no poo and coconut oil HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-11-2005, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been happily no-poo since Feb of last year. Well, "happily" except for my occasional little experiments gone awry

Todays experiment : coconut oil.

I bought a jar of it because I read an article that said how great it was and how the high quality oil doesn't taste like anything. Like dh said, I shouldn't believe everything I read :LOL Maybe I didn't get a good brand, I don't know, but it tastes like dish soap and so far everything I've cooked with it has a slight dish soap aftertaste (like the soapy taste of coconut water but more intense).

So the article also mentioned it being good for hair and I remembered a few people saying they used it waaaaaaaaaaay back on an old no poo thread when I first started.

Perhaps I should have asked for instructions first :LOL Nah, that's not me

I slather it on my head and leave it there for about 1/2 an hour. The problems start when I get in the shower. The baking soda won't take it off. I figured I'd need a lot, but after three seperate baking soda washes (LOTS of it!) and rinses, I've still got an oil slick on my head. Out of desperation, I grab my soap (plain old oil of olay). I suds up with that, rinse and I'm STILL oily! Woah. So I suds up again with the soap and this time add baking soda to it. Apparently, that's a mistake because it stripped every drop of oil from my head. My hair was so dry that, not even out of the shower yet, I couldn't get my fingers through it.

I got out, dried off and rubbed some jojoba oil through my head to try and save it. It's better than it was, but it's still pretty dry.

So, how do you use coconut oil? What did I do wrong? How do you get it off when you don't use poo?
#2 of 7 Old 01-11-2005, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Bump!
#3 of 7 Old 01-12-2005, 03:55 PM

Hi Shannon.

Wow, sounds like fun. :LOL I wouldn't use coconut oil on my hair. What we *do* use coconut oil for is our skin though. I use it to moisturize my kids after their bath. If you did use it on your hair I'd imagine only using a little and mostly just rubbing into the ends and then rinsing right away. I've accidently gotten a little in the kids hair while putting in on their neck or face though and even a tiny bit made their hair greasy so, I don't know, I wouldn't use it on my hair.
#4 of 7 Old 01-12-2005, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yay, someone answered me :LOL

Someone on another thread said they use it in their hair but only a pea sized amount. Shall I tell you how much *I* used? : :

The article I read said to use a lot but that also assumes you are SHAMPOOING it out so . . . . . . .

My hair is still feeling like straw and that's with jojoba oil AND trying a TINY bit of coconut. Well, lesson learned, right?

I think it will work if I just be a bit more stingy with how much I used.

Now I just have to wait til my poor hair heals. I think I won't use anything but water for a week til I'm a greaseball and see if that helps
#5 of 7 Old 01-13-2005, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh dear ... less is more, less is more :LOL

I don't even use a PEA size, I use a little speck. OK, to be truthful, I use it quite generously (like enough to make my hair stringy) as a pre-wash treatment, and I was going to say I've never had trouble getting it out, but then I realized that yeah, the times I had difficulty with a coconut milk treatment were all times that I was washing with baking soda & honey. So maybe it's just a peculiar incompatibility? I oil heavily prior to conditioner-only washes and ayurvedic herb washes and the oil always comes out fine.

Also, did you put it up in your scalp hair too? That might have something to do with how hard it was to get rid of. I only apply it below my ears.
#6 of 7 Old 01-14-2005, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

OH yeah. Scalp too. Everything It looked like my hair was wet :LOL

What are the herb washes you mentioned?

On the good side, I washed my hair with plain water today and it's looking and feeling awesome now I think I have the hang of coconut oil now. Less is more, less is more :LOL
#7 of 7 Old 01-14-2005, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
What are the herb washes you mentioned?
Bumped that post for ya

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page