any way to get rid of wasp nests without them (or me) getting hurt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-05-2004, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have 2 wasps nests being built right above my entrance way. i have this extreme fear of wasps, having been stung several times. it is a major phobia. anyway, the nests are small.. i bought a wasp trap (that you put sweet liquid into, they fly in and die), but i'm feeling weird about using it, so i haven't hung it up yet. on the one hand i really want to get rid of them before their population grows, on the other, i hate to kill! even scary, mean wasps. maybe they are nice guys, deep down, you know? so i'm thinking knocking the things down would be a bad idea. any nonviolent alternatives?
#2 of 19 Old 07-05-2004, 08:01 PM

My story won't help in your situation since you can't turn your house upside down but let me tell ya what worked for the wasp nest on dd's toddler swing. They had built a small nest under the back edge of her swing......and I had been debating what to do about them. I was mowing with the riding mower and ended up turning the swing upside down by accident. Dh comes along and askes what happened to the wasps since they were not on the nest. I looked closely and they were there just way up on top of it. I left it upside down and the next day they were gone and they stayed gone all day. I popped the nest off and tossed it away. It was sort of sad as there was some larva and several cells with eggs in them. But pulling a 180 on them made them abandon the nest. I have looked for them to rebuild but they have not so far.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#3 of 19 Old 07-05-2004, 08:05 PM

Sorry, I don't much about bees or wasp beyond reading "The Secret Life of Bees". However, I wonder if you could smoke them out with like a smudge stick or something and then remove the nest when they leave. Just a thought. I really don't know.
#4 of 19 Old 07-05-2004, 08:13 PM

I am deathly afraid of anything that has wings too.
I have 2 suggestions.
1 - hire an exterminator or
2 - call down to your electrical supply house to see if they carry bee spray. They should have the super duper stuff that kills them on contact. If they don't carry it, look for a phone or cable guy in your area. I know phone guys always carry that stuff for sure.

I know this is not exactly non-violent, but it will work
#5 of 19 Old 07-05-2004, 08:48 PM

I have a buddhist way of looking at all living things too, so I know what you mean. We have a wasp next at the end of our L-shaped porch, and I was tempted to knock it down when there was just one wasp there but just couldn't do it. Now it's a wee bit bigger and there's two more wasps lol. If it were any closer to our in and out traffic I'd of done something but so far we seem to be co-existing ok.

Wasps getting in the house? My only use for that symbol of big 80's mall hair - Aqua-Net.
#6 of 19 Old 07-07-2004, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

hey, thanks for all the ideas!

i am such a wimp. i am too afraid to anything. so watch, i'll do nothing, and they'll become like 12 seperate tribes and probably even end up getting in my house. gah. about 5 years ago i had a wasp problem in this really old house i was living in, and i would stay up sometimes till 4 am shooing them outside! i was petrified of them, and i couldn't sleep with them in my room, nor could i kill them.

i think i will try somehow smoking them out and see if that works at all.. but i'm not even sure how to go about that. cuz won't they just come back after the smoke is gone?
#7 of 19 Old 07-07-2004, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just put a metal garbage can filled about 1/3-1/2 way with damp leaves & small sticks as close to the bottom of the nest as you can - set it on something sturdy & unburnable and get it really close to the nest so it will get overwhelmingly smoky. Set a small fire in there after dark & let it smoulder for a very long time - like overnight. Refill for a day or so & I bet they'll be gone.

Once they're gone, just knock down the nest with a shovel or a scraper or something.
#8 of 19 Old 07-08-2004, 01:35 AM

Ugh, wasps nests are awful!! Especially when you knock one over and don't know it until you have a swarm of them stinging your shoulder : : (yes this happened to me last summer )
good luck getting rid of them.
#9 of 19 Old 07-08-2004, 10:37 AM

It sounds like these wasps are causing you a lot of worry. I say kill them!

I also don't like killing things. I will always capture and release even the scariest of spiders, but sheesh! Get yourself some yucky spray, wait till night time, soak the nest and be done with them!

...or do what you think is best :
#10 of 19 Old 07-08-2004, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeard
any nonviolent alternatives?
You're joking right? I think that's the most silliest thing I have ever heard! They don't care about hurting you... My son has been stung 4 times this summer so far by them. He wasn't doing a thing to them. Didn't know that they were there. Guess THEY thought he was to close to them. We used Raid or whatever DH has, got the nests down, and killed them. People can be severly allergic to them, so why wait? My dad has to carry one of those injection things with him at all times.

And I agree with ladyluna. I don't enjoy killing things, but wasps are different.
#11 of 19 Old 07-08-2004, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

yes, that's my biggest worry. i have no idea whether my sons are allergic or not, and i really don't want to find out! arg! well.. maybe i'll see if my landlord can hire someone. then i won't have to feel as guilty..

i like the smokin idea, but i don't have a metal garbage can, and i'm also paranoid about fires! what a ball of neurosis i am!
#12 of 19 Old 07-08-2004, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nature works on a species level, whether we like to acknowledge that or not...

It's no sin to protect yourself and your family from a dangerous creature, especially since it's not like you have sought out its habitat to move into...

If you can knock the nest down without killing them, and without getting stung, they will likely just rebuild elsewhere. Problem solved, and killing minimized.

"What will you do once you know?"
#13 of 19 Old 06-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybee View Post
I am deathly afraid of anything that has wings too.
I just looked at your site, lovely by the way, and your background is bees.

On a serious note though, I am lurking because I just discovered a bees nest on my balcony.
#14 of 19 Old 06-02-2007, 05:27 PM

Bees I don't tend to mind so much. Bees understand the concept of peaceful co-existance. Bees usually follow the "if you don't bother them, they won't bother you" school of thought.

Wasps, hornets, yellow jackets -- those, however, are a pestilence straight from the pit of hell. They don't care whether you're bothering them or not; they'll sting you just for fun. They get mad if you try to blow them away from your soda can, and sting you. They'll gang up on you and sting you while you're just innocently sitting there doing nothing, nowhere near them.

And the more often you or your children get stung, the more likely you/they are to develop an allergy. It only takes two or three stings to develop one.

I say they have no business building their house in your house, when they don't have your best interests in mind and have no intention of "not bothering" you. In the famous words of Bugs Bunny, "Of course you realize, DIS means WAR!"

I say don't play around with allergies and potential harm to your kids. Get rid of them! They'd do the same to you if they could.

Finding space and peace of mind, right where you are. Knowing that the less you own, the more control you have.
Realizing that less is not more, because you don't want more. You have too much already.  Less is best!                              www.lessisbest.net
#15 of 19 Old 06-02-2007, 06:10 PM

kill them.

They will build a huge nest. Dad found 2 in trees when we were getting married. The 1 was over 2 feet long. Even if you only see a couple wasps, trust me there are way more than what you see.
#16 of 19 Old 06-02-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neth Naneth View Post
I just looked at your site, lovely by the way, and your background is bees.

On a serious note though, I am lurking because I just discovered a bees nest on my balcony.
Thank you! My gosh, this thread is from 3 years ago!
I have since then gone to see a hypno-therapist about my bee phobia, and I am happy to say they no longer make me run around and scream like a mad woman.

Good luck with your bee problem.
#17 of 19 Old 06-02-2007, 08:29 PM

Be very careful. We had a huge bee problem last year. They started a hive on the side of the house - within days, they had infiltrated the house and where everywhere. Africanized bees have killed out most domestic bees and they are very dangerous. I wouldn't mess around with it. If it's an active hive - call a professional and have it removed. Do not mess around with it yourself. I understand nonviolence and all that but you have to protect yourself and your family and bees can be deadly.
#18 of 19 Old 06-03-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conteuse View Post
Wasps, hornets, yellow jackets -- those, however, are a pestilence straight from the pit of hell. They don't care whether you're bothering them or not; they'll sting you just for fun. They get mad if you try to blow them away from your soda can, and sting you. They'll gang up on you and sting you while you're just innocently sitting there doing nothing, nowhere near them.

And the more often you or your children get stung, the more likely you/they are to develop an allergy. It only takes two or three stings to develop one.

I say they have no business building their house in your house, when they don't have your best interests in mind and have no intention of "not bothering" you. In the famous words of Bugs Bunny, "Of course you realize, DIS means WAR!"

I say don't play around with allergies and potential harm to your kids. Get rid of them! They'd do the same to you if they could.

Actually this is close to my story! When I was little a friend and I were playing minding our business, there was a hornets nest under a grill we were pretending to cook on, we were suddenly covered in the little beasties my baby sitter hosed us down and rushed us to the ER. I ended up developing a severe allergy/phobia to these things. If I see them I get shaky and sweaty - anyway in the summer I have to keep an epi stick with me at all times in case I get stung - which has happend!...a nasty hornet just landed on my and stung me, wtf?? The are easily annoyed and attack without warning.

Personnally - I say kill them!! But if you wish to get rid of them humanely, call an exterminator to find out your options. Smoking might work but I would let a pro handle it.
#19 of 19 Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM

Humane removal of nests

I find a queen waiting out the winter in my house sometimes. I can't bring myself to kill them--or spiders or anything else. In fact, I keep these queens alive with water and apple slices. They are very docile, totally nonaggressive. I've never been stung. We have wasps build a nest inside our porch overhang every summer. We sit beneath at times and they totally ignore us. Last summer hornets started building a nest in our shed, so I got up on morning at 5:00 when they were still sleeping and/or sluggish. I fit a small jar under the nest and scraped it quickly into the jar. One or two woke briefly, then settled right back down. I took them to an old dead tree in the woods, gently slid the nest from the jar--and all was good. A couple flew out and away w/o giving me a glance. I had taped the cuffs on my shirt and pants closed, wore a hat and face mask and didn't need a bit of it. However, I'll take the same precautions tomorrow morning when I remove another from the same shed.

I wouldn't try this with larger nests--these are golfball-size. That's why I can do this w/o fear. Caution, yes. I respect them. They attack to defend their home--and that's understandable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page