WHo has a natural latex bed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-05-2005, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about ordering a natural latex bed instead of an organic wool one. Does anyone have any testimony on the latex mattresses they would like to share with me. Its such a big investment!
#2 of 20 Old 01-05-2005, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

bump
#3 of 20 Old 01-06-2005, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you are at all prone to allergies, exposure increases the likelihood of developing one to something like latex. Latex allergy is becoming more common, mostly among healthcare workers who are/were constantly exposed to it.

Just something to think about. Hope you find the perfect mattress for you.

"What will you do once you know?"
#4 of 20 Old 01-06-2005, 12:37 AM
AJP

We have a Natura bed, which is a wood slat foundation with a 4" latex pad and a wool topper. We love it. It's the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on.

There is no secret ingredient.
#5 of 20 Old 01-06-2005, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

I'm leaning toward a foamsource larex bed because it is so much cheaper than other ones I have looked at (999.00) for a King. Does anyone have any opinions on brand names?
#6 of 20 Old 01-07-2005, 06:10 PM

I've got an Englander (laytex foam) mattress. I it. It's a queen, and with boxspring it cost about $1000 including delivery. And the cover (or whatever you call the outer part) is woven/knit out of wool. I've had it since 2002. We do flip ours every once in a while because there's a pillow top - so we get mini-butt-ruts in there - but after you flip it a few times it's smushed down a bit and you're good to go for the next few decades.

My parents have a full-sized Englander from 1969 and a queen-sized Englander from 1972. They sleep on the queen-sized one to this day, and we use the full-size one whenever we visit. You never have to flip them, but they are *heavy* and bulky. These are mattresses that are made for life, not just for a few years.

Lanna

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#7 of 20 Old 01-07-2005, 06:16 PM

are they hot?

I am really interested in getting one too, but I had heard that they hold heat and can make you sweat. fine by me in the winter, but in the summer....yikes!

So, thoose of you who have them...are they hot?
#8 of 20 Old 01-07-2005, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveTheWild
So, thoose of you who have them...are they hot?
No. The only times I've been sweating in bed are when there are too many covers, when I have cramps or at times when I was pregnant. Not because of the mattress.

Oh, and we don't have a/c in our 1977 house.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#9 of 20 Old 01-10-2005, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

anyone else out there? I'm really nervous to make this purchase.
#10 of 20 Old 01-11-2005, 03:05 PM

Qerratsmom, I don't have one but I'm also going to take the untested plunge. I just spoke with a friend who has one who said once you go latex you can never go back. She LOVES it.

Regarding latex allergies, my understanding is that synthetic latex, not 100% natural latex, can be a problem.

I'm still shopping around but I'm going to get a 100% natural latex mattress, wrapped in wool and covered in organic cotton. Can't wait!
#11 of 20 Old 01-11-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP
We have a Natura bed, which is a wood slat foundation with a 4" latex pad and a wool topper. We love it. It's the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on.
Us too http://www.naturaworld.com/main.html We have the Naturlatex Premier. I it. In fact, I never had any sleeping problems through my whole pregnancy, and I attribute that to this bed!
Mandy
#12 of 20 Old 01-11-2005, 03:39 PM

Oh, man. I just discovered that there is a store very close to me that sells Natura beds. I would love to be able to try the actual bed I'm buying. But they spray the exterior cotton with flame retardant. Do any of you also have concerns about flame retardancy? I thought one of the main reasons the latex is wrapped in wool is because wool has a naturally retards flame. Some of the websites selling "organic beds" claim that anyway.
#13 of 20 Old 01-11-2005, 06:32 PM
AJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinach
But they spray the exterior cotton with flame retardant. Do any of you also have concerns about flame retardancy? I thought one of the main reasons the latex is wrapped in wool is because wool has a naturally retards flame. Some of the websites selling "organic beds" claim that anyway.
You might want to call or email Natura (http://www.naturaworld.com/main.html) and ask them, instead of relying on the store's info. When we bought ours, the company had just switched to organic cotton covering on the latex pads instead of wool (apparently they were having durability problems with the wool), and I was told it was still completely chemical-free. We got the organic version, maybe that's the difference. Maybe the non-organic one is treated. Ours was drop-shipped from the company (in Canada), purchased through a mail-order-only website. There may also be an issue of different laws in different states that would require beds stocked for sale in brick-and-mortar stores to be treated with flame-retardant. You may find that asking direct questions of stores results in cagey answers, they don't really want to say "yes this is treated with toxic chemicals" even if the state requires it. In any case, I'm betting if you were able to arrange to purchase it elsewhere (ours was from http://www.nontoxic.com) and have it shipped directly from the manufacturer, you could get the non-treated version. (BTW, the woman who owns that business is chemically-sensitive and caters to those who are, so she knows here stuff when it comes to chemical-free products.)

Yes, I'm concerned about flame retardancy, but only so far as avoiding the chemicals. I believe mattresses made from synthetic, petroleum-based materials are more combustible than latex, wool, or even cotton, and the man-made materials melt and stick to things before they burn, so perhaps the chemical treatment regulations came about because some people burned in their (synthetic) beds before they woke up, but even so, they don't spontaneously combust. The only way flames are going to get anywhere near my bed is if the house is already on fire, in which case we would hopefully have been awakened by smoke alarms and/or the smell and/or animals freaking out and wouldn't be in the bed. I really can't imagine any situation in which it would be better to sleep on a bed treated with very toxic chemicals which are proven to get into our bodies through skin contact. It's one of those cases of the gov't regulating us to within an inch of our lives, IMO.

There is no secret ingredient.
#14 of 20 Old 01-12-2005, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

I found some less expensive latex mattresses at www.organicselection.com. It sounds like a good company. I'm going to call and ask about warranty and return policy on them.
#15 of 20 Old 01-12-2005, 12:50 PM

We're researching laex mattresses currently, too... Just got the Lifekind catalogue, and they seem to be a good company, AND they're having a big sale right now! woo-hoo!

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#16 of 20 Old 01-20-2005, 11:22 AM

I just ordered a natural rubber (latex) mattress from Lifekind, after tons of research. We'll see how it all turns out but so far their customer service is exceptional. I had so many detailed questions that they had me speak with the owner. We chatted for a long time and he determined the best kind of mattress/foundation combination for my dh and I. I'm so excited!!!

Has anyone else decided what they're getting?
#17 of 20 Old 01-29-2005, 12:26 PM

I'm looking at latex mattresses also. spinach, please update when you've got yours. I'd love to hear how you like it!
#18 of 20 Old 01-30-2005, 02:23 PM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my laytex mattress!
We got ours when I was pregnant with Denali, and it was amazing supportive and comfortable. I was able to sleep on my belly through 7 months of pregnancy. No back pain whatsoever in any sleeping position.
Laytex mattresses can last upwards on twenty to thirty years, so there is less money to spend in the long run and far less waste.
I like how it is firm without having hard springs, that it is nontoxic.

When we started looking I was amazed at how expensive they were. What we ended up doing was going to a wholesale foam store and ordering a queen-sized piece of laytex foam six inches thick, and had it covered. Instant mattress ant 1/3 off the retail price! We ended up going back several months later for a twin size to lay next to our bed. now we have a huge king sized bed that can split off into two for when Denali wants her own room.
#19 of 20 Old 02-24-2005, 10:35 AM

Just an update. I did purchase a Lifekind mattress and posted my brief review in a currently active thread: Lifekind review
#20 of 20 Old 02-25-2005, 03:51 PM

and jumping in late, but...

Quote:
Regarding latex allergies, my understanding is that synthetic latex, not 100% natural latex, can be a problem.
I am latex allergic and it is NATURAL latex that I have a problem with. I'm sure anyone who is latex allergic or allergy prone would definitely research thoroughly before buying a latex mattress, but I just wanted to throw that out there. It is the real deal latex and items with similar proteins (oh, like every fruit out there, and nuts, and... the list goes on and on) that I am allergic to, and the poster who said the problem often gets worse is right. There are fewer and fewer foods I can eat all the time because of cross reactions. Not sure about anyone else- just speaking in re: to my own experiences.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page