Breast Milk soap! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-13-2005, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello

Does anyone have an easy recipe for breastmilk soap? I saw one that has so many ingredients I cannot begin to figure out where to find them or afford it.

Anyone? I have stash in my deep freeze that I don't want to feed babe (it isn't that old, maybe 6 months or so? I could use it for her I guess but..............) and wanted to try this.
#2 of 21 Old 01-13-2005, 09:30 PM

I do have a recipe for making soap, being as I'm a soapmaker, and I must tell you while there is no need for a mile long list of fancy ingredients, making soap is sort of like making bread...not technically difficult, but a skill that you develop over time, each loaf getting better and better... so you don't want to waste your stash of mama's milk during the learning process. Making soap is (to me anyway) a very satisfying creative activity, once you start you may find yourself hooked! But milk soaps are a bit trickier than regular soap, so I recommend you practice a bit first if you want to try it. Here's a site that will explain the basics, it's the best instructional site I know of and gives excellent guidance for soapmaking.

http://millersoap.com/soapproc.html

If you find you'd like to give it a try and have questions, I'd be happy to help.
#3 of 21 Old 01-14-2005, 11:39 AM

I have a bar that a friend made. The ingredients label says:

olive oil
water
coconut oil
palm oil
sodium hydroxide
breastmilk

Sorry I don't know the proportions. Probably in combination w/velcromom's link, you could figure it out.
#4 of 21 Old 01-14-2005, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you both for responding.

I am leery of trying it as it seems so much work... :

LOL I'll see what I can do. If not, it is still good to give to babe to drink according to LLL standards so............if not I'll mix in solids somehow.

Thanks again!
#5 of 21 Old 01-14-2005, 09:40 PM

Oh hey...making milk soaps can be easy.

When mixing the water and lye use only 1/2 the regular amount of water. At trace add the other 1/2 in milk. that is the easiest way to use milk.

Another way is to freeze the milk in little ice cube trays so it is in small amounts. Then add the lye to the milk while it is still frozen. This is done to keep the temperature from going quite as high as it normally would and scorching the milk.

I make soap and Cynthia (the admin) makes a LOT soap with milk/heavy cream she might have some good tips.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#6 of 21 Old 01-15-2005, 01:28 AM

I make milk soaps and my best tip to make sure the milk doesn't burn up in the lye is to freeze it then put your milk in a stainless steel pot, put the pot in an ice bath in the sink and add your lye slowly stirring the entire time. You do not want the milk to burn so do this slowly. Once the lye is dissolved, add to your melted oils, stick blend to trace and pour

However, I completely agree that you should have a couple batches of soap under your belt before trying a milk soap. They are more tricky and you don't want to loose that precious milk.
#7 of 21 Old 01-15-2005, 01:31 AM

Oh and as far as an easy recipe - nothing is easier than castille! You can do 100% olive oil soaps or, since castille can get a bit slimy, I usually do 90% olive oil with 10% castor oil. Just run it through a lye calculator to determine how much lye and water you need and you're off! But, read the ****** soap site first to learn safety precautions etc.

Also, castille soaps take forever to harden so, if you use the lye calculator at www.the-sage.com, you'll get a "range" for the amount of water to use - use the lower amount so you have less cure time.
#8 of 21 Old 06-17-2005, 03:13 PM

Do you know anyone who sells breastmilk soap?

I would really like to know.

thanks

Holly
#9 of 21 Old 06-17-2005, 03:40 PM

I have never heard of breastmilk soap...

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#10 of 21 Old 06-17-2005, 03:44 PM

I've thought of this before. What a wonderful keepsake, a bar of soap to hold onto over the years! I need to do this or have someone do this for me before my last child (now 22 months) is weaned!
#11 of 21 Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 PM

did it work? i have a stashi'm saving just in case but i'd love to have some bm soap!
#12 of 21 Old 06-22-2005, 10:35 PM

I doubt anyone sells it - I would think there would be FDA issues with that. Although the FDA doesn't regulate soap hmmmm...... I personally wouldn't sell it but would have no problem making it for someone as a custom order or special request.
#13 of 21 Old 06-23-2005, 08:22 AM

I would love to get some too! Could someone make some, please? You can pm me if you have some available.

thanks,

Holly
#14 of 21 Old 07-03-2005, 05:07 PM

neither have I, but now that I have... gives me some ideas. That would be a cool keepsake for the DC!
#15 of 21 Old 07-03-2005, 08:36 PM

Just wanted to reiterate that, although I could be wrong, I believe it would not be legal to sell bm soap commercially. A seasoned soapmaker could probably make some as a custom order but for those of you looking for BM soap, you'd have to supply the breastmilk.
#16 of 21 Old 07-06-2005, 01:05 PM

I looked into soap making for my huge stash about 2 years ago (my gosh, has it been that long?!<LOL>!>) and decided that I didn't want to be messing with lye just yet.

Between my mommy-brain and the inquisitive kids, it just scared me.

I ended up using my stash to make lots of other stuff, some of it might grab you (or not) :-)

Off the top of my head...

I froze a good bit in ice-cube trays for cubes to put in the "boo-boo-bunnies" for when the kids got small scrapes. (http://www.geocities.com/kraftprojec...oth-bunny.html )

I made a *ton* of cornstarch-pudding (with the EBM, it requires very little if any added sugar. I liked mine with none added.) Chocolate is good, too ;->

If it hasn't saponified, it's *great* in coffee <LOL!>

I also made tapioca with it once or twice

I used it in baked goods quite often.

I also thawed a bit and used it for eyewash when I got pink-eye, and for a nasal rinse when I got a sinus infection (followed up with saline rinse)
:-)

But if you want the soap, go for it! I bet that would be nice!
#17 of 21 Old 04-27-2006, 11:04 PM

this is totally bringing up a dead thread, but I was searching for a recipe for lye-free breastmilk soap. Anyone know how/if this can be done/made?

THANKS!
#18 of 21 Old 04-27-2006, 11:20 PM

Soap can't be made without lye - it's the lye that turns oils used in soapmaking into soap
#19 of 21 Old 04-27-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal
Soap can't be made without lye - it's the lye that turns oils used in soapmaking into soap
can you tell I've never made soap? lol seriously, though, NO soap can be made without lye? at all? yikes!
#20 of 21 Old 04-28-2006, 01:22 AM

Nope - no soap can be made without lye. Synthetic detergent bars can be made to act like soap - to bubble and clean but they require detergents and other chemicals. For true soap, you must use lye.
#21 of 21 Old 04-28-2006, 09:03 AM

i found this maybe it will help

*****This soap is for personal, not commercial use. I would like to caution you about the issue of bio-hazards if you decide to work with someone else's breast milk for soap making. Please be responsible and use precautions when handling raw, unpasteurized human milk.*******

Mothers Milk Soap Recipe (http://traditionalmidwife.com/mothersmilksoap.html ) I've had this link for a while, but I produce just enough for him and pumping doesn't work well with my body
32 (4-ounce) bars

Recipe:

3 lbs. vegetable shortening
17 ounces dark olive oil
18 ounces Safflower oil
6 cups thawed breast milk
(you can use any amount of breast milk you like and substitute the rest,
just make sure your total fluid volume reaches 6 cups).
12 ounces pure sodium hydroxide (lye - Red Devil brand works)
1 ounce Borax
2 TLBS honey
1 ounce Essential oil - optional
Ice Cubes

Tool List:

Stainless steel pans
Wooden or stainless steel spoons
Newspaper to cover counter tops
Candy thermometer
Measuring cup
Scale
Blender

***Wear Gloves and protective eye-wear when making soap...lye burns!!
****Use only stainless steel pans for making soap - DO NOT use aluminum!!

Procedure

Melt the veg. shortening in a sauce pan (about 8 quart size)and add the oils. Bring temp up slowly until the shortening is all melted. Don't over heat or scorch the oils.

Plug your kitchen sink. Fill half way with water and add about 3 dozen ice cubes.

Put thawed cold breast milk in a sauce pan (about 3 quart size). Place the sauce pan into the water. You *must* keep the milk cool when you add the lye to it or the lye will burn it and make it unusable, not to mention real stinky!

Slowly stir in the sodium hydroxide (lye) stirring constantly and occasionally circulating the outer ice water. The lye is going to heat the milk up as you stir it in. Avoid breathing the fumes by working in a well ventilated area.

Adding the lye should take at least 5 minutes, any faster and you will burnout your milk. If you accidentally splash any on yourself, rinse immediately!

Once combined, continue to stir the milk/lye mixture for just a few more minutes (3) and then remove from the water bath and set aside. You will notice that the milk/lye mixture steadily becomes yellowish in color. That is normal.

Add the honey and borax to your melted oil which should still be warm but not hot (115 degrees or so).

Now, slowly and carefully pour the milk/lye mixture into the pan of oil. Stir constantly until it is all mixed together.

This mixture must now be whipped in a blender (2/3's full at a time for safety sake). Run the blender (with the lid on) at whip speed for 60 seconds each time. Pour off into a clean pan.

Repeat the blender process a second time. This is when you will add your essential oils.

Once the mixture has been blended twice, it will be ready to pour into a mold where it will saponify and be ready to cut after 24 hours.

**Make sure to set a few bars secretly aside for that someday when it could make a touching "Treasured Memory Gift" maybe when your child is all grown up. The soap will never go rancid (no matter what you may have read elsewhere), it will only improve with age. Mothering Soap has the unique potential of becoming something extra, special as the years roll by. But that's just this mothers thought!
NOTE: The heavy duty molds I use for soap making are made of extruded vinyl. They are reusable and very easy to use - once it saponifies, you just slice the soap into bars, no fuss. These molds and many other soapmaking supplies are available at the Soap Shoppe page located at my Natural Soap Site - *not my site i got this off a different forum**

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page