Family Wipes... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-05-2005, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, so I get the general concept of family wipes and I'm very interested. Can someone )or perhaps a few someones) who use family wipes explain your system to me? Please? Like what do you use-washcloths or cloth baby wipes? Also, what do you do with them when they're used? And anything else you find to be helpful info. I mentioned the idea to my dh and much to my surprise he thought it was a great idea. (Probably adding up the money saved on tp). Thanks in advance for the help.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#2 of 18 Old 01-05-2005, 02:46 AM

I found these cloths at walmart that I liked a LOT. I just use them then throw them in a bucket next to the washer(I usually use the potty in the laundry room cause Im usually always downstairs). then just wash them with my towels(which I always wash on HOT)
#3 of 18 Old 01-05-2005, 02:51 AM

This will get moved.

I switched my family to cloth TP a couple of months ago. It has gone well. I made 8x8 double sided flannel wipes. Each family member has their own print. I bought 2 yards of each print and got around 18 wipes. So I need to wash TP every other day.

I bought step-on flip top cans from Target. But those are just too small for my family size. So now I have small wastebaskets under my bathroom sinks in the vanity for them to toss wipes into.

And my little ones don't clog the toilets anymore. :LOL
#4 of 18 Old 01-05-2005, 02:52 AM

This might be moved to Natural Home and Body Care catagory to get more replies. We use plain ole fleece cut into squares, some are in the bathroom and some are with the diapering stuff in our house. I just throw them in the washer with Ians dipes and dont even think twice about it (the washer is in the bathroom).

http://www.hiddenpearlcreations.com/store/ has family cloth for sale if you want to go that route.
#5 of 18 Old 01-05-2005, 03:01 AM

Well I always wanted to do family wipes, but the thought of washing my husbands made me want to gag. :LOL

So now I'm divorced and it's just me and Alex. I throw my wipes into the diaper pail (we are living in a small house, so it's just in the next room) and wash them with the diaper laundry.

I using cloth wipes. I'm funny in that I don't like to use my wipes on Alex or his on me, so I picked a certain kind and designated them as "mine". I keep them in a box on the back of the toliet.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#6 of 18 Old 01-05-2005, 03:02 AM

My dh doesn't use them, but I do. I mainly use OC wipes from Ecobaby. But my favs are 2 layers of cotton fleece. They are so soft and absorbent! I keep a little tub full of wipes on the back of the toliet. And then I have a small, plastic, swinging lid container sitting next to the toliet. It is a dry pail and I just throw them in the wash with ds diapers every other day.

I love cloth wipes! Much softer then paper!
#7 of 18 Old 01-05-2005, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

So, do you guys moisten them at all or use them dry? HOw many do you usually use when you go to the bathroom? Are they more effective or less on cleaning your bum? Sorry to ask such personal (and maybe gross) questions, (my dh says I have no conversation filters), I'm just really curious and want to start this. Do you put out paper tp for visitors? Thanks.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#8 of 18 Old 01-05-2005, 03:21 AM

I usually only need to use 1, I find them much more effective than paper, and I leave them dry :LOL
ohh and Im the only one that uses it so we have paper anyway, i just prefer cloth.
#9 of 18 Old 01-05-2005, 03:24 AM

So, do you guys moisten them at all or use them dry?
Usually dry, but sometimes I wet them.

HOw many do you usually use when you go to the bathroom?
Mostly just one (our wipes are 7x7)

Are they more effective or less on cleaning your bum?
More, way more, plus you dont have the whole finger poking through the paper problem :

Sorry to ask such personal (and maybe gross) questions, (my dh says I have no conversation filters), I'm just really curious and want to start this.
Meh, no biggie to me.

Do you put out paper tp for visitors?
Yep, sure do.
#10 of 18 Old 01-05-2005, 03:38 AM

We have a metal flip top can for wipes. All but DH use them (still working on him). We have 350+ wipes. Most are single ply flannel that get folded for absornbancy. If it is a really sickly poo we wet them, but dry is quite soft. I just toss them in the wash with diapers.
#11 of 18 Old 01-05-2005, 03:39 AM

Interesting...I have been considering switching my family over to this. TMI coming up :LOL With the amount of tp dh goes through we could probablytp the whole neighbourhood. I do have dd using them for the most part, it's way more effective than using tp on her ...ie the finger through the paper problem mentioned previously

mum to a crew...
#12 of 18 Old 01-06-2005, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
well, this thread took care of the question burning in my mind the last few day: are there really any other ppl out there who have thought of using cloth TP? i have thought of it, but more in a joking way, like no one could be THAT crunchy! well, i guess they can! something for me to think about.

Bring back the old MDC
#13 of 18 Old 01-06-2005, 09:14 PM

I wouldn't mind this for myself.. hmmm... dh complains tp doesn't clean well, maybe he'd be open to this as a "tp supplement" lol

Can't wait to see a "No-TP Families" thread start up, :LOL can you imagine the reaction from a casual lurker!
#14 of 18 Old 01-08-2005, 12:32 AM

OK, I have a TMI question. When I use cloth wipes while changing my DD's diaper, I try to remove as much poop from the wipes as possible before tossing them in the washer. (We use our washing machine as a diaper pail.) I shake, or wipe w/ TP when absolutely necessary, but we're wanting to get a mini-shower. Do you do these things w/ the family wipes, or do you just toss them in the pail "as is?" If anyone has a mini-shower, do you use it like a bidet and then wipe dry w/ the the cloth wipes? TIA!
#15 of 18 Old 01-10-2005, 10:37 AM

Can someone who use family wipes explain your system to me? Please? Like what do you use-washcloths or cloth baby wipes?

Can't deny someone who says please! I use family wipes. DH DOES NOT. Although, he washes mine with my momma pads. And totally respects my decision to use them. I imagine I will convert him when our sam's club tp runs out, he he he. My system consists of the same baby wipes I bought for dd - I have probably 50 in each bathroom (2 baths) and 50 at dd table. I just bought a lot of them from lullaby diapers, darling diapers, the enchated nursery, and if I bougth 1 dipe from a wahm who made some I always bought 6-12 or so. I LOVE the mini wipes (4X8) for rear end for me (but not dd) and I love the sherpa or fleece and flannel wipes for front. I am not keen on the velour wipes (unless it is ribbed - I like that on my mini wipes). I also recommend darker wipes, some of my lighter ones have stained from my bms. Hope this wasn't TMI!

I dry pail mine, but I do rinse out poo ones and just put them in wet. I have a metal flip top can that I put both momma pads and wipes in. I either wash with dipes or separate.

So, do you guys moisten them at all or use them dry?
I use the front ones dry, and depending on the bm, I will moisten them. I'm right by the sink anyways : )

HOw many do you usually use when you go to the bathroom?
1 for #1
2 for #2, and I use seperate ones when I do both so 3 for #3

Are they more effective or less on cleaning your bum?
YES. Much for effective. Although, I always used softkins wipes to clean my bum, and these are even more effective than wiping something slick across dirt. They pick it up much mor effectively.

Do you do these things w/ the family wipes, or do you just toss them in the pail "as is?"
As mentioned above, I rinse the poo ones and put them in the pail.

If anyone has a mini-shower, do you use it like a bidet and then wipe dry w/ the the cloth wipes?
Thank you for this fantastic idea...of course, I am not real sure how to use it as a bidet, but hey, the worst case is the bathroom gets a little wet trying!
#16 of 18 Old 01-10-2005, 08:21 PM

we've been using cloth instead of TP for several months now and I don't think we will EVER go back! It's so much softer, economical and dh and I both feel more clean. Right now we have forty wipes which I split between the two bathrooms. I wash them with dd's diapers every other day, but it is sometimes a scramble to grab a few wipes from the dryer on the way to the bathroom so I really need to get some more. We don't have any kind of system, though dd does have her own stash of wipes. Hey they all get clean in the wash, right? i keep small wet bags in each bathroom for the used wipes, and we do keep TP in the guest bathroom for visitors. Most people think we are weird enough allready :LOL

oh and we use our wipes dry, except for bm and then we wet them in the sink or bathtub first.

If you have any more questions, ask away
#17 of 18 Old 01-11-2005, 04:01 AM

We're pretty lucky: we have a bidet I just cut up an old long sleeved t-shirt of my dh's (purple!! Yay!!!) and voila! Instant family cloths...

Oh, and we just throw them straight into the washing machine, since it's right there...

We still have tp for guests...

[OK, it is a bit more complex than that... I don't use the bidet when I'm close to ovulating (cause I worry about water going up and diluting my mucus, how's that for totally paranoid? It is a strong jet, tho...and I've been TTC for a long time) and I haven't brought myself to use my cloths for #2 without first rinsing with the bidet... but I am thinking I will start soon!]
#18 of 18 Old 01-12-2005, 12:27 AM

we rinse with water either from a cup or a little gadget dh made to go from the side of the toilet to the inside...we do this for religious reasons, but this will help the mess also w/ the family cloths...then everything is actually clean your clean and the cloth and your just wiping the access water...I didnt do this till i became muslim and didnt realize the difference it makes..you feel much cleaner after hope this helps
Heather

one love

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page