junk mail - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-29-2005, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi, i can't think of a more appropriate forum for this, but want to share. i find junk mail to be a really bad thing, for the obvious reasons. i have found the following 2 links. they have been helpful in greatly reducing my mail intake, to the point where there are some days that our house receives no mail at all. sweet. peace to you all.
for advo, the ads that come with the 'have you seen me' flyers:
www.advo.com/consumersupport.html
and for a larger, more general sample, to get your name removed from LOTS OF STUFF-
http://www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailinglistdave

i did the above for me and my partner, things are so much better.
#2 of 9 Old 01-29-2005, 01:17 AM

Cool thanks!

There is also a site where you can sign up to be excluded from credit card solicitations. I did this a couple of years ago and went from receiving probably a half dozen credit card offers every single week to now we don't get any. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I did this. Maybe somebody else has the info?
#3 of 9 Old 01-29-2005, 01:32 AM

Oh, lets see. I just did this. What was the site called? www.optoutprescreen.com. You can choose to stop having credit card offers sent to you for five years, or permanently.
Now, if I do those junk mail ones, will I still receive my local grocery store flyers?
#4 of 9 Old 01-30-2005, 02:25 PM

Cool! Thanks for posting this.
One thing that I do to make myself feel better after recieving a load of junk mail is to take those credit card offers with the postage-free envelopes, stuff them with random junk mail, and send it back to the company. Trite and inmature, I know, but oh so fun!
#5 of 9 Old 01-31-2005, 12:55 PM
g&a

Since I'm in Canada, I'm sure none of those links will work .

For grocery store flyers and other non-addressed stuff that just shows up in your mail box - my mom wrote a letter to the post office saying that she really didn't want them to stuff her mail box and they stopped! She also phoned and complained to the newspaper companies who always dropped their free newspapers off on her doorstep (she lives in a small town). She had to be really persistant with those and phone up mad but it worked.

gisele

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#6 of 9 Old 01-31-2005, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k
Cool! Thanks for posting this.
One thing that I do to make myself feel better after recieving a load of junk mail is to take those credit card offers with the postage-free envelopes, stuff them with random junk mail, and send it back to the company. Trite and inmature, I know, but oh so fun!
My stepdad taught me to do that, too! :LOL I add a twist to it though... I always write, "Have a nice day!" on the junk before stuffing it in there. Just make sure you don't stuff what they gave you back in there unless you take your name off of it first.
#7 of 9 Old 02-04-2005, 10:05 PM

I did put our names on the above listed anti junk mail list and the junk mail seems to have gotten worse. I did just go to the advo site and give my info, but then after doing it, I realised that the advo stuff never has my name on it. Just resident and my address. I hope they don't sell my info. Okay the credit card one is intriguing. But I didn't do it. It asks for SS#. I didn't like that.

I don't find it immature to fill the business reply envelopes with garbage and then mail it back to the company. If everybody did this, they would stop. I put whatever they sent me minus anything with my name on it into the envelope. Then I head directly for our garbage pail and stuff the envelope to capacity with whatever else I find in there. We compost our food scraps so it doesn't get messy.

Lauren
#8 of 9 Old 02-04-2005, 10:15 PM

Great thread! Thank you!!!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#9 of 9 Old 02-04-2005, 11:13 PM

I have started putting everything back in the envelope and writing on it, Take me off your list. You do not have my permission to access my information

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page