Which Grapefruit Seed Extract brand is safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2004, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is a commentary on the Terressentials site:

http://www.terressentials.com/truthaboutgse.html

Does anyone know which brand contains no preservative?

Thanks!

an excerpt:
Grapefruit seed extract has become an extremely controversial chemical compound recently. Studies conducted in the US and abroad report suspicious and abnormal chemical acitivity in numerous, randomly selected grapefruit seed extracts. Here is one report from the Institute of Pharmacy, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany:

“The antimicrobial efficacy as well as the content of preservative agents of six commercially grapefruit seed extracts were examined. Five of the six extracts showed a high growth-inhibiting activity against the test germs. In all of the antimicrobial active grapefruit seed extracts, the preservative benzethonium chloride was detected by thin layer chromatography. Additionally, three extracts contained the preserving substances triclosan and methyl paraben. In only one of the grapefruit seed extracts tested no preservative agent was found. However, with this extract as well as with several self-made extracts from seed and juiceless pulp of grapefruits (Citrus paradisi), no antimicrobial activity could be detected. Thus, it is concluded that the potent as well as nearly universal antimicrobial activity being attributed to grapefruit seed extract is merely due to the synthetic preservative agents contained within. Natural products with antimicrobial activity do not appear to be present.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2004, 03:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not heard this! It's very interesting and if true, scary. I have been using GSE for years and haven't had any bad side effects. I use in all the time on pacifiers (cleared up thrush this way) to clean my toothbrush and then my mouth. I've cleared up ring worm and other infections so I know it works.

I would wonder if the lack of preservative isn't causing the GSE to just loose it's potency and not that the preservative is actually what is antimicrobial??

I do know that companies are not required to list all ingredients by law so it's totally possible that there are preservatives in brands that do not list them. I use Nutribiotic and they do say it's made from Cert. Organic grapefruits but not that it's organic itself.

User Tag List