Has anyone ever tried Melaleuca Products - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-18-2002, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking of joining Melaleuca to get non toxic cleaners and pretty much change over my home to have no toxic chemicals - has anyone ever heard of this company or buy from there??
What do you think?
Thanks
#2 of 22 Old 08-18-2002, 11:25 PM

My mother used them, and I'm going to start using them as soon as I can get a catalog from my aunt. Mom always liked them, and says the cleaners work as well or better than ones she buys at the store, and they're usually cheaper too. The only drawback is having to pre-order stuff; it's just sooo convenient to run to the store when you need laundry detergent.
#3 of 22 Old 08-18-2002, 11:31 PM

All I know is that the reps run in here to pitch their stuff a lot, which does not impress me. At all.
#4 of 22 Old 08-20-2002, 05:15 PM

I am not familar with their products.
Are they non toxiC?
I checked out the site and couldn't find any ingredients listed to verify that?

Made me uneasy about the company.

I buy non toxic cleaning products as needed, but I've found that one gentle all purpose cleaner does almost everything. Buying a different product to clean every aspect of your house is a bit of a scam (IMO)

Good luck!
#5 of 22 Old 08-20-2002, 05:30 PM

I have been using Melaleuca products for about 2 months and am very happy with the quality. I was introduced to them by my sil who sells them as a home business. I had to commit to buying a certain amount each month to get "preferred" customer pricing, but I have found that it is about the same, or less, than what I was spending for other non-toxic brands. The only thing I don't like is having to wait for them to be delivered.
#6 of 22 Old 08-20-2002, 05:38 PM

You buy cleaning products every month?
What would you need to buy on a monthly basis?

I have a thing of dish soap and a bottle or orange cleaner
some tub cleaner
and a 10lb box of baking soda

For laundry I bought a 50lb box of biokleen

I haven't needed to replace any of those items in 6 months or longer!
LOL

What am I forgetting to clean?
LOL
#7 of 22 Old 08-20-2002, 05:50 PM

I guess I should clarify that - they sell all kinds of products besides just cleaners. They have shampoo, deo, toothpaste, cosmetics, medicine, lotions, shaving cream...basically any kind of home, health or beauty item in addition to all the cleaning supplies.
#8 of 22 Old 08-20-2002, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From what I understand, like LaLa said, they don't actually have ingredients on their packaging- that would make me a little iffy- nontoxic is kind of a subjective term, kwim?

For my part, I have exactly three cleaning things:

vinegar- I have spray bottles in the kitchen and bathroom and give things a spray for quick cleaning

baking soda- to mix with laundry soap, and to clean the toilet bowl

my steam buggy thing- cleans bathrooms, mops floors, cleans kitchen, etc.

That's it.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#9 of 22 Old 08-20-2002, 06:34 PM

blueridge, I'm intriqued! What is a steam buggy?
#10 of 22 Old 08-21-2002, 04:37 PM

I looked into this from a business and product standpoint & just said no.

They put tea tree oil in everything (or almost everything)

I don't care if it is a NATURAL antibacterial, I think putting it in everything you use to clean with is just as bad as Triclosan in everything. And think it's wrong to market it as healthier. It may be healthier than Clorox, but plain old vinegar & baking soda work on almost everything.

sorry for the small soap box rant:
#11 of 22 Old 08-22-2002, 02:46 PM

My mother has been using them for I don't know how many years. She is very happy with them. I don't, I too mostly keep vineagar, b.soda, & bleach for cleaning. However, I am not opposed to using the Melaluca when my mom sends it out as a gift. My husband LOVES the Gold Bar! I think it smells like bathroom cleanser
Oh yes, one reason my mom is sold on it is the fact that it lasts sooo long bc it is highly concentrated.

What is a steam buggy? Interested to hear about that.
mtn.mama
#12 of 22 Old 08-22-2002, 03:09 PM

The steam buggy I was talking about is something I bought about a year ago.... It's going to be hard describing it without sounding like an infomercial- I love this thing!

It looks like a really tiny canister vaccum. The canister holds water in a pressurized container. When you turn it on, it heats the water, and shoots it out through the wand and out whichever nozzle you pick- there's one for scrubbing, one for just cleaning, a floor brush, a carpet brush, and a squeegie. The thing is, obviously, hot because it's pure steam coming out.

This thing can clean everything, and the first time I used it on my disgusting rented apartment a few years ago, it was pretty impressive. After you steam, you wipe the gunk that it frees with a rag. It's perfect for toilets (don't have to touch or scrub anything), little spaces around sinks, and it's great on basically anything you want super clean.

One reservation I have, though, is the whole antibacterial effect. Basically, using this thing is like boiling your bathroom in water for a while- it indiscriminately wipes out all germs and bacteria. For that reason, I usually wash the bathroom with vinegar each week and save the steaming for once a month.

OH! One more thing. We had a rampant case of fleas over the weekend. I mean bad. I'm still scratching at the huge number of bites I have. But, the steam buggy can basically kill fleas in mattresses and carpets. So we got rid of them.

Okay, enough advertising! I don't sell these things, really.

#13 of 22 Old 08-22-2002, 07:49 PM

ok amy where can we buy them?
#14 of 22 Old 08-22-2002, 10:54 PM

????????????
#15 of 22 Old 08-23-2002, 10:57 AM

j's mommy- sorry to hijack!!!!

LaLa- I got mine here: http://www.sewingmachinestore.com/steamsteammo.html

I really love it for what I use it for, but if you feel like you're going to use it a lot for big jobs, I would suggest getting a better one- they have ones now that you can refill while it's on. (The problem with mine is that when you run out of steam, you have to wait five minutes to refill or else it will create a volcano like thing of hot water when you remove the top on the tank. Not good).....

They ARE rather expensive, though. I got mine with my tax return because I'd wanted one since they were showing them on infomercials (unfortunate side effect of insomnia- I also wanted an ionic breeze for a while until I read that they were worthless. ) but couldn't afford one. I guess the reasoning that I used for finally getting was that it would pay for itself since I wouldn't have to buy cleaners or mops or anything anymore (this was when I was into lysol, etc. )

Anyway, now I'm just rambling. Any questions, feel free to ask.

#16 of 22 Old 08-25-2002, 06:14 PM

Thansk for this post! I was just going to post this topic , i.e Melaleuca, whe I decided to scan down first. (Don't usually have alot of time, as a mater of fact, nap time is close to running out now )

I saw the site ad on the Mothering homepage for MOMSwin, which is all about the Melaleuca opportunity. However, I took my time responding to the at least ten e-mails I received after first requesting the info, didn't give a phone number just for that reason. Once I finally replied, I finally got the info about what the "company" was, which they wouldn't tell me in the first 10 e-mails, as well as a basic gist of the business opportunity. I am interested in finding a home-based business opportunity, but am not impressed by the seemingly automated e-mails that were sent to me once I requested info, especially after I replied and asked specific questions. I am still wondering if there really is a real "Mom" on the other end of those e-mails !

The products sound okay - I checked out the Melaleuca website too - but there are no retail prices listed. I thought the products were available online. So, the whole opportunity seems iffy. I agree, tea tree oil in EVERYTHING seems a bit overkill. Haven't tried the products recently, but in 1999 I tried some at my brother's house, and I was not impressed with them.
#17 of 22 Old 08-26-2002, 01:04 PM

I did it for about 3 months and got my money back. I hated the fact that if I didn't want to order anything, I got a $50 order anyway. I sent those back also. I did like the products, but they are not that much cheaper than the generic brands I buy. They compare prices on laundry detergent like with Tide and I never bought Tide to begin with and it was more expensive, so there was no savings at all.

The lady was also very push and made me feel really dumb with not wanting to sign up in the first place. Then she basically did a begging on behalf of the friend of mine she was showing for. She only needs two more sign ups, blah, blah, blah.

Personally it was not for me. The products seemed to work well though.

Stephanie

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#18 of 22 Old 08-29-2002, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I think I agree with the majority that vinegar and baking soda will be the winner. This weekend i will mix up some spray bottles and off I go!! I really appreciate the help! I was having a hard time deciding.
This steam buggy thing sounds pretty cool!
I also did not know that they do not list ingredients - I will not buy anything that doesn't have them listed- ewwwhhh!
You never know what you will end up with! LOL!
And I do not know anyone that spends $50 a month on cleaners and makeup, etc.
I thought it was a little expensive!!
Thanks Again
#19 of 22 Old 08-29-2002, 04:35 PM

My MW required a battle of thier SolUMel for our birth kit. i was way unimpressed. First it was totally expensive, secondly it was really harsh (had alcohol and burned if you had sensitive skin) and since it was used in the bath water ofr baby and me, i found it sorta offensive. I would much rather add a few drops of pure tea tree oil. Also I hate getting involved in anything that pressures you to sign up as a sales person which is always the pitch I got.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#20 of 22 Old 09-09-2002, 03:51 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to this board, so I hope I'm not getting off on the wrong foot.

Now, non-toxic does not mean chemical free, it means that there are no toxic chemicals, the kind that are carcinogens and can hurt you and irritate your skin, eyes, etc and are also harmful to the environment as they don't break down. What they have done is mixed the natural with science to determine what works the best.

While tea tree oil is in a lot of their products, it is not in all of them. The cosmetics do not have any, the vitamins do not have any, after that it depends on the product whether or not it has tee tre oil in it. Now, they have been continually changing and improving their products over the last few years, so they may have changed since someone here last tried them.

As far as ingrediants on the bottle, I have looked on my product bottles and some have everything that's in them and some don't, so if anyone has any questions on something, let me know and I can call the company.

All I can give is my testimony that I am getting stains out of my carpet that have been there for 6 years, I'm using the same detergent on my daughters clothes and ours with no irritation to her skin, her "bumpy" skin problem is going away thanks to the lotion, and I don't get headaches from cleaning anymore.

Okay, that's all. I just wanted to share what I thought and maybe clear up some confusion. Oh, one last note: I apologize to the person who didn't hear from a live person when she inquired about this. I promise there are real moms on the other end (at least, there are supposed to be)! I hope I didn't make this sound like an "ad", that isn't what I wanted to do.

Be Kind!
#21 of 22 Old 09-11-2002, 09:34 PM

I buy melaleuca products. Where I live, the natural products in the store are so friggin' expensive, I almost went broke buying them.

I'm happy with what I buy from Melaleuca. I hate shopping in stores, so I'm happy with the mail order. I don't love every product, but I'm really pleased with most of them. I don't think any company does a full line of products that I love, but there are a few who get it about 80% right in my books.

I thought about the biz aspect of it, and i guess its not working out for me because I'm too damn honest and not very pushy LMAO.

Ok, there's my 2 cents.

Carry on.
#22 of 22 Old 09-13-2002, 12:39 AM

Yep, I have tried them too. I'm sort of fifty-fifty on this one. I LOVE the idea of using non-toxic everything, but does anyone else HATE the smell of tea tree oil??

I actually signed up to be a Preferred Customer or whatever, my mom is one and raves about their laundry stuff. I was having trouble getting daddy and little boy stains out : of the clothes and needed a new detergent. Anyway, long story short, I had to stop buying the stuff because the $50/month was not gonna work in our budget for what I needed to actually use. So my mom gets me stuff and sends it down when I am low.

I'll say this about the things I've tried:

laundry items ~ great, get stains out, make clothes whiter after several washes
personal items (soap, toothpaste, etc) ~ yuck. reeks (especially their Gold Bar soap). toothpaste makes teeth feel slippery....or something to that effect.
vitamins ~ decent stuff, but expensive.
representatives ~ pushy. mine wouldn't stop emailing me all this motivational stuff even though I signed up JUST as a customer not to start my own business. annoying.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page