Looking for new lotion.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-09-2001, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been using Nature's Gate lotion w/the orange label, but I want to find something more natural. I have tried African Formula's DermaCare lotion, but it is not very thick. I do use their Therapeautic Body Butter sometimes for my hands or feet, but it only comes in one fairly small size. As much as I like the idea of using Aubrey Organics, they are pretty expensive for a relatively small amount. (I do have the book he wrote on how to make your own body/hair care products - perhaps I should find it and check out the recipes....)

I use lotion all over once a day after my shower, and several times a day on my hands - they are very dry. I've tried oils, but so far have not found one that lasted all day.

If anyone has a fairly simple recipe for a lotion for dry skin (I make my own for my face from an old family recipe and 2-3 other ingredients) or a suggestion for a different brand, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Pam
#2 of 4 Old 12-09-2001, 02:39 PM

Pam, my after the holidays goal is to make my own natural body lotion! I buy it in bulk now, a gallon at atime. I would recomend that for you too! You could check out your local co-op and see if they sell bulk lotions (bring your own container type stuff)). Otherwise, you can buy them online just like I do, but you'll have to pay full price, where I pay wholesale (pretty big difference).

There are tons of great natural lotions out there. I would love to make my own for home use, but I don't think I will resell it. The stuff I buy now for resale is very nice (has green tea in it and smells lovely). I bought it at LAvenderLane.com
The aloe lotion at soapcrafters is very thick and creamy, but it has an earthy scent that is too strong for some people.

I'll let you know if my homemade batch works out! THe last homemade lotion I made had too much beeswax and was more like udder balm! LOL great for pregnant bellies, though1
#3 of 4 Old 12-12-2001, 03:22 PM

I've recently started using a product by Shikai called Borage Dry Skin Treatment. It's key ingredient is the borage oil, which they say is good for treating chronic dry skin. The label cites a study published in the British Journal of Dermatology: 129:95,1993. I am very prone to winter excema on my legs and forearms, which was even worse this fall probably because of pregnancy. Since I've started using this lotion once a day after bathing, I have not had any flare ups or even itchy legs. I found it at the local co-op. The brand has a website at www.shikai.com, which I have not looked at yet.

The lotion is not thick or greasy, which kind of surprised me. The bottle is a very unnatural obnoxious purple and green. It cost 11.09 for an 8oz. bottle. To me the relief/prevention of the winter excema is well worth the cost.

I don't know what makes a product more or less natural. The ingredient list reads:
purified water, aloe vera gel, safflower oil, glyceryl stearate, glycerin, jojoba oil, borage oil, cetyl alcohol, vitamin E acetate, dimethicone, shea butter, sandalwood oil, imidazolidinyl urea.

If anyone here can concoct a lip balm recipe using the borage oil, please pass it on to me. My lips are chronically dry too.
#4 of 4 Old 12-13-2001, 12:01 AM

How about Shea butter? I love it. It's fragrance free and no crap added! Very natural... and moisturizes sooo well!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page