eczema in baby's neck folds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-13-2004, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have or had experience with a bad case of eczema in the baby's neck? Doctor told to use cortizone cream and vaseline to seal the medicine and later to use just vazeline to seal the skin from moisture. I do not like using medicine, but my son is sratching, and it becomes dark red! Any more gentle remedies.
I read about diet change, and although I don't use dairy much, but once in a while I eat yogurt, or sometimes eat in the restaurant-and there it is impossible to know, what are you getting. I should be more carefull, since I am breatfeeding-although he did not get it until a month ago, and he is almost a year old. To my son I don't give allergic foods.
#2 of 9 Old 08-15-2004, 03:42 AM

Well...I don't have any children...but I do have eczema and have had it since I was an infant. I only use cortizone cream when my eczema flares up REALLY bad (and that's rarely). I have used diaper cream when it's really red and weepy and itchy ( I think that the zinc really helps). Other than that I use lot, and lots of cetaphil cream (not the lotion) or aquaphor. Try to get as much air between those little folds as possible. I still get eczema on top of my feet and inbetween my toes when I wear my shoes all day. I know that it's not athlete's foot, but just that little bit of sweat combined with my sensitive skin flares up my skin. As far as food goes...I avoid coffee, and soy (it also causes my face to break out as well), if I eat lots of tomatoes, my skin gets a little sensitive too.

I wish I could help more. There's more info and treatments available today than when I was a kid. I just remember cortizone cream and lots of oatmeal baths. Good luck mama!
#3 of 9 Old 08-15-2004, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieliausmama
Does anyone have or had experience with a bad case of eczema in the baby's neck? Doctor told to use cortizone cream and vaseline to seal the medicine and later to use just vazeline to seal the skin from moisture. I do not like using medicine, but my son is sratching, and it becomes dark red! Any more gentle remedies.
I read about diet change, and although I don't use dairy much, but once in a while I eat yogurt, or sometimes eat in the restaurant-and there it is impossible to know, what are you getting. I should be more carefull, since I am breatfeeding-although he did not get it until a month ago, and he is almost a year old. To my son I don't give allergic foods.
Are you sure its eczema and not a yeast rash? A good way to tell is to slather some anti-fungal cream on it (can get the over the counter vagisil or monistat stuff) or get some herbal salve that has antifungal/antibacterial properties like Miracle Salve Plus from www.kerrysherbals.com . If it improves, its probably yeast...if not I'd check into the eczema being caused by a dairy allergy--

I would avoid vaseline too---yuck--icky petroleum product.
Sorry he has this! My dd did as well in her neck folds and behind her ears...it was yeast in our case.
#4 of 9 Old 08-15-2004, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

We did try some antifungal stuff first, but it continued to spread. But I think I better try that natural herbal lotion. Cortizone helped a lot the first day, but then despite of us using it further-rash came back. Today it is getting redder again.
I hoped that this would be just childhood problem. My skin is a little sensitive too, but it never becomes that bad as my son's!
#5 of 9 Old 08-16-2004, 02:28 AM

My two youngest plus their daddy has eczema. I found one patch in the fold in dd's neck. I use Hydrolatum on ds and started using it on dd. Ds's dermatologists recommends using hydrolatum 5 times a day and the cortisone only with flare ups.
#6 of 9 Old 08-16-2004, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Is HYdrolatum a natural stuff?
Yesterday it was getting worse again despite the cortizone cream, so I just put diaper rash cream-this morning it is a little better. Did you noticed connection between teething and eczema? He has the edges of two molars showing and I can see the third place becomming white.
#7 of 9 Old 08-16-2004, 02:05 PM

Hydrolatum is hydrated petrolatum, so choose whether or not that's something you'd use. Shea butter also works great. But some may be allergic to it since it's from a nut. Olive oil works good too as well as mango butter and such. My son is allergic to peanut butter but shea butter works well with him.
#8 of 9 Old 08-17-2004, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitting gal
Well...I don't have any children...but I do have eczema and have had it since I was an infant. I only use cortizone cream when my eczema flares up REALLY bad (and that's rarely). I have used diaper cream when it's really red and weepy and itchy ( I think that the zinc really helps). Other than that I use lot, and lots of cetaphil cream (not the lotion) or aquaphor. Try to get as much air between those little folds as possible. I still get eczema on top of my feet and inbetween my toes when I wear my shoes all day. I know that it's not athlete's foot, but just that little bit of sweat combined with my sensitive skin flares up my skin. As far as food goes...I avoid coffee, and soy (it also causes my face to break out as well), if I eat lots of tomatoes, my skin gets a little sensitive too.

I wish I could help more. There's more info and treatments available today than when I was a kid. I just remember cortizone cream and lots of oatmeal baths. Good luck mama!
Somebody told me during flareups do not give him baths at all. I ordered water filter for baths, so I guess I will wait for it to give oatmeal bath. Today it is really bad again. In last 2-3 weeks it never really went away-just became pink one day, and red again the other despite cortizone.
#9 of 9 Old 10-09-2004, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

We got huge improvement since we started using grinded up flaxseeds and bifidus supplement in his morning and sometimes evening warm cereal. Now it is just his skin color. And we take baths just once a week(and those with oatmeal.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page