Where to buy a safe mattress? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-12-2005, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is just about ready to transition to a bed. My problem is where to buy a resonably priced SAFE mattress.

Lately I have been hearing about all of the scary chemicals that can be found in the mattresses we sleep on, so I ordered a few catalogs to find a safe alernative. Woah! 2 thousand dollars for a mattress!!! Then add a box spring on top of that!

Basically I have two questions;

1. Do you know of anywhere that sells resonably priced safe mattresses?

2. What exactly do I not want in the mattress? Are there qustions I can ask the salesperson?

Thanks a ton!

PS I have read that IKEA makes great mattresses that are safe...Just browsing ther websie and looking at a matress base/box spring. It says that it has a fire-retardant interlining and is 100% cotton. Is that bad?

Why is this so confusing??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 02-13-2005, 12:12 AM

Okay,
I'm not going to be much help to you, 'cause I'm in the same boat. I have found out that you want a wool mattress (very expensive) or a cotton mattress with wool in it (cheaper, but still expensive). You want wool, because it is naturally flame resistant and you can obtain one without a Dr.'s note. If you get an organic cotton or organic latex mattress you need a Dr.'s note, 'cause they don't meet the federal guidelines for flame resistance.
So, I too am looking for an affordable cotton and wool mattress to no avail...I hope someone can direct us to a website that offers this affordably.

I am also wondering if perhaps another alternative would be to get a wool mattress pad (which is a lot less expensive)to act as a barrier between the chemicals and my daughter. I don't know if this would work...but if it did it would be affordable.

I hope someone out there knows.
#3 of 16 Old 02-13-2005, 10:47 AM

I am right there with ya, girls.

I have been drooling over the royal pedic org cotton mattress for around 7 months now, and DH finally agreed that we can get it (after much nagging on my part). Since we plan on co-sleeping till DD is 5-6 we figured it wouldn't be a bad investment for all 3 of us, and we'd be in no rush to buy another org cotton mattress for her (we will buy one when she moves into her own bed). We are selling her never-been-taken-out-the-box crib for almost what we bought it for ($800) and that will contribute to the mattress cost. We figured we could afford it this way. I'm so excited, I really can't wait to get it. Right now we are just sleeping on my twin mattress from when I was a kid! Can you believe that? Co-sleeping on a twin! Argh! No room! I was too freaked to get a brand new one because of the chemicals so we just stayed on my old one.

Quote:
PS I have read that IKEA makes great mattresses that are safe...Just browsing ther websie and looking at a matress base/box spring. It says that it has a fire-retardant interlining and is 100% cotton. Is that bad?
It is the fire retardant chemicals that pose the problem here - they are what you should not be inhaling. The cotton is not so much an issue (organic vs non organic) but organic certainly has alot less pesticides swimming in it.

Have you had a look at kidbean.com?
#4 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 05:39 AM

I got a natural rubber/organic cotton/organic wool futon at Lifekind.com. No doctor's note needed for the lack of flame retardants--I don't think applies to all states.

Another source I've heard is good is white lotus.
#5 of 16 Old 02-14-2005, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.gaiam.com carries some as well although they are pricey.

What is up with flame retardant anyways? Why do mattresses and PJ's need to be flame retardant? If your bed or your pajamas are on fire you are pretty much screwed anyways, no? I mean really, I dont get it. I guess if people smoke in their bed (do people do that?)......but how many people DONT? Flame retardant should be optional for smokers or something.

Desiree

#6 of 16 Old 02-16-2005, 03:37 AM
Ame

FYI ...you only need a prescription for latex mattresses in California. If you don't live in California you can buy latex.
#7 of 16 Old 02-16-2005, 04:06 AM

Has anyone heard anything about Serta's "Fireblocker" mattresses? They say that it is a non chemical and prefectly safe textile that is in one of the layers. I'm not inclined to believe it's totally safe, but if someone knew it actually IS then their prices would be much cheaper than the latex/wool, etc. alternatives. We're also dreaming of a king sized latex & wool mattress and having a tough time with the prices.

Busy mama to dd 6/04 and ds 9/07. Living the dream aboard s/v Convivia.
#8 of 16 Old 03-02-2005, 11:12 PM

SERTA FIREBLOCKER - DON'T GET IT!!!!

We just returned one and are SEARCHING for a organic mattress to replace it. I had to put my 1 yo on a nebulizer for a day because she couldn't BREATHE (the doc thought it was RSV, but NO RSV goes away after 1 day and sleeping on a different mattress!) and my 3 yo experienced night terrors - each seperately, and each after sleeping on this bed. It STUNK to high heaven, and I am just glad that it is out of my house!!!!

Heather
http://www.zensicallife.com
#9 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Heather~Thank you for sharing your scary story.

When you do get an organic mattress, can you please let us know where you got it. I am still at a loss for finding a mattress.
#10 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 10:57 AM

What about a good mattress cover? I remember Dr. Mercola had an article a few years ago about the dangers of crib mattresses and them possibly be the cause of some SIDS cases. There was a manufacturer out of Austraila I think that made mattress covers that put a barrier between the baby and the chemicals in traditional mattress. They might make covers to fit all sized beds. I will try looking it up.
#11 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 12:06 PM

I copied this from Mercola's website:

The advice to wrap mattresses applies to every mattress on which a baby sleeps (except a BabeSafe mattress) and includes: mattresses of other children; adults' mattresses; and all mattresses made of or containing natural products such as sheepskins, goatskins, kapok, tree bark, coconut fibre, etc.

The most convenient way to wrap a baby's mattress for cot death prevention is by means of a BabeSafe mattress cover. These covers are manufactured in six sizes and are available at babycare retail outlets throughout New Zealand and by mail order in some other countries.

As an alternative, parents can make mattress wraps using specified polythene (same as polyethylene) sheeting.

If this option is selected, the following instructions apply:

1.Use thick, clear (not coloured) polythene sheeting. The thickness of the polythene must be at least 125 microns and colorless. Do not use PVC (polyvinyl chloride) for mattress-wrapping.

2. Place the polythene over the top of the mattress and down the ends and sides, and secure it firmly on the underside of the mattress with strong adhesive tape.

3. The polythene on the underside of the mattress should not be airtight. It must be airtight on the top and sides of the mattress.

It is imperative to use the correct bedding on top of a BabeSafe or polyethylene covers. Use a fleecy pure cotton underblanket and tuck this in securely. Then make the bed using sheets and pure woolen or pure cotton overblanket/s.

Do not use any type of moisture-resistant mattress protector, sheepskin, sheepfleece underlay, acrylic blanket, sleeping bag or duvet. BabeSafe or polyethylene cover, BabeSafe or polyethylene covers should be cleaned by wiping with pure soap and water. Do not use chemical bleaches or sterilants.
#12 of 16 Old 03-03-2005, 12:41 PM

I've read about the BabeSafe, but since they don't make them in "real" mattress sizes, it's not an option for us (we're looking for a twin bed). Plus, when my daughter can't BREATHE because of the chemicals on the bed, I'm not going to just cover it up. I'm going to get a different bed.

I retail Ecobaby stuff, so I can get their Pure Rest mattresses for wholesale, which is really good, but then you add on $200 for shipping one mattress, and it just gets too spendy!

We're probably going to go with a natural/organic futon from www.soaringheart.com. I believe they're like White Lotus, but they seemed cheaper at first glance. I'll be looking into it more today as time permits. I like the fact that with futons you can layer different materials until you get the firmness that you desire.

I never thought it would take so much time to buy a stupid mattress, but after our experience this week, I'm not taking any more chances!

Heather
http://www.zensicallife.com
#13 of 16 Old 03-04-2005, 01:28 AM

:

mona
#14 of 16 Old 01-31-2014, 03:29 PM

I just got an new wool mattress from Mercola.com and have been very happy with it. My allergies are better and it seems to have helped my wife with her arthritic hip. Our mattress arrived within a week of ordering it and I very happy with it. I also recommend the all natural wool pillows and comforters from mercola.com

#15 of 16 Old 06-12-2014, 07:37 AM
MHC

Mercola Mattress

Hi abby mc:

How does the Mercola mattress feel for your back? Man it is so expensive yet I have had cancer 3 times and always wondered if my bed had some impact.

THank you,
MHC
#16 of 16 Old 08-04-2014, 01:27 PM

I am researching this right now. We have decided on something a bit minimalist, like a Japanese Futon. From the reading I have done there were several people who had better results for sleep and back ache after swapping to something less cushy. I have found one sold by J-life for about $250 (Queen). But, I also found one on Amazon by Gold Bond for about$ 160. Both use what seems like conventional cotton (don't mention it being organic) and don't say where it was grown. From the info I could find, it seems like they are really similar. Also both use boric acid as fire retardant.
Then, www.miwafuton.com has different thicknesses (as does Gold Bond) and offers organic cotton ones, but you will need a doctor's note. Not sure if a ND or chiropractor will do.
There are also some brands out there with Kapok, cotton, wool mixes. And some "healthier" foams (still petrochemical product). White lotus does sell what they call Eco Foam, made out of vegetable oils, in bulk. Look under the section for bulk products. I do not know anything about these foams and are not going to research it just yet... maybe if I decide to have the hubs make pallet furniture and get foam for that. I have not called them yet, but the cheapest option by far (I think) would be to buy the Green Cotton (not organic, but US grown and no fire retardants) from White Lotus and make your own. I am not a handy person, but I think I will go ahead and get this for my kids and stuff it in an allergy cover. Until I can sweet talk MIL to make me covers for them. Or learn how to sew. WL do sell ready made futon covers, so that might be an option as well. You can also buy the organic cotton and do the same with it, but I cannot afford that at the moment.

User Tag List