Need help ASAP . . . how to treat a stomach ache in a 3y/o - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 12-20-2004, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm up for anything . . . natural or OTC medicine to give to my 3 y/o for stomach cramps. His illness started with a fever Friday. Then vomitting on Saturday and Sunday. Today he has had a few bouts of the runs. Everytime he eats he starts crying and saying his belly hurts really bad.

Any suggestions?????

Jaime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-21-2004, 01:36 AM

My mom and grandma always gave me soupy rice or just rice water when I had a stomach ache. Worked every time. I don't know what it was...but it worked. Just cook some rice but add some extra water so that when its cooked its really soupy and mushy. Serve warm. Some times my mom would add a little sugar or sugar substitute and some cinnamon to make it more palatable. Hope your little one feels better soon .
#3 of 6 Old 12-21-2004, 02:47 AM

lots of warm baths, with oatmeal in a stocking for the itchy bottom

have him lay on his tummy a lot and find him a movie

hth, good luck

#4 of 6 Old 12-21-2004, 03:55 AM

soupy rice is a chinese remedy for diahreah. its called congee. the BRAT diet is often recommended once he can keep things down

Banana
Rice
Apple
Toast

make him sip a teaspoon of water every 15 minutes

my DS had rotovirus last spring and ended up in the hospital with an IV for fluids TWICE ----so keep him hydrated and be diligent about this. if he cant keep stuff down you do the 15 minute thing above till he can. use the rice water for the extra benifit of that maybe? the Dr told me that even breastmilk can irritate the stomach during that kind of virus, so if he still nurses, just be aware that might be an irritant...i am not sure if they are right about it but i am just tellingyou what Drs told me

maybe you should go post on the health and healing board tho, to get more responses

hope he feels better soon!

Edited to add: BTW his symptoms sound alot like rotovirus. dont worry its common, but it can dehydrate small children very quickly to the point where its considered dangerous, so just be aware of that. watch for litstlessness as a sign. im just talking from my own kind of scary experience with that.
#5 of 6 Old 12-21-2004, 11:02 AM

I hope your dc is already feeling better. In the event that he isn't or for future ideas, I find ginger very soothing to a sore sour tummy. Maybe you could make a weak ginger tea. Mint is also nice. Like the water, give him small amounts, and maybe add a very small amount of sugar. When I was a kid my mom gave me ginger ale and sprite, and I could not drink either for many years because I associated them with being sick. We also eat rice porrage, plain toast, crackers, or agar agar (vegetarian jello). hope you all feel better soon.
#6 of 6 Old 12-21-2004, 11:31 PM

ginger is a big one! tea, soda, root. and papaya is a good one too. I took papaya enzyme when I had morning sickness. It really worked.
We only had a bad spout of that for a few days hopefully yours will be just as fast!

Good Luck!
Erin

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page