Check this out! "Oil Cleansing Method"! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 193 Old 10-01-2005, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm out. My face is totally devastated. I haven't had a breakout like this EVER. I tried using castor oil mixed with EVOO and then moved to the grapeseed oil and it just got worse. Used the warm washcloth over the face and wiped several times to make sure I got it all out. I'm so disappointed. Sigh. It's back to Aveeno.
#122 of 193 Old 10-03-2005, 02:07 PM

No one could have been more skeptical than me, but I have to admit I OCM!

A few hours after washing with my old face cleaner, I felt like an oil slick. who woulda thunk?

off to learn about no-pooing (another thing I said I'd never do)
#123 of 193 Old 10-03-2005, 03:49 PM

well i am still holding strong. my face is still a wreak but i can tell its getting better. i still get new ones but then again my body is a bunch of raging hormones so i cant blame it on any face product. and the other reason i am keeping with it is because when i try and use anything else my face just reacts horribly.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#124 of 193 Old 10-03-2005, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been using the OCM for months, and I've been amazed at how well it works. I thought it might make things worse, but my skin actually improved! I stopped using shampoo too & will never go back!

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#125 of 193 Old 10-05-2005, 02:07 AM

Papaya, maybe you could try to wash with whatever worked for you before, but moisturize with EVOO, that way you at least are cutting out some of your chemicals. that it didn't work out. I'm sure that there is a mystery blend that would be just right, but I'm no natural dermatology wiz
I've used just EVOO for years as a moisturizer, but adding CO was fairly new to me. I'm not at all prone to breakouts, but have seriously dry skin. I am doing 25%CO and 75% EVOO. Looks and feels great!
#126 of 193 Old 10-05-2005, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajessica
I am doing 25%CO and 75% EVOO. Looks and feels great!
I actually use 75% CO and 25% EVOO. It works better for my skin, but everyone's skin is different.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#127 of 193 Old 10-05-2005, 06:10 PM

yea, I have pretty dry skin. Sometimes I even have to additionally moisturize with another bit of EVOO
#128 of 193 Old 11-20-2005, 02:23 PM

I just had to reply to this thread: I read this a few weeks ago and was quite skeptical. Then I received a sample of deep cleansing oil from DHC, and thought, if there are women who will pay $25 for a commercial product, there has to be some merit to it! So the sample has lasted 3 days, and I love it. No blackheads coming out yet, but the product instrux say to rinse with cool or lukewarm water. It's so light, too; I just have to rinse my hands and the oil comes right off. Then I wipe it off my face with a warm washcloth. I came back to this thread to check, because I was pretty sure I remembered the water should be "as hot as you can stand it."

So now I'm off to my co-op and hfs to try to find castor, coconut and rosemary oils. I have extremely dry skin, esp in winter, so plan to go easy on the castor. The DHC stuff is olive and rosemary (plus whatever else they won't tell me) and it's been working great. Takes my makeup right off, leaves my face feeling moist without an oil slick, but I do apply my Oil of Olay night cream when I'm done. In the morning, I rinse with water and apply my Olay with SPF.

I'll post an update with my experience, too.
#129 of 193 Old 11-21-2005, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kerriemoe, I don't use hot water either. It's too drying for my sensitive skin. I just use olive oil with a couple drops of rosemary oil in the shower, gently rub it in, towel off as usual. I keep the oils in a washed out vanilla extract brown bottle, which works nicely for keeping small amounts. I use a burts bees cream for night time, as the oil of olay night gave me a rash (so now I use it on my hands!). My skin seriously has never looked better!
#130 of 193 Old 11-21-2005, 04:07 PM

Rebecca, thanks, it's good to know I don't have to strip the oils from my face with super hot water.

I tried the OCM as written last night, with 50/50 CO/EVOO, steamed my face with the hot washcloth, then wiped a few times, splashed a few times. It really does feel great. My skin is smooth, not too oily and not too dry.

It's so funny; I spent the 1st 23 years of my life trying to remove oils from my skin, and the last 8 years trying to put them back in. Yet it never occurred to me to actually apply oils to my face. Duh.
#131 of 193 Old 11-29-2005, 10:59 PM

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this list and just wanted to check in to say that I read through all these posts two weeks ago and started a 50/50 EVOO/CO mix with a drop or two of lavendar. So far, so good. I skipped four days over the holiday weekend and saw a definite worsening of my skin. So I'm back into it and loving it.

One thing I've noticed is that it seems to quicken--and lessen--breakouts. For instance, if I OCM at night after noticing a bump forming that day, by the next morning it's pretty much gone.

Any ideas as to why it speeds along the breakouts? Do the oils help heal skin? Or, do they just hasten the process?

Happy with it so far!!!!

Kim
#132 of 193 Old 11-30-2005, 02:01 AM

Ok, after fighting with myself over this OCM and the logistics of it, I finally gave in and tried it. I've been doing it daily for a week now and I have to say I'm not impressed yet. I have commited to give it a full month, because I do realize that it may take some time to get the nastyness out of my skin before I notice anything. The one thing that bothers me is that my face feels really dry afterwards, like when I move my face or smile or whatever. To actually touch it its nice and soft though. wierd. Immediately after cleansing, my blackheads look much better which is nice, but I'm still really red and pimply. UGH.

Heres to another 3 weeks and hoping it gets better soon!

Michelle B, who lost her siggy priviledges for asking tough questions and standing up for whats right.
#133 of 193 Old 11-30-2005, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekymamaof2
The one thing that bothers me is that my face feels really dry afterwards, like when I move my face or smile or whatever.
Michelle, you might need to adjust the ratio of the oils. Instead of 50/50, maybe do 75/25, with more emphasis on the EVOO for moisturizing?

Or if you're happy with the ratio, you can put a tiny bit of EVOO or jojoba oil on your face afterwards for moisturizing.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#134 of 193 Old 11-30-2005, 05:42 PM

Okay, I'm sold. I'm going to have to try this now.

My poor kids are going to get dragged around the grocery store while I look for castor oil, lol!
#135 of 193 Old 12-01-2005, 06:22 PM

I've been using this method for months now! I love it. It leaves my skin glowing but not greasy!!!
#136 of 193 Old 12-05-2005, 12:41 AM

I just wanted to pop in and share my experience with the OCM...

I use 50/50 evoo/co morning and night. I then tone with witch hazel and use almond oil straight as a moisturizer and I am AMAZED at the results. I had all these spots on my cheeks and they have faded significantly in just a few days.

I am hooked!
#137 of 193 Old 12-07-2005, 06:48 PM

Alright, I gave it another week and a half before i realized this just isn't for me. I tried adding more EVOO, but my face was still painfully tight feeling, and within about 6 hours I could grease a pizza pan. LOL I went back to my regular cleanser and moisturizer this morning, and I couldn't beleive the amount of dead skin that sloughed off with my exfoliant. ICKY! But now, I look radiant and my skin feels great. Oh well, I guess one thing can't work for everyone.
#138 of 193 Old 12-08-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekymamaof2
Alright, I gave it another week and a half before i realized this just isn't for me. I tried adding more EVOO, but my face was still painfully tight feeling, and within about 6 hours I could grease a pizza pan. LOL I went back to my regular cleanser and moisturizer this morning, and I couldn't beleive the amount of dead skin that sloughed off with my exfoliant. ICKY! But now, I look radiant and my skin feels great. Oh well, I guess one thing can't work for everyone.
Michelle,

Sorry it did not work out for you. But you certainly did give it a good test run!

I'm happy that your regular routine is working for you. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

#139 of 193 Old 12-20-2005, 06:06 PM

I just found this thread yesterday! I had to try it, so i used some calendula baby oil as this was all i had. My skin is much softer and not as oily as i thought this would make it. I still have pimples but i guess they would not vanish over night.

I just have a few questions, will the EVOO and CO make a big difference rather than another oil? Those who said their blackheads dissapeared did you still have to squeeze them out ( sorry gross I know, but I have so many and I just want them gone) or did the dissolve with time?
#140 of 193 Old 12-21-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally Z
I just found this thread yesterday! I had to try it, so i used some calendula baby oil as this was all i had. My skin is much softer and not as oily as i thought this would make it. I still have pimples but i guess they would not vanish over night.

I just have a few questions, will the EVOO and CO make a big difference rather than another oil? Those who said their blackheads dissapeared did you still have to squeeze them out ( sorry gross I know, but I have so many and I just want them gone) or did the dissolve with time?

Well, I didn't stick with the castor oil long enough to know on that specifically. I found it too thick for me and hard to wash off.

I was using grapeseed oil and jojoba. I have recently switched to extra virgin olive oil, jojoba oil, and aloe vera gel (the juice kind you keep in the fridge) which is working great.

As for the blackheads, I notice that when I'm pretty conisitent about using OCM (everyday or every other day), the blackheads look smaller and less noticeable. I don't get lots of plugs coming out, but I will get one or 2. So I think the effects are cumulative if you stick with it.

Once or week or so, I add a tiny bit of baking soda for a gentle scrub, following with an ACV toner to balance the pH. That helps too.

HTH...

P.S. gosh, I've posted a lot on this thread. You think I like this method?

#141 of 193 Old 12-21-2005, 04:16 PM

Okay, FYI

here's another place they discussed using olive oil as a cleanser:

Anyone use olive oil as a 'facewash'?

Might I add there is 42 pages of discussion????

#142 of 193 Old 12-21-2005, 08:42 PM

I have never been the type to get break outs, not sure why, but since moving to TX my skin has changed, this winter it is always itchy for some reason. Not the laundry soap, no new cleansers or anything, just so dang dry I think. I might try this as at the UU Church Bazaar I got a bar of EVOO soap. Never seen it before and it is not sented or anything. I have been using it as hand soap actually as I am breastfeeding baby and so my hands are often on my nipples helping baby latch I did not like the idea of his getting chemicals as well.

Blessings,
Kimmy

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#143 of 193 Old 12-29-2005, 06:18 AM

Thanks loon13
I have been doing it for about a weeka nd although my skin in no oilier it seems to be getting blocked, I have quite a few new spots. The CO is so thick that it is really hard to get off. I wonder if I am getting enough off or if there is so left blocking my pores. Maybe I should try just EVOO
#144 of 193 Old 01-01-2006, 11:49 PM

I can't thank you enough for starting this thread. I read some of the other boards linked to in this post and have learned a lot

DH and I have been using this for 2 weeks now. I typically have combo skin...drier in the winter but oilier in the t-zone after a few hours. I get the occasional pimple but my primary problem is uneven skin tone/color....I'm quite blotchy normally. DH is combo as well...he gets a pimple or two a week.

We've been using unrefined coconut oil (just Spectrum since we have it on hand) and organic EVOO in a 50/50 mixture. It is working out wonderfully.
I actually mixed some up and traveled with it while we were away over the holidays because we like it so much.

I can tell today, after doing this for 2 weeks now, that my skin tone has evened out noticeably. I mean, noticeably. I still use mineral makeup foundation, but my skin is *much* better looking. DH isn't breaking out any more, and maybe a bit less in fact. He agrees his face is NOT oily from the cleanser, but is much more moisturized and *feels* better.

I actually looked for castor oil at Whole Foods before Christmas but it was a madhouse and I couldn't find it . I'm happy with the coconut oil/EVOO combo though so for now I'll stick with that.

DH and I feel like we've been duped all of these years LOL. He keeps saying it We are so happy with this routine and I hope we keep seeing good results from it because we it. I feel like I know some secret now or something I have to share with my mom...I bet she'd love it.

Thanks again for the thread!!
#145 of 193 Old 01-11-2006, 06:01 PM

Oh How excited i am... I feel like i have a wonderful night ahead of me, plannign to take anice hot shower, and try this for the first time.. Just got castor oil from the supermarket though I hope it doesn't cause problems... We will see.. I put it in one of the peri-cleanse bottles from when i had DS... Maybe i will keep in int he fridge when i am not using it, as it is about 8 oz. total...
so, i was wondering if anyoen had tried using the microfiber cleaning cloths, like the ones you can use in cloth diapers.. fromt eh automotive section in ***mart??? just a thought, have a bunch of those on hand... or shoudl i be using a new washcloth each time?? I ahve a bunch from when DS was a newborn, used those as wipes... I guess i could use his cloth wipes as well, the bigger ones... ok, can't wait to try this!! thanks for the info!!

[SIZE="1"]Holly, slightly crunchy mama to my happy, energetic, sensitive Aiden (8/04) and My peanut girly girl, independent and proud Lillian (3/07)... Wife to my Jonathan, and a cancer SURVIVOR... now and forever!
#146 of 193 Old 05-11-2007, 10:57 PM

:

Jennifer, Homeschooling mama to Julianna 1996,
Noah born at home 2002, Elijah waterborne at home 2004,: and Isabella: waterborne at home 2007
#147 of 193 Old 05-12-2007, 01:58 AM

:

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#148 of 193 Old 05-12-2007, 01:56 PM

Oookay, need some help here. Tried this for the first time this morning. After reading through the threads, the general consensus seems to be that it won't work as well (or not at all) if you don't have enough oil. But, can you use too much oil? What is the EXACT amount you guys are using??

I filled my palm up with it, about 75% CO and 25% EVOO. I had to wipe my face off about 15 times before I felt like I got most of it off, but I can tell in spots that it's definately still oily...but I can't do anything about it. I tried to use witch hazel to get some of it off afterwards, but no luck.

Yuck. I knew I shouldn't have attempted this the day before mothers day. I'm going to look nasty tomorrow.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#149 of 193 Old 05-13-2007, 12:17 PM

I tried this last night for the first time, too. I think, overall, I am pleased with the results. It does take FOREVER to rinse off. I did it again before my shower this morning. It still took a long time. But my face feels really good. And a big pimple is now very much smaller.

But I don't think I'll be washing with oil regularly. Heck, with a new baby, I'm lucky if I wash my face at all, much less in a time consuming manner.

I will try it again when time allows. For day to day, I like honey better.
#150 of 193 Old 01-05-2008, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to resurrect this thread.

I have combo skin that is very prone to breakouts. Would CO and grapeseed oil be appropriate, or should I use CO/EVOO? Or a combo of the three?

And then only EVOO I currently have in the house is a store brand that tastes rancid. I don't think I want to rub that on my face...

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page