Have you made homemade mama cloth? Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-14-2004, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to use preemie prefolds and sew them up into pads. Do I need to put windpro backing on them? Can I use metal snaps?

I'm making mama cloth as a Christmas present for my 21yo sister who has a medium to light period - not too heavy. Her body just stops at night, so no worries about a super/heavy duty nighttime pad (she could wear a pantiliner and it'd be dry in the morning). I plan to use prefolds because they last forever, get softer and softer, and won't stink like hemp could - plus I'm keeping the extras. She's still in college, so her washing facilities are almost constantly changing and I don't want to strand her with hemp pads which would probably end up frustrating her.

Question #1: Do I need to put a waterproof/windpro backing on the 6-layer cotton pads?
Question #2: Can I use metal snaps, like the ones on baby overalls for the pad's wings? Or do I need to find someone with a plastic snap press? My mom's got tons of leftover metal snaps from when she made clothes for my sister and I.

TIA!

Lanna

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#2 of 9 Old 10-14-2004, 07:29 PM

1.) You don't *need* a waterproof backing, but I like one even though I have a light flow. Even my one heavy day is light, just heavier than the other days. The waterproof layer gives me a little confidence I guess.

2.) Metal snaps will work fine, but they are more likely to pull IME.
#3 of 9 Old 10-15-2004, 01:21 PM

1. You don't need the waterproof backing, but it's nice to have. I used some old microfleece scraps, and was very happy with the results.
2. Never tried metal snaps, but can't think of a reason not to. All I've ever used is buttons, and it's worked well for me.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#4 of 9 Old 10-15-2004, 01:41 PM

I dont like waterproof backing, its not very breathable
#5 of 9 Old 10-15-2004, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annethcz
I used some old microfleece scraps, and was very happy with the results.
Do you know where I can get some (windpro) microfleece scraps? I've only been able to find it by the yard online, and I don't quite trust the local Hancock Fabrics to label *everything* right.

#6 of 9 Old 10-15-2004, 06:57 PM

I used Pul on the back of mine. I think it works very good on heavy days, but it isn't breathable.

Also, I have used metal snaps and they rust! Even the ones that are painted! I ended up making myself mama pads that are fleece on the top, diaper in the middle and pul underneith. I put no wings on the second time I made them because I found that 1. the snaps would rust and leave a rust stain around where they were and 2. The wings would actually wick blood around and into my clothing.

I was thinking of making some mama pads out of flannel and hemp terry cloth. Why don't you all like hemp? How do they stink?

as far as windpro the only source I know of is the diapershop.com
#7 of 9 Old 10-16-2004, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

I used Pul on the back of mine. I think it works very good on heavy days, but it isn't breathable.
That's why I was planning on windpro fleece - nice and breathable. I have two wahm pads with fleece on the back and I them. I also just didn't want to deal with PUL.

Also, I have used metal snaps and they rust!
Good to know! That's why I'm asking before I start going nuts ordering everything. Now I just need to find a local wahm with a snap press to suck up to.

Why don't you all like hemp? How do they stink?
Hemp diapers can stink if not washed properly, hard water issues, different detergent reactions, all sorts of funky things. Although I don't plan on peeing into my mama cloth, who knows. I'm too lazy to deal with it in 10 years once I've got my groove and am on to researching other stuff (besides diapers, baby stuff, etc).

#8 of 9 Old 10-17-2004, 12:15 AM

I just got my very 1st cloth pads and I have to admit I love them!
I'd like to make some too--do I need a pattern or kind of follow the ones I have?

and I don't have a serger--what about the edges?

thanks
#9 of 9 Old 10-18-2004, 07:13 PM

All my pads (some homemade, some purchased) have metal snaps and I've had no trouble so far.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page