Homemade Soap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-22-2004, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone here makes their own soap. I would like to but it seems very difficult. Any ideas? I'd appreciate all help and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-23-2004, 12:41 AM

I have made the glycerine type stuff...it's really easy. Buy the loaf at a Joanne's store, or a health food place, it melts nicely in either a microwave or a double boiler. When it is melted add essential oils and if desired colouring...you can get this really cheap at Joanne's too...I wait for the half off coupons and use those. Pour it in a mold and wait til it soldifies, anywhere from 20 min to a couple of hours depending on the size of the mold and then enjoy.
I love making this for an easy gift. I put soaps, homemade jellies and either bread or cookies in a basket and use it for many occasions.
#3 of 10 Old 08-23-2004, 01:24 PM

If you're talking about the cold process stuff (I think that's the right term) that you make from oil and lye - there's a ton of information in books and on the internet. find a soap making forum and you'll get a lot of help. I've tried a few times, but not since I've had a little one running around. It's a bit tricky and can be dangerous to do when children are around, but like anything, it gets easier once you've done it a few times.

Also, there's nothing better than good soap. Since trying fancy soaps I can't go back to the supermarket variety and spend a small fortune on the luxurious kind.
#4 of 10 Old 08-23-2004, 02:00 PM

i've made a couple of batches of cold process soap. it was kind of scary working with lye the first time just because i didnt know what to expect, but i'm fine working with it now. it takes me one of ds's naps to make a batch of soap. LOL (you know you're a mom when you measure units of time in naps ) The next time olive oil goes on sale, i'll be making some soap for xmas presents. i like to give it lots and lots of time to cure before its used.

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...processed+soap

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...highlight=soap

heartbeat.gif

#5 of 10 Old 08-23-2004, 02:05 PM

Here is a link with pictures in the MDC sew/Craft subforum!

Soap Making Instructions
#6 of 10 Old 08-23-2004, 02:11 PM

This is my next project! (Of a line of many )...but I purposely am not going to buy more WAHM soaps so that I will make my own! I have about 3 WAHM soaps left so that should give me some time to make and let cure.

Lemme tellya, though...I can't go back to store bought soaps after experiencing handmade soap. My skin has really done well with it.

Lala, I will take a look at that link...Thanks!
#7 of 10 Old 08-23-2004, 05:06 PM

I've only done the melt and pour which was great to start with but from reading the other posts here I think I'd like to try to get a little fancier, especially if it's so nice on the skin
#8 of 10 Old 08-23-2004, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
cold process soap can seem intimidating but really, it can be very simple. www.thesage.com has a lye calculator where you type in how much oil you want to use (and what type) and it tells you how much lye & water to use. it will also provide basic soapmaking instructions. the site also, i believe, has rundowns of the properties of different oils.

i'd recommend starting with small batches of oils that are easily available in supermarkets (olive & coconut are 2 i really like; lard works well for laundry & dish soap). you can always proceed to do the fancier stuff as you feel more confident.

equipment can be improvised easily, with used things from the goodwill. the most specialized tools you'll need are candy thermometers and a scale. if you don't want to invest in a scale at first, often people in soaping groups are willing to weigh out the amount your recipe calls for, then measure it out & let you know how many tablespoons, cups, etc. (do NOT use recipes calling for "a can" or "a jar" of lye; often can & jar sizes change!) www.soapnuts.com seemed to be a friendly group of people when i was on the list.

good luck and have fun, go for it
#9 of 10 Old 08-23-2004, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

I've had to buy specialty soaps most of my life because I have severe eczema. My dh finally asked, "hey, do you think it would be better to just make your own?" I make our laundry detergent and cleaning stuff so I guess that's the next thing. I as worrying about using lye around my two babies but doing it during nap time is an excellent idea!!
#10 of 10 Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 AM

Soap

Hi guys,

I make soap and I have someone selling it on etsy (link below) - note the characteristic because it looks homemade and old fashion. It is a hot process soap and it is a lot quicker and easier than the cold process. You should all try this because you can get the product the next day and not have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to cure. It's the same ingredients - lye, water, oils and scent. But you do need to enter it into the soap calculator so that you have the right amount go into it (especially the lye). Use the soap calculator below.
Hope this helps.

http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/soapcalcwp.asp

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1935863...?ref=related-1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page