds just wasn't having it Maybe I'll try again now that he's a bit older. Well, after I see how my current experiment goes.
#69 of 193 Old 01-22-2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket
I've noticed, though, that I have combo skin. So this works great on my problem spots. I was wondering if anyone else had combo skin and what they do for their dryer areas.
I'm just guessing here, but what if you rub a little EVOO into the dry spots first and then do your oil mix? That might give you a little bit of a shield against the castor oil, which seems to be the more cleansing/drying of the two.

I've been doing OCM for a couple weeks now. It was fine with 1:3 CO:EVOO mix but with 1:1--wow! I love it. Feels good, and I look glowy. But I don't ever see blackheads slipping out. I must say, I was really looking forward to that. I know, gross, but I wanted to see it. I'm also one who closely inspects a Biore strip after using it.
#70 of 193 Old 01-22-2005, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by care_a_boo
But I don't ever see blackheads slipping out. I must say, I was really looking forward to that. I know, gross, but I wanted to see it. I'm also one who closely inspects a Biore strip after using it.
:LOL I have had the, ahem, pleasure of feeling/seeing the blackheads come out, but it doesn't happen every time. I'm always wondering, will tonight be the night???

Lisalee2, I hope it works for you!! SarahNH- How much time would you spend rinsing? I do about 5 times with the hot washcloth -- it probably takes about 2 minutes. So for me the whole process takes about 6 minutes. Does that sound right?
#71 of 193 Old 01-22-2005, 11:04 PM

No, the whole process took probably at least 15 minutes for me. Putting hte oil on, massaging it in for a while, get water hot, then lots of wipe face, rinse cloth. I think part of my problem was being a little too liberal with the oil, but also a few times I saw what happened if I didn't get it all off properly so I was pretty paranoid about really getting every last bit, all around the jaw, hairline, etc...around the nose was at last 2 minutes! But when I try again I'll be trying to go a little esier on the oil, just more massaging it around to get it fully on, and plus ds is older and a bit more patient with my primping type stuff so that will be easier.
#72 of 193 Old 02-12-2005, 09:21 PM

I had to give up on OCM lately. My face was in terrible shape. I was getting pimples and they were not healing. I can't say for sure that it was the OCM that was causing it--stress and hormones were high--but I had to change something. Unfortunately, I can't do much about the hormones and the stress is less under my control than my cleanser.

Anyway, not wanting to give it up entirely, I am still using my mix (50/50 EVOO/ Castor oil with several drops of TTO) as a nighttime moisturizer. I find it's nice to rub into both dry areas and areas where there are blemishes.

Then, one day, I was examining the curliest part of my (widely varied) hair, and it was so dry and tight. I kind of felt *bad* for it. I put a drop of my oil mix on my hands and rubbed them together, then smoothed it and smoothed it into that patch of hair (staying away from the roots). It worked great! I did a bit on the other less dry parts, too.
#73 of 193 Old 02-12-2005, 09:29 PM

You use it as moisturizer? I tried that once, and the next day I had five pimples. It's the only time I have broken out since starting the OCM. I wonder if that's why you're breaking out. ??
#74 of 193 Old 02-12-2005, 11:11 PM

Hm, I haven't had any serious trouble since I stopped using it as a cleanser and just used it as a moisturizer, but I do suspect that I wasn't getting it all off when I was washing with it. And then I was patting just the tiniest bit onto my skin becaue it felt so *tight* after all that rubbing and steaming. So, maybe it was the double dose of residue plus moisturizer.

I suspect that--for me--the trouble may have been too much agitation of the skin. Maybe I wasn't rubbing gently enough. Maybe my water was too hot, or my washcloth too rough. The trouble is, I can't seem to get it off without doing the very hot washcloth routine. When I give it another shot--which I plan to sometime after my skin is all healed--maybe I'll use a soft flannel and just barely warm water.

I do like the method, and it's interesting to read what works and doesn't work for each of us. I want to try it again. It's like no-poo: When I first decided to try it, I asked a friend who doesn't shampoo how she cleans her hair, and basically followed her recipe. Then I got on this board and tried other variations. Now I have a better sense of what I like and don't like. But, my skin has to get back to itself before I can give a fair trial to any variation. But I think, when I do, I'll perhaps skip the moisturizer step, as you suggest, and just make sure my rinse doesn't leave my face thirsty.
#75 of 193 Old 02-13-2005, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
i just caught up with the last bit of this thread, which i have been following for a while. i have tried ocm in spurts, but i don't stick with it b/c i have been breaking out. maybe you all can help? i use co only. the evoo was just too greasy or something, i just know i did not like it. here are my ques/concerns:

1. i get horrible painful hard bumpy pimples along my jawline and chin. they are the type that don't come to a head, but after a day or two i can squeeze and get a white clump out. i know i am getting the oil off well enough, so is it maybe the solvent irritating me? i have super sensitive skin. i keep meaning to get some at the hfs, but haven't yet.

2. i never see anything come out, ever. not in my hand, not just looking at my nose and seeing that it is freer of blackheads. maybe i should add some coconut oil? all i have is spectrum.

3. although my skin feels nicer to the touch right after ocm, it gets more greasy sooner than if i use a cleanser or just water? what gives?

tia for input!

Bring back the old MDC
#76 of 193 Old 02-13-2005, 02:17 AM

Just wanted to add my $.02. I tried the OCM and got the mother of all breakouts. This was definately a no-go for me.
#77 of 193 Old 02-13-2005, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys
i just caught up with the last bit of this thread, which i have been following for a while. i have tried ocm in spurts, but i don't stick with it b/c i have been breaking out. maybe you all can help? i use co only. the evoo was just too greasy or something, i just know i did not like it. here are my ques/concerns:

1. i get horrible painful hard bumpy pimples along my jawline and chin. they are the type that don't come to a head, but after a day or two i can squeeze and get a white clump out. i know i am getting the oil off well enough, so is it maybe the solvent irritating me? i have super sensitive skin. i keep meaning to get some at the hfs, but haven't yet.

2. i never see anything come out, ever. not in my hand, not just looking at my nose and seeing that it is freer of blackheads. maybe i should add some coconut oil? all i have is spectrum.

3. although my skin feels nicer to the touch right after ocm, it gets more greasy sooner than if i use a cleanser or just water? what gives?

tia for input!
ditto on 1 2 & 3...my face looked dewy and nice after ocm but I gave up soon after trying it...too complicated & time consuming for me...my skin has gotten so much better....partly due to the micro dermabrasion cloth I started using a few months ago, my breakouts have kept getting less and less since using it.

you can find them on ebay...get a dermal grade cloth if anyones interested

dust.gif
#78 of 193 Old 02-13-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys

tia for input!
I use a 50/50 mix of castor oil and Burts bees apricot baby oil. For some reason, that's what really works for me... only when i use the apricot oil do the blackheads really come out.

Did the jawline pimples just begin when you started doing the OCM? I ask because that's just a pretty common place to get them, and it could be from your phone, or from resting your head on your hands, etc.

Otherwise, I'd try wiping the jawline with some witch hazel after doing the OCM. Perhaps all the bacteria and gunk from your face is ending up at the jawline as you're wiping off the oil. ??

Also, just a general tip... be sure to use a clean washcloth every time you wash your face. Otherwise you're just putting the bacteria from last time back on your face, plus whatever mildew has accumulated in the interim.
#79 of 193 Old 02-13-2005, 11:30 PM

i tried using only coconut oil last night and today my face is a grease pit. plain castor oil seems to be the best. i'm gonna try to get some at the hfs, even though i believe the one i have is cold pressed. i thought about everything ending up on the jaw line, but i use 3 or 4 washcloths each time, so i know i'm wiping well enough. (of course i don't re use 'em).

does castor oil cause the skin to purge? kind of like a die off of the skin? maybe if i stuck with it for a few weeks consistantly it would get better. but man, this is a long cleansing process, i just don't have the time every day. and it's messy as heck, too messy for the sink, and my tub is starting to get really yucky.

Bring back the old MDC
#80 of 193 Old 02-14-2005, 12:31 AM

i can't bring myself to try this, but i have started massaging longer with my gentle facial cleanser and my nose does look better

the problem with this is time. I know 6-15 minutes doesn't sound like much, but hey, that is about 4 showers for me!
LOL
And I am lucky to squeeze in a shower!

Life keeps a mama busy...

But I will try

abi, thanks for pointing that out! I would hate to see someone get some funky oils going onto their FACE!
drop
#81 of 193 Old 02-14-2005, 04:01 PM

I got almond oil yesterday and just used that last night, it felt great, and I felt like my face looked "glowy". I'm going to try it on dh today, he has giant, scary pores. He'll like the facial massage if nothing else. And I'm off to look for some microdermabrasion cloths.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#82 of 193 Old 02-15-2005, 07:00 PM

ok...ive come here to report on my experiment.

so, i was in the shower and i decided, hey, maybe if i just give my face a nice massage that will do some mimnimal version of this oil cleaning. i massaged it for like a minute ( with just my hands) , and noticed i was exfoliating..so kept it up..my face felt so good! it was radiant, smooth, and healthy looking for the first time in weeks, because i have been sick for a long time and really pale. i still had blackheads, but it just looked better. anyway my cheeks stayed rosey for the rest of the day! However....i now have a constellation of hard icky zits on my chin where i tend to break out.

i would like to give the oil method a try still, but i am worried about my skin type--i see above some others with similar sounding skin are having probs. should i avoid my chin, and just do the bridge of my nose where the blackheads are? also getting the oil off sounds really hard, esp if you dont want to use a washcloth. can it be rinsed off with a facail soap instead to avoid scrubbing with a cloth? or does that defeat the purpose?

also..im having trouble figuring out all the abbreviations you guys are using ( EEVOOO? ) ..would someone mind repeating what all the abreviated things are? thanks.
#83 of 193 Old 02-16-2005, 08:21 AM

After reading this thread, I ran to the bathroom with my EVOO, oatmeal and brown sugar. I did a oat and sugar scrub first for a couple of minutes, then rinsed with warm water. Then I did the EVOO massaging for about four minutes. I did the hot washcloth thing about four times, gently wiping the skin down each time. I can't say I saw any blackheads pop out, or even any dirt on the white washcloth.. but DH did say that my skin is soft!

But, I also experienced something funky.. my eyes are really blurry after rubbing the EVOO onto my face (I admit I rubbed it over my eyelids). Now they are watering up and I can't see very clearly. What the heck? Anyone else experience this?

Also, how do you know if you've removed all the oil off your face? What's it supposed to feel like?
#84 of 193 Old 02-16-2005, 12:40 PM

OK, I am converted! After my skin had a chance to relax, I took a look in the mirror and WOAH it glows!!!! It looks so... clean??? Yipeeee! I'm in
#85 of 193 Old 02-18-2005, 10:24 AM

EVOO= extra virgin olive oil

i think that washing with soap would kind of negate the whole ocm thing??? and i can't imagine doing it w/out a washcloth, it just would not get the oil off.

i've used it on my eye area too to remove makeup. just use hot water and wipe with the cloth and keep using a new cloth til it's gone.

i guess the reason i'm breaking out is b/c of my skin purging??? this method is soooo time consuming, i just cannot do it everyday, so what is happening is i am making myself break out, then healing b4 i completely purge, so the cycle never ends. anyone?

Bring back the old MDC
#86 of 193 Old 02-18-2005, 02:27 PM

ok this is silly but souldnt it be EVCO? with a "c" for castor? or is it a brand?

i dont think i dare trying it if it means lots of rubbing with a washcloth. that sounds like it would feel really nice, but i think it would make me break out. unless the above poster is right about purging? maybe i will do it when this semester is over and i can ust hide for a week or so while i turn into pizza face?

#87 of 193 Old 02-20-2005, 02:27 AM

duh! sorry SL, somwtimes my hands work faster than my brain.

Bring back the old MDC
#88 of 193 Old 02-20-2005, 03:43 PM

after i postd that though, i was wondering if you really mean Extra Virgin Olive Oil

that explains EVOO

and i think i knew that and then forgot about it or something.

anyway, thanks!

Stirr
#89 of 193 Old 02-20-2005, 05:20 PM

O.K.I have tried this twice,but as it is that dreadful time of the month,my face is broke out like crazy.Does this have to been done everyday to see results?As mentioned before this is time consuming.Also Do you have to use castor oil?I'll get some as soon as I get to the store later this week,but right now I just have EVOO and have been using that.The first time that I used it I noticed that my pores didn't look as dark even though I didn't have the stuff coming out as I had heard other people tell about.
Sonya

Wife to yikes2.gif and mama to: dd(14) lol.gifds(12)ROTFLMAO.giftwin ds'(10)twins.gif 

#90 of 193 Old 02-20-2005, 11:42 PM

just tried this yesterday for the first time...WOW! it's really amazing. i've always had problem skin. yesterday immediately after i did it i noticed a huge improvement. my skin actually looked dewey and so healthy. also, when i ran my fingers over it, it was sooooo smooth and soft. i really love it!

thanks to the OP!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page