Does drinking Starbucks (or other coffees) make you sick? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-19-2004, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been addicted to coffee for a couple of years now. I've always had problems with my tummy...but lately it's been bad...cramps, running to the bathroom wherever I am QUICK...feeling almost PREGNANT, waves of nausea...(I am not expecting)

Yesterday I had a bad spell about an hour or so after drinking a grande BOLD coffee from Starbucks...I felt jittery, my heart was racing and I thought I was going to hurl!

In the past weeks, I've experienced similar episodes but after drinking other coffees...my own ground at home or cafe types.

I started thinking MAYBE this has something to do with coffee drinking~!

Has anybody else had bad experiences with coffee? Can anyone tell me something horrible about coffee that will make me not want to drink it?

I'm going to go without for a couple of days and see...but I SO love a cup of Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the smell, the idea of having a cup with a friend...plus the little KICK it gives...(But I do think it is making me sick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-19-2004, 02:06 PM

I dunno, but I only order half caff (splits) lattes & they're fine for me. Half the caffeine plus whole milk to balance it

Sounds like a typical caff reaction, but don't know why it's so bad for you all of a sudden.

Good luck!
#3 of 13 Old 08-19-2004, 02:12 PM

Coffee makes me sick like that too. It's not the caffeine, it is something in the coffee. I can drink coolattas from Dunkin Donuts though.
#4 of 13 Old 08-19-2004, 02:49 PM

Could be a caff reaction .. but I get the same way when I drink strong chain coffees.. (Anything starbucks, DD's dark roast, et c) so it could be the oils in the coffee itself and not the caff. .. After a while at home I always end up switching to instant temporarily, because it has less of the oils in it that get my stomach all upset. (FYI : Nescafe/Tasters Choice is the best tasting instant out there :P)
#5 of 13 Old 08-19-2004, 08:57 PM

Coffee can definitely cause problems. Last year I stopped drinking coffee because my triglycerides were high and I drink French press....drank. Added benefit? My migraines almost completely stopped and my afternoon slump has improved drastically. I can go without taking a nap and still feel energized instead of half dead. I hate instant and decaf so I just quit and now I'm trying to cut out ALL caffeine because I feel so great. So you might be surprised.

Kate
#6 of 13 Old 08-20-2004, 01:15 AM

I love coffee too (the smell, the warm hands, the ritualistic grinding of beans etc) but it does make me feel sick (exactly how you describe it) so every few months I switch to Yerba Mate (or nothing) and I feel better almost instantly. But then the allure of that coffee pulls me back and I go through it all again. I haven't gotten into decaf but that might be a solution.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#7 of 13 Old 08-20-2004, 02:22 AM

I used to not be able to start my day with out at least two cups of coffee. Then all of a sudden it started making me sick. I'd feel sick to my stomach and feel all nervous and jittery, like I was nervous or apprehensive about doing something huge but there was nothing going on. Now I can only drink one cup and I have to eat right away. No coffee on an empty stomach for me.
#8 of 13 Old 08-20-2004, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

trishshack coolattas....mmmmmnnnnnnn.....

weebitty That's interesting what you say about the oils in the coffee. Somehow I never considered that. Are there more oils in the stronger chain coffees or ????

AllNatural I used to be free of caffeine. And then I became a student and I started drinking it like crazy! I am now two days without and my tummy feels much better...but I miss that java!!!!!!

Plady What is Yerba Mate? A non-caffeinated coffee-like drink????

crunchymomma That's true about the empty stomach...I did have that at least the other day. So I'm not sure which is the prime suspect here...

I'm going to go without for a little bit anyway and see what happens.
#9 of 13 Old 08-20-2004, 11:32 AM

i ONLY get that with starbucks coffee. when i drink other kinds don't have that problem.
#10 of 13 Old 08-20-2004, 02:57 PM

I am a coffee junkie, but when I was pregnant I could not drink it. Every time I even tried to take a sip it triggered something in my brain that made me think it was poisonous- strange.

Anyway, all beans have the oils in them, but the roasting process really brings them out. Darker roasts, such as espresso or french will have a stronger flavor because of the oils on the bean. Lighter roasts, such as colombian will taste more acidic instead of bitter like the dark roasts.

There are two varieties of beans used to make coffee- arabic (starbucks, millstone, equalexchange, fairtrade, etc) and robusta (foldgers, maxwell house, etc). The arabic is used for flavor and naturally has a lower caffine. The robusta, which is cheaper and less flavorful, tends to have a lot more caffine. Also, in regards to caffine, a darker roast has less than a lighter roast because the roasting process cooks out some of the caffine. Almost all robustas are lighter roasts. There is a chemical "x" in coffee (I can't remember the name of it), and it may be more addictive than caffine. It is found in both decaf and caf, and it can irrate, too.

My recommendation to all coffee drinkers is this: drink at least twice as much water as coffee because it is a dieretic and can dehydrate you. My dh used to get headaches from replacing his 8 glasses of water a day water with coffee. Symptoms of dehydration can include headaches and stomach aches. Also, as has been mentioned before, don't drink on an empty stomach because it is acidic.

Maybe, though, Whisper, you should give coffee a break for a while. Drink tea or something that does not bother you. Good luck!
#11 of 13 Old 08-20-2004, 04:40 PM

Here is some info about Robusto, rather interesting IMO.

I love coffe but dont drink it very often.

I once had the best cuppa I ever had. It came from Argentina I believe and was grown on a small farm/s. Didnt burn the stomach and the flavor IMO was to die for. Now if I could just figure how so buy some of those beans
#12 of 13 Old 08-20-2004, 06:44 PM

I get an upset stomach if I drink it too much. I can't have more than one cup if it's pot coffee and no more than 2 cups of instant per day spread out by a few hours and preferably only one cup. Otherwise I get the cramps and gas .
#13 of 13 Old 08-21-2004, 12:58 AM

I have the exact same symptoms from any form of caffene. I don't drink coffee but get that from tea, sodas, if it has caffene, I'm really sick. In reading I've done, those are common symptoms from caffene.

It started during my second pregnancy (5 years ago) and has been a problem ever since. I try to see it as a reminder from my body to lay off the caffene.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!

User Tag List