cleaning the house after Strep and Flu - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-18-2005, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My whole family is in the midst of Step and Flu - we've been pretty ill here.

Dh cleaned all the door knobs and counters with vinager, but I'm wondering what you wonderful mamma's suggest for cleaning the house - the couch we've all been laying on, the beds, the air?

Ds has had this 3x in the last month and I really think it's lurking in our house - any ideas or suggestions welcomed!
#2 of 8 Old 01-18-2005, 11:50 AM

When we were recovering from a really sick few months last winter, I washed walls and chairs and floors with a solution of 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar and some sweet orange essential oil. The vinegar kills stuff, removes odors and the orange lifts spirits and sweetens the air.

Then I used the Merlin's Magic recipe from Clean House, Clean Planet. Basically, a little Dr. Bronner's, a lot of distilled water and 20 drops of TTO. I used this for doorknobs and toilets and sinks and countertops.

And then we ate lots of garlic, drank lots of water and upped our Vitamin C. We also napped a lot and ate salty soup (with more garlic).

If you can, try to get out of the house a little, too. Or open a couple windows for a few minutes each day to recycle the air a bit.

Oh! And change the furnace filter, wipe down the floor and intake vents.
#3 of 8 Old 01-18-2005, 12:56 PM

If this continues to be a problem, you might have to resort to using products designed by the cleaning industry to kill germs (lysol, bleach, etc) mostly b/c you just really want this out of your house. Of course, 7th Gen just skipped my mind as well as bacout.

As a preventative, I make everyone wash their hands when they come in the door. It keeps the nasty stuff done during this volital season of shut up the house tight.

And then I wipe down stuff (like door knobs and faucets) with either just soap and water or vinager w water. Especially if stuff is going around, most of the time I'm not as dilegent about house cleaning as I should be.
#4 of 8 Old 01-18-2005, 01:30 PM

Another thing: Wash or replace your pillows.
#5 of 8 Old 01-18-2005, 02:56 PM

We had strep for over a month last year. My little guy was on antibiotics three times, and considering we never use antibiotics for ear infections and treat allmost everything naturally, this was a huge deal for us.

I ended up bleaching everything in the bathroom (and I HATE bleach). Most importantly the bath toys. Any toy that held water inside (like squirt toys) I through out. I also ran the toothbrushes and flosser handles through the dishwasher every night. Also if the toothpast tube touches the brush when you put the paste on, replace it.

After I did all this, the strep was gone.

Try the vinegar first.
Good luck!

Michelle , 20+ years with a wonderful DH
Mama to two boys, 12 and 10

#6 of 8 Old 01-18-2005, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I knew you mamma's would have some great suggestions

Right now, I'm so darn sick I can't clean anything. I've tried and I'm too out of breath, so hopefully in the next day or two.

I did was the bedding and will get new pillows later this week.

Dh replaced the filter and I did wipe the inside of the vents down with some Orange and vinager cleaner.

I like the idea of sweet orange oil with the vinager as I don't like the smell of vinagar.

The bathroom is a good place to REALLY clean, luckily, my kids are older and don't have bath toys.

I already replaced toothbrushes and will do so again in a few days - GREAT idea on the toothpaste! NEVER thought of that!!! I've got a fresh tube and will do that pronto!

Any ideas on the couch and mattresses? I just feel like they're petri dishes!
#7 of 8 Old 01-19-2005, 01:46 AM
g&a

Just thinking: for couch and matress you could concoct a spray - TTO, vinegar, water. I'm not sure how you would clean those with chemicals, even.

gisele

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#8 of 8 Old 01-19-2005, 01:52 AM

Cleaning with peroxide is about as effective as cleaning with bleach, and it certainly smells better and is less harmful. I routinely use peroxide for cleaning bathrooms, doorknobs, the phone, etc. Replacing toothbrushes is another post illness practice here too.

Feel better!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page