Tempurpedic mattress? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-28-2002, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of any cons associated with this type of mattress (http://www.tempurpedic.com/material.asp)? I have heard SUCH great things from other back-pain sufferers about these mattresses, but before I even call for a price (and go ), I figured I should try and find out if this "space age material" is really horrible for the environment and our health....

We are expecting a new co-sleeping baby in the fall, so I really want to make sure that there's nothing terrible off-gassing from this thing.

Thanks for any input!

Mama to four great girls: 14 , 12 , 7 and 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-30-2002, 03:47 AM

b/c my sister and my folks have this type of mattress. I know that it is mucho denero (sp?)-upwards of $1500 depending on the size you get. And I know it's some special knid of foam-which I remember is not good but not why it's not good. Wish I could be more help, maybe someone will have an anwser for us both. BTW, they all love their new mattresses!
Kelly
#3 of 6 Old 07-30-2002, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Isn't it amazing, Kelly, how people talk about these mattresses? It's like the folks who have found religion!

My SIL had a car accident that left her with a lot of back pain. She was going for chiropractic every few days, and getting some relief, but not total. Then she bought this mattress on the advice of her chiropractor, and her back pain disappeared (poor D.C. put himself out of a job!).

I've also seen 2-inch mattress toppers in ads for sale for approx. $150, but I don't know if that's thick enough to get full-body support....

(p.s. I love West Chester! I used to work at QVC before I moved out of state)

Mama to four great girls: 14 , 12 , 7 and 4
#4 of 6 Old 07-30-2002, 06:09 PM

I'd be interested in replies as well - my dh & I are in the market for a new bed and my dad suggested this one. I looked at their website and kind of dismissed it for 2 reasons. I also plan to co-sleep and the advertisements brag that you can't feel your partner fidget or move over because of the way the bed molds to your body and doesn't transmit movement-waves from the other person. If my baby's moving, I _want_ to feel it. Also, I was concerned about the bed sinking in around a little one because I've heard that soft surfaces in which a baby can sink in are bad places for them to sleep. Now - I'm not saying either of my concerns are true or valid, they were just what I was concerned about when I read about the bed. If anyone can answer to those concerns who has a tempur-pedic bed, I would LOVE to hear them!

We're also considering getting the Duxiana bed which is even MORE expensive!

Margo
#5 of 6 Old 07-31-2002, 03:22 AM

We have a Tempurpedic mattress. DH, DD, DS, and I share a king-size. We got it when DS was about a week old. I'm embarrased to say that I don't know anything about the toxicity or off-gassing or anything like that. BUT.... (1) while it is true that I can't feel DH moving on the other side of the bed (What a NICE change!), I have no trouble being aware of my kids' movements. If DS is not in/on my arm somewhere, then he is right next to me, enough that I can feel his warmth. Otherwise I wake up looking for him. No problems there. (2) And the mattress does not cause him to sink in too far... It conforms to you based on your weight and body heat, and he actually lays several inches higher than I do...It really gives him good support and I feel he is very safe in that regard. Safer than on a regular mattress, even. (3) OMG! This mattress is SO comfortable! I have never slept better and my back doesn't hurt anymore. We spent our tax refund on it and it was SO worth it. We have had no problems at all.

The only drawbacks are (1) no electric blankets (but I feel warmer on this mattress anyway) and (2) no waterproof covers. The mattress cover that comes with it is waterproof, removable, and washable, but any other type of cover just acts as a barrier between you and the mattress...and since it requires body heat to work right, it won't work with an additional waterproof cover or pad.
#6 of 6 Old 08-01-2002, 04:07 AM

I haven't heard anything really negative about the Tempurpedic other than the price. We almost bought one recently but decided to save the money for something else. The salesman at the mattress store said good things about it but also mentioned that some people get too hot because of the material. I received information from the company that mentioned the same thing and also that the mattress has a slight odor when you first receive it (but it clears up in a few days). A friend of mine purchased a Latex mattress from Nature's Rest. It is slightly more expensive, but is more "natural". They have a website: www.naturesrest.com

If I were to spend the money on a new bed, I would probably go with Nature's Rest.

User Tag List