eczeme help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-01-2004, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,

I'm being bothered by eczema and really need some good suggestions as in what to do.I have just 1 that really itches and if I don't put cortison on it, it drives me crazy...so what about the Rest?Any special Body Lotion,things to do....spells to say?
#2 of 12 Old 09-01-2004, 10:35 PM

3 herbs are really good for ezcema.

Viola (excellent)
Calendula
Lavender (more for the inflammation and pain)

The only prodcut with Viola in I've found great is by Jurlique.

http://www.saffronrouge.com/s.nl/c.A...t.A/id.1312/.f

Calendula oil is good for body. Add a 10-20 drops of Lavender to 100ml of Calendula Oil also.

Hope this helps.
#3 of 12 Old 09-02-2004, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

do you know where I can buy calendula Oil? Do Pharmacies carry it?

TC
#4 of 12 Old 09-03-2004, 02:38 AM

You could also get a calendula ointment (not creme), which may stay on the skin longer. Have you tried soaking the affected area in warm water with some sea salt and baking soda? It has helped my daughter a lot...but we still have to use non-natural things as well, just not as much.

L.

You can get the calendula oil/ointment at health food stores, maybe at a pharmacy if it stocks some natural remedies.
#5 of 12 Old 09-03-2004, 02:50 AM

I have a severe case of excema, I have been on diff antibiotics and steroids and for some reason, nothing has helped as good as cortizone 10, so I dont know if that is what you already use, but I think it works great...also aveeno has an excema creme...try that
#6 of 12 Old 09-03-2004, 04:04 AM

we have stuggled with this problem also. what we found was food allergies and not empying the bowles offten enough caused major flare ups. so as long as we stay away from certain foods and move the bowels at least once a day, all the products in the world dont do a thing. hope that helps
#7 of 12 Old 09-04-2004, 12:01 PM

Both of my babies have it. When I bathe them, I add 1 tbsp of pure apricot oil to the bath. This helps prevent the warm water and soap from drying their skin out. I try to use a mild soap as well. The other thing I use to treat it is EUCCERIN. You can get the walmart off brand for 4.99 for a huge tub. I know it isn't "natural" though. I have used it on my son since he was a baby. After a few weeks of use, noone even knew he had eczema! To this day noone knows both my kids have it, unless I tell them. It has been a lifesaver, especially in the winter months where dry skin blisters. I hope that helps!
#8 of 12 Old 09-06-2004, 12:19 AM

I have read that eczema is almost always the result of food sensitivity. Finding out which food is the hard part.

I don't recommend using anything with mineral oil in it. It is petroleum based and prevents toxins from leaving your skin, which is what the eczema is most likely the result of.

Perhaps shea butter or coconut oil? (If you are not allergic.)

I hope you get some relief soon! I know it can be frustrating.

wave.gif
#9 of 12 Old 09-06-2004, 12:50 AM

I get this *awesome* eczema salve from an MDC mama. She's not a WAHM, she just made something that worked for her kids. The salve has shea butter, tons of essential oils, and more. We tried everything short of meds for DD (now 11 months), and this is the only thing that works. PM me if you want her e-mail.
#10 of 12 Old 09-06-2004, 10:49 PM

#11 of 12 Old 09-08-2004, 01:09 AM

I have cured my eczema by removing gluten and dairy and soy from my diet. It is amazing! I always have pealing skin and in bad weather it rashes and gets scaley and it HURTS like crazy and right now I dont have a single spot of skin that is pealing for the first time since I was about 15 years old!

I am very happy about this!

I will still have some natural salves on hand for winter just in case
But diet was the only thing that made a serious difference for me.

I do like sugar scrubs with a LOT of oils (like the Sunshine spa ones) you can make them yourself very easily with a natural oil blend (like Avacado, almond etc) and sugar or salt (not salt if your eczema splits because it burns! Trust me on that one! OUCH)

And you can forego soap and use alternative soap free wash bags like Earth Mama Angel Baby makes, or just make your own of those too!
#12 of 12 Old 09-08-2004, 01:12 AM

oh to answer the Calendula oil question...Calendula is purchased as an infused oil, so you may be getting olive oil which was infused wtih Calendula flowers. I don't know who sells this right now, but you could make your own (look up how to infuse oils with herbs online) or check out stores like
www.fromnaturewithlove.com
and
www.lavenderlane.com

Or just buy some nice carrier oils and nice salves, butters etc.
Many wahm soapers have ample supply of these products and can put together a salve to suit your needs too! I know Demetria and kerry's herbals have both done that for me in the past

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page