Oxyclean - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-14-2001, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone heard of this?
i have friends who swear by it and claim it's "not toxic"
what's the verdict -- where does in fall in the range of healthy/not-healthiness?
#2 of 11 Old 12-14-2001, 02:38 AM

Looking at my own 6 lb tub of Oxi Clean it's hard to say what this stuff is. I can glean there are no phosphates, it's chlorine free and made of organic materials. Here is a link that might help http://greatcleaners.protocolusa.com...e.asp?abbr=OXI and interestingly, the home page says something about great cleaners do grow on trees. As for a personal testimonial, I have had no big sucess story to report. My dh adds it to the homemade laundry detergent : altho the dog barf he cleaned up with it left no trace, and the one I did with hot soapy water and a carpet sucker is visible...Don't worry, the dog is getting better with the help of herbals...
#3 of 11 Old 12-14-2001, 03:03 AM

I have also heard it is safe, though I don't know that for a fact. I do know that my dad says it's the only thing that will take the dog-pee smell out of carpet, though
#4 of 11 Old 12-14-2001, 10:57 PM

I don't think its safe, my container says KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS, DO NOT INGEST,.... followed by typical what to do if ingested instructions . I was confused by this bc I had heard it was suppossed to be all natural or st, but apparently not!

I just use vinegar and baking soda. btw it doesn't work that great imo.
#5 of 11 Old 12-15-2001, 02:40 PM

Just because something is all natural desn't mean it is safe. Because of the way it works it can burn if it gets into a cut (personal experiance) but if used correctly it is perfectly safe. I wouldn't do the laundry with out it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 11 Old 12-17-2001, 04:04 PM
Banned

even some all natural things shouldn't be digested, like citrus cleaner.....
#7 of 11 Old 12-18-2001, 01:36 PM

We use it for our diapers and covers. Talk about getting the poopy out of ds clothes when we have leaks... YIPPY! But we only use it selectively... expecially now that I MADE MY OWN LAUNDRY DETERGENT! Okay, just had to brag.
#8 of 11 Old 12-19-2001, 03:01 AM

I used on it a red kool aid stain that had been on my carpet for years. Nothing else I used took it out but Oxiclean did a great job. I'm sure some kind of chemical reaction must occur because it says not to store it in a sealed container. But even baking soda does that if mixed with vinegar. All I know is worked better than anything else I used, natural or not.
#9 of 11 Old 12-19-2001, 11:21 AM

I finally let DH buy a big bucket of it after seeing it in Gaiam (or Harmony catalog). They said is contains only natural oxygen-based cleaners (like Bi-O-Kleen) and harmless potash.

And yes, it does work better than anything on breastfed poop stains!

You have to mix it in the separate bottle and pre-treat, leaving on for about 20-30 mins for best results, just adding to the water doesn't do the trick
#10 of 11 Old 12-21-2001, 03:38 AM

I was told that Oxyclean was a powdered form of hydrogen peroxide. I have both product in my home. Since I heard the peroxide theory - I tried tried the peroxide on a stain (blood on a white carpet and white cotton shirt) and it worked wonderful! I don't know if it works like that on other stains but you guys may want to try it out - it is a lot cheaper than Oxyclean.
VioletPearl
#11 of 11 Old 12-23-2001, 03:07 AM

How does Oxyclean compare to Bio-Kleen's oxygen bleach?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page