Diva Cup and similar products? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-27-2004, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I just bought a Diva cup and although it works well I have some discomfort with removal due to extended (permanent?) episiotomy site pain.

Are than any other products that might offer a slimmer design, thus being easier to remove? I might try the smaller diva but really the diameter is not much less.

Thanks,
Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 12-27-2004, 04:38 AM

I have heard that the Mooncup is smaller length-wise. Perhaps it is also more petite overall?
#3 of 15 Old 12-27-2004, 11:38 AM

The Mooncup is slightly shorter and skinnier. I have both the Diva and the Mooncup and I find the Mooncup to be much more comfortable.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

hola.gifElena ~  loving mom to  Alexander 8 fencing.gif Christopher 5.

#4 of 15 Old 12-27-2004, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

uh I gave it another shot and this morning had to get out the pliers to get that darn thing out. aieeee (sorry if too much information, I'm still a little freaked)

I think maybe I need a smaller size whatever I go with.
#5 of 15 Old 12-27-2004, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOcean
The Mooncup is slightly shorter and skinnier. I have both the Diva and the Mooncup and I find the Mooncup to be much more comfortable.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Kelli did you find that you needed the recommended size?
I bought a size 2 as I am 42 and have one child but obviously it's a tight fit.
My problem could be just with the removal tho which may not be fixable.
#6 of 15 Old 12-27-2004, 05:13 PM

Elizabeth--are you bearing down with your muscles as you try take it out? That helps me a lot....
#7 of 15 Old 12-27-2004, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

oh yeah, I was squatting and pulling and pushing. It was almost like childbirth which btw I wasn't mush good at either haha

I do think a slimmer design would work, or a more flexible material perhaps.

I'm bummed cause I really hate pads, and have low estrogen from extended nursing so tampons aren't a good solution either.

Elizabeth
#8 of 15 Old 12-28-2004, 01:44 AM

I really like my sea sponge tampons. The whole fit thing is really comfortable, insertion and removal is easy and comfortable. Since they are sponges, they can squeeze out easily. To make them very soft, rinse one in water until it is full, then squeeze out all the water. Like a dish sponge. Two cost about $8. Good luck.
#9 of 15 Old 12-28-2004, 03:28 PM

I have a Diva and I find sticking a finger up in there to break the suction and fold the cup just a little (not enough to spill) really helps.

A little K-Y or other lubricant might be helpful, too, since you mention dryness.

Hugs for the episiotomy site pain. I had a doozy of an episiotomy and it took about a year, maybe more, to really feel back to normal. That scar tissue is just not nice. I hope things improve for you!

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#10 of 15 Old 12-29-2004, 05:28 PM

Elizabeth- I hope I can help a bit.

Boiling the DivaCup/Mooncup will soften the silicone, have you tried that? Also, the Mooncup is a bit slimmer and not quite as long- hence why the DivaCup chafed my episiotomy site (even with the tail completely trimmed off). Even though it's been almost four years since that episiotomy, it would almost send me through the roof. Jess is right, that scar tissue is NOT nice! I had to return my DivaCup for a refund and I purchased a Mooncup instead. The Mooncup fits perfectly and I love it! I've used it for several cycles now and wouldn't trade it for anything!

I have some pics of all three brands side by side at http://www.busybusymomma.com/MC.html if that would help. Good luck!

Michelle- happy Mooncup user!
#11 of 15 Old 12-29-2004, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

hmm well maybe boiling it would help but I'm afraid I could not bring myself to insert it again. I am afeeerd for sure! I did use astrolube to get it out the second time but it was still very difficult. I did release the suction but I couldn't get a good grip on the stem so it would keep popping back into place. I think I need a longer stem so I am wondering if a smaller diva would still be a problem.

It "may" have been unfortable while in. I was having some cramping so it was hard to tell.

oh, and my episiotomy (and dd)are now almost 3 years old. My flow did not start until almost 2 yr 9-1/2 months after dd's birth (extended nursing)
I don't think the episiotomy pain will ever go away completely, but the recent improvement in my hormone levels has helped a great deal.

I really think I need a smaller diameter, and a smaller cup overall would be fine as I have a light flow and frankly don't WANT to keep it in for 12 hours.

Perhaps I will try the mooncup. I have written to the company for advice on sizing. What would happen if it was too small? If there are only two sizes then it can't be too critical.

Elizabeth
#12 of 15 Old 12-30-2004, 02:42 AM

Ouchie! No advice here but sympathy pains for sure. I recently tried the keeper my last cycle and I seriously was in much pain after trying for only about 4 hours to get it right, etc. I was crying and told my dh that it hurt like childbirth healing down there....seriously it hurt that bad

I don't like pads either but I'm freaked to try a cup again I am going to buy some mama cloth (that's actually why I came to search for an old thread on it).

Hugs
#13 of 15 Old 12-30-2004, 01:22 PM

Elizabeth- Mooncup has a three cycle warranty and you would just contact Su at the Mooncup website and let her know you need to exchange for another size. From what I understand, they are great about exchanges. When I returned my DivaCup for a return, it was really easy and the retailer from whom I purchased it wasn't out any money- DivaCup took care of it.
#14 of 15 Old 12-30-2004, 01:24 PM

PS- this may be TMI, but my whole extended family is passing around a stomach bug and I started my darn period while dealing with the runs and puking. The Mooncup made it really easy though, since I didn't have to deal with messy pads or tampon strings while running to the toilet every 15 minutes.

Good luck!!
#15 of 15 Old 01-16-2005, 01:50 PM

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page