natural way to clean jewelry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-11-2005, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is a natural way to clean jewelry? I don't want to use the typical chemical cleaners, but my rings are YUCK. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-11-2005, 07:38 PM

I use an old toothbrush and a dab of toothpaste! works like a charm.
#3 of 13 Old 01-11-2005, 11:18 PM

i guess it depends on what kind of jewelry youre wanting to clean--
the toothpaste works great on diamonds, gold, etc. but you cant use it on softer stones, like saphires...i cant remember exactly what it does to them, but i know its not good...

anyone know if we can use vinegar on stones? you can use it on everything else..i dont know about jewelry though..
#4 of 13 Old 01-12-2005, 12:40 AM

vinegar or amonia would clean jewelry. I would not use toothpaste because some brands can be to abrasive and scratch the metal. Dishsoap (7th gen or dawn) and an old soft toothbrush are good. Sapphires are very durable (9 on mohs), so I am not sure what toothpaste could do to them, but it is unlikely it would hurt them. If your diamond or gold jewelry is dirty take to a jeweler and ask them to give it a dip in their ultrasonic. Then ask them to check the prongs because many stones are held in by lotion and a prayer.
#5 of 13 Old 01-12-2005, 03:00 PM

my jeweler told me not to use toothpaste on sapphires...but it is a 9 on mohs...so? she said it was ok to use it on diamonds, but still recommends a jewelry cleaner (big shock there) im guessing she just said that because in relation to diamonds, sapphires are pretty soft. (4x i think..) anyways--i never thought about using dishsoap...does it not leave a residue?

i think im going to try some dawn, then maybe a splash of vinegar to shine it up.
#6 of 13 Old 01-12-2005, 04:24 PM

When I make jewelry, I use dishsoap to clean it because I do not have an ultrasonic right now; it is the next best thing. MOHS scale of hardness is the standard used by jewelers, gemologists, and geologists. Short of a diamond (hardest known material to man), sapphires are pretty darn hard. I am including some links that explain the different degrees of hardness. Finger nail is about 2.5, and sapphires are 9. You can talk over the toothpaste with your jeweler, but personally, I think it might scratch the metal not the stone.

http://www.amfed.org/t_mohs.htm
http://mineral.galleries.com/minerals/hardness.htm
http://jewelrymaking.allinfoabout.co...ures/mohs.html
#7 of 13 Old 01-12-2005, 08:57 PM

My mother is obsessed with her collection of jewellery. She ALWAYS used sudsy ammonia and a toothbrush to clean it, and it looked beautiful.
Once or twice I went into very knowledable jewellery places and asked about cleaners. I told them what my mom uses and the workers would kind of whisper to me that nothing you can buy is better or safer then sudsing ammonia. Although, I'm not sure if that's the answer you want.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#8 of 13 Old 01-12-2005, 10:16 PM

Many jewelers use amonia. I am not sure what all is in commercial grade ultrasonic solutions, but whenever I have worked out a shop we have used the blue liquid in the ultrasonic because it is an effortless way to clean. I found the more concentrated dish has a similar ability to clean off tripoli and rouge from my hands, and so I use on my metals because it is non abrasive. I am not the only soap user, I have seen it used in studio classes, too. Just a thought though, don't wear your jewelry when you wash dishes, your hands, take a shower, put on lotion, or participate in any activities that get your hands really dirty. The chlorine in water will slowly eat your solder joints particularly on retipped prongs. Plus you won't get as much dirty build up as fast.
#9 of 13 Old 01-13-2005, 02:11 AM

I have one of those home ultrasonic cleaners, and simply fill it with water (no solution). It gets my silver pieces pretty clean, and is easier to use than toothpaste. Sometimes if the silver is really grimy, I do have to run the cleaner twice.
#10 of 13 Old 01-13-2005, 10:35 PM

I clean my wedding ring in extremely hot water and a bit of soap, let it sit for a few minutes then swish it around in the container with the lid on. I do it about every 2-3 weeks, because I use lots of lotions and work with a ton of solid and liquid oils that get in the little crevices. works great.
#11 of 13 Old 10-26-2008, 11:13 PM

any recommendations for sliver chains? They get so tarnished and I'm too lazy to try and get them clean with toothpaste. I'd love a soak type solution.
#12 of 13 Old 10-27-2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
any recommendations for sliver chains? They get so tarnished and I'm too lazy to try and get them clean with toothpaste. I'd love a soak type solution.
You can dissolve equal amounts of salt and baking soda in hot water, fill a disposable aluminum pie pan (or lay a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom of a dish), and submerge your silver pieces.

Don't leave your silver in this too long though, and sometimes you have to wipe off the tarnish with a soft cloth (but usually not). Don't do this for pieces with an oxidized or French gray finish, and I wouldn't recommend it for anything extremely valuable (sentimental or monetary).
#13 of 13 Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 AM

I absolutely love my ultrasonic cleaner from Brookstone...all you need is tap water:

http://www.brookstone.com/sl/product...s-cleaner.html

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page