Toxic Plastic - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 134 Old 08-11-2004, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There was a thread a few days (weeks?) ago that was titled funky fridges, or at least that was the point of the thread. I had mentioned that I recycle my cottage cheese dishes to hold leftovers so I can just throw the whole thing out if I am too scared to open it.

Someone posted something about the # on the plastic, and the level of toxicness. I remember #1 was bad, but wasn't there another one too?

And I had a customer tell me that if you freeze a water bottle, then drink the water as it melts, that it is toxic water. She said that it didn't matter what # plastic it was. :

I always do this! I freeze water, then drink it at the park, work, everywhere. I wouldn't drink much water if couldn't have frozen water so handy.

Someone! Please tell me it aint so!!! Please post any links so that I might educate myself on this horrible revelation!
#2 of 134 Old 08-11-2004, 10:36 AM

wow hadn't heard that aboutt he water before...I too love to do that when I am going to be out, so I will be watching this with interest
#3 of 134 Old 08-11-2004, 10:40 AM

I can't find the thread, but I have read that #7 is the worst...and what do you know, that's the type of bottle my water cooler at home has. :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 134 Old 08-11-2004, 11:01 AM

It is true. I have read many an article on this. When you freeze the water in plastic the plastic leeches into the water and is toxic to the body. Also microwaving in plastic of any kind is toxic. Even covering a dish with plastic wrap...toxic. It was suggested to microwave with only glassware and to use paper towels to cover if necessary. Frozen TV type dinners should be removed from plastic containers and placed in a casserole dish to bake. Apparently, plastic is a carcagen (sp?). I have been real careful since reading about this. I went out and bought a wide mouth water bottle so I could fit larger size ice cubes and I fill my bottle with ice and a little water so it can melt slowly and stay cold. Tina
#5 of 134 Old 08-11-2004, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
do a search in Natural Home..... Weve had several threads on the dangers of plastic with links to info about different #s. I just packed up all my tupperware and put it in the garage to see if I could really do without it. I bought some pyrex and have never looked back!
#6 of 134 Old 08-11-2004, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for pointing me in that direction. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I guess it's better than poisoning myself.

And what's Pyrex?
#7 of 134 Old 08-11-2004, 07:05 PM

Quote:
And what's Pyrex?

Glass food storage containers.
#8 of 134 Old 08-11-2004, 10:41 PM

Here's one of the longer threads:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=156392

And here's another:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=171671

The basics are:
#1 is considered one of the safer plastics but should not be re-used.

#2 & #5 are also considered among the safer ones. They should never be microwaved (well, none of them should).

#3, #4, #6 & #7 are the ones that are worse. #3 is PVC and comes in the form of that white plastic piping stuff & also as soft, clear plastic-wrap. Very tricky. #4 is often used for plastic bags. #6 is essentially styrofoam. #7 is that clear, hard plastic that can sometimes be mistaken for glass from a distance. People often use these for water bottles (like Nalgene bottles).

The main problem with most plastic is that it leaches carcinogens into food & drinks, especially when they are heated or when the contents are higher in fat (like meat & cheese). #7 is also a hormone disrupter. I think #3 is a hormone disrupter, too, but don't quote me on that. All of this info can be found in the links in the threads above. I just really care about this stuff & I thought I'd give the basics for those of you who don't have time to read through the threads.
#9 of 134 Old 08-11-2004, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsmom
do a search in Natural Home..... Weve had several threads on the dangers of plastic with links to info about different #s. I just packed up all my tupperware and put it in the garage to see if I could really do without it. I bought some pyrex and have never looked back!
How do you freeze food? I asked about this at the beginning of the summer, and it seemed like it was real hard to get away from plastic.
#10 of 134 Old 08-12-2004, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCafe
I thought I'd give the basics for those of you who don't have time to read through the threads.
Thanks. That's what I needed, the basics, for starters anyway.

So I've been reusing the water bottles from the store. But as they are a #1, I can't reuse them. What about the rubbermaid sippers? I would assume those can be reused. Does anyone know what # they are? And can they be frozen.

And what about ice cube trays? They are plastic. What's up with that. And those plastic pop sickle trays....

Gosh... this is so hard. Everything is going to kill me.
#11 of 134 Old 08-12-2004, 01:27 AM

#1 is one use only so definitely don't reuse it.

I agree w/the above post, but I have read that #s 2 & 4 are okay and 5 is somewhat okay.

BUT...freezing water? : I always freeze water, milk, juice in #2 Nalgene bottles for the cooler while camping. I haven't seen that printed anywhere.

Check out
www.thegreenguide.com
#12 of 134 Old 08-12-2004, 01:56 AM

:
#13 of 134 Old 08-12-2004, 02:29 AM

another idea for the microwave is to transfer food into a ceramic bowl and use paper plates as a cover. instead of nalgene bottles, a lot of mamas were recommending the alum sigg bottles, also in several posts on natural home and body.

when related threads about plastic were hopping on that boardi was pretty shocked that avent bottles are also a no-go, considering that so many moms freeze breastmilk in those bottles. argh!! we switched over to gerber tinted and medela bottles only, but are breastmilk storage bags ok? i'm assuming the enlightened folks at medela know better. please tell me this is so.
#14 of 134 Old 08-12-2004, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I found this:
http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc.mht...ferbabybottles

That implies that freezing breastmilk in #5 bottles are "safer". So the Rubbermaid #5 should be an ok halfway point.

Here's a likn to a page talking about the plastic storage bags for breastmilk.
http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/...sp?Main_ID=338

Here's a PDF file that has a lot of the popular name brands. But get out your spectacles, it's tiny print.
http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/...asticchart.pdf
#15 of 134 Old 08-12-2004, 07:51 AM

Some posts say #4 is a bad one, some say it's ok? what's the deal... curious?

I apply this to toys, I was just reading in Mothering's book NFL about toys leaching lead if they are chlorinated plastic (or something like that), and I thought #2 and #4 were ok? I figure for young babies toys and food containers are pretty much the same!
#16 of 134 Old 08-12-2004, 01:14 PM

Although we are not a totally plastic free home (by a long shot), I never microwave or put hot food in plastic containers. Or use plastic serving spoons. Always pyrex or ceramic. I'm curious how everyone freezes food though. Are freezer bags ok? I'm having a hard time getting away from freezer bags and of course ice trays. Its so hard to get totally away from plastic but I figure every little bit helps! And heating food and freezing foods seem to be the most dangerous.
#17 of 134 Old 08-12-2004, 02:33 PM

Here's a link from the thread about plastics in Home & Body Care. It gives a pretty good summary of what the numbers mean:

http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/...sp?Main_ID=353

This one says to avoid #3, #6, & #7. I misspoke about #4. Sorry about that. I thought I read on that link that #4 should be avoided, too. My mistake.

I DO store food in plastic freezer bags, but I try not to let things thaw in the bag. I buy frozen veggies from a co-op & they come in plastic bags. I take them out when frozen & steam them on the stove. When freezing food yourself you can use pyrex (glass containers with plastic lids). I try to make sure the food doesn't contact the lid. There's also a brand called Luminarc that sells glass containers with plastic lids. They are freezer, microwave & dishwasher safe.
#18 of 134 Old 08-12-2004, 03:08 PM

does anyone know about Brita water filters? It just occurred to me that it might be one of the bad plastics???
#19 of 134 Old 08-12-2004, 03:14 PM

I don't know if this is on topic or not, but here is some info I found. on Urbanledgends.com

Microwave Ovens, Plastic Wrap and Dioxin

Analysis

While some of the claims made in these emails are questionable at best, food safety experts do agree that consumers should take the following precautions when using plastic wrap or plastic containers in a microwave oven:

Only plastic containers or packaging labeled "Microwave Safe" should be used in microwave ovens.

If plastic wrap is used when microwaving, it should not be allowed to come into direct contact with food. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, chemical components can indeed "migrate" from plastics into food at microwaving temperatures. However, there is scant evidence to date, says the agency, that such contaminants pose a serious threat to human health.

Dioxins in plastic wrap?

Dioxins and dioxin-related compounds are pollutants that mainly enter the environment (and food supply) as industrial by-products. Particular dioxin compounds are considered to be highly toxic, with known health hazards ranging from birth defects to cancer.

Studies have shown that dioxins may be released into the atmosphere when chlorinated plastics such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC) - which is a component of some plastic wraps and food packaging - are incinerated at high temperatures, but there is no research demonstrating that dioxins are produced when the same plastics are heated in a microwave oven.

DEHA [Di(2-ethylhexyl)adipate]

DEHA is a "plasticizer" - a softening compound added to plastic products to make them more pliable. It is an ingredient in some plastic wraps. Studies - including the one initiated by high school student Claire Nelson (mentioned in one of the email texts above) - have shown that DEHA can migrate into food.

At issue is whether or not it is toxic to human beings. The current scientific consensus is that it is not - at least not in the minute amounts resulting from migration from plastics into foods.

Even though DEHA has long been regarded as a possible human carcinogen, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency removed it from its list of toxic chemicals in the late 1990s after concluding, based on a review of the scientific evidence, that "it cannot reasonably be anticipated to cause cancer, teratogenic effects, immunotoxicity, neurotoxicity, gene mutations, liver, kidney, reproductive or developmental toxicity or other serious or irreversible chronic health effects."

Controversy

It must be noted that while the plastics industry and government health agencies in both the U.S. and Europe currently maintain that chemicals migrating into food from plastic wraps and containers pose no human health threat, consumer and environmental groups say otherwise. Both sides support their case by citing a lack of concrete evidence. The FDA argues that no studies have yet demonstrated toxic effects on humans; consumer advocates argue that not enough studies have been done.

Virtually all sources do agree on one important point: Consumers can and should protect themselves when using plastic products in the microwave by following the basic precautions stated above.
#20 of 134 Old 08-12-2004, 03:35 PM

aww man! I just stopped microwaving plastic a few months ago, and kick myself when I look back. When we started dd on solids, we reused thos little applesauce containers for bowls and reheated the ice cubes of baby foods in them. I just looked and they're #7. Until today, we used them still for cold foods. Poor thing! They are going now!
#21 of 134 Old 08-14-2004, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail
When we started dd on solids, we reused thos little applesauce containers for bowls and reheated the ice cubes of baby foods in them. I just looked and they're #7. Until today, we used them still for cold foods. Poor thing! They are going now!
ME TOO!!! I thought they were great to put snacks in for the road. Luckily there were only a few of them that has survived this long. And I thought I was doing good by recycling!

I weeded out my cabinets today. I didn't have that much bad plastic, not as much as I thought I would have. Only one of my 4 Gerber sippy's is bad, the color change one is a #7, the rest are #4's. I was sure the sippy's I bought from the dollar store, (3 for a dollar,) would be bad. Nope, they are #5. Very happy about that, I have a ton of those. Had to toss all my water bottles. All #1's and #7's. I have no idea what I'm going to drink till I can get to the store to buy something else. The water cooler at work is a #7, but what is worse, drinking out of Lead or PVC pipes or a toxic water bottle?

Sigh, ignorance is bliss... toxic, but still bliss.
#22 of 134 Old 08-14-2004, 08:06 AM

I saw some of the #2 playtex sippy's yesterday at LLL, so I'm going to try and get some. I'd packed away her Gerber one a long time ago. I forget which # it was, but i recall that it was a bad one. We continued to use the one we got at Zellers that was store brand, because it was unmarked, so I assumed it was ok... But now I want to get rid of it, too. It's a very hard plastic. It has two handles thought, which is why we got it when she was really little.
I keep trying to get dh into this, but he did his own internet research and found some site that said that though the nalgene bottles were bad, you were more likely to get into a car accident on your way to the store to replace it, ot something like that ( I can't remember the exact statistic). Well, I'll keep working on him.
#23 of 134 Old 08-15-2004, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail
I keep trying to get dh into this, but he did his own internet research and found some site that said that though the nalgene bottles were bad, you were more likely to get into a car accident on your way to the store to replace it, ot something like that ( I can't remember the exact statistic). Well, I'll keep working on him.
I was talking about this with my manager the other day. We were discussing how the toxins act like a hormone inhibitor whatever thingy.... Anyway. It's interesting how plastic has only been prevalent over the last 30 years or so, and Breast cancer has exploded in the last 20 years. Coincidence, probably not. At least I can see the corelation. Also, the rest of the hormonal imbalances that plague our lives. So many people are having problems getting pregnant. All the other cancers that are instagated by hormones, or lack of. Not to mention ADD and ADHT and all that craziness.

Getting hit by a car would be less painful way to die. That's my opinion anyway.
#24 of 134 Old 08-15-2004, 01:02 PM

Ok.. a bit OT: all this talk about microwaving has prompted me to share the following info about how bad using a microwave is, not just with plastic but in general. we had one for years but after reading a article in a local paper titled 'ten reasons to toss your microwave' i tossed mine as well... read up on it, you wont want to use yours anymore either.

http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards.htm
#25 of 134 Old 08-15-2004, 08:25 PM

Quote:
but what is worse, drinking out of Lead or PVC pipes or a toxic water bottle?
I would like to know too, we are in an older apartment building and Im scared to drink out of the pipes, but we buy bottles water in those 18.5L jugs and they are made of #7.
Ive seen 18.5L glass jugs at superstore for wine making, I should pick a few of those up.

Anyone have any alternatives for plastic ice cube trays?
#26 of 134 Old 08-15-2004, 08:54 PM

thrift shops and ebay has old metal ice cube trays..and I sure someone is still making them....maybe. I hope, cuz i need some too :LOL
#27 of 134 Old 08-16-2004, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel
thrift shops and ebay has old metal ice cube trays..
But what are they made of? If they are aluminum they they could cause alzhiemers. My mom had a couple metal trays that would leave metal flakes in the ice. I'd be nervous to use the old kind. (plus I vaguely remember a toung on the metal tray incident, so that might be where my fright of freezing metal comes from. )
#28 of 134 Old 08-18-2004, 06:43 PM

:
#29 of 134 Old 08-18-2004, 07:09 PM

just watching. thanks all
maya

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#30 of 134 Old 08-18-2004, 11:47 PM

My microwave is built in, but it will sit unused and lonely from now on!! Thanks, Ava!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page