Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Natural Body Care (http://www.mothering.com/forum/11-natural-body-care/)
-   -   keeper vs. diva cup (http://www.mothering.com/forum/11-natural-body-care/261926-keeper-vs-diva-cup.html)

littlemommy18 03-16-2005 04:54 AM

i'm not sure if this is in the right place but here goes. i was wondering if there's a difference between the keeper and the diva cup? has anyone used both and had a preference? af just came back after 17 months and i'm looking into my natural earth friendly options! TIA!!

Alison 03-16-2005 12:52 PM

Keeper is rubber, Diva is silicon. I have used both and preferred the keeper--more flexible when inserting, so I found it was easier to manoeuvre into place. However, both worked well. The keeper, being rubber, starts to look stained while the silicon of the Diva cup always looks clean. However, they both have money back trial period guarantees so you can try one and then try the other!

You might want to check over in the Natural Family Living forum, I'm sure this has been covered before there.

Alison

Undercover Hippie 03-16-2005 08:11 PM

:

I've been wondering this as well. I have a friend who raves about her Diva cup though!

Tara

witchbaby 03-17-2005 12:23 AM

i'm sensitive to latex, so i got a diva cup. i didn't really get to try it out yet (arrived on the last day of my period! ), but it was pretty easy to insert and remove. it comes with a cute little drawstring bag, too!

calpurnia 03-17-2005 08:24 AM

Have a look in Natural Home & Body Care, as Alison suggests. There is always a thread about this over there!

I have a Mooncup, haven't tried any of the others. But love the Mooncup!

Red 03-17-2005 09:19 AM

I love my Keeper. I sold the Mooncup for a short time. Most of them were returned to me after a few months, and I wound up lOSING money.

Divas are great if you have a latex problem, otherwise most people seem to favor the Keeper.

Mine changed my LIFE!

Slackermom 03-17-2005 10:07 AM

I use the Keeper, and really like it. I haven't tried the Diva, but I hear they are really quite similar in terms of comfort, but the Keeper is a little more flexible.

Alison 03-17-2005 11:59 AM

One difference between the two is in the sizing. Diva says you should use the larger size if you have had a vaginal birth OR if you are over 30. So I tried the larger size--I'm over 20, although I ended up with a c-section. the Keeper says that you should only try the larger size if you have had a vaginal birth. So part of my problem with the Diva was probably that I shouldn't have been using the larger size. After all, it's not like your vagina automatically stretches when you turn 30, is it? Whatever you try, give it a few months, and, as a PP said, once you get the hang of it it will change you life. It's like you don't have a period (well, except for the cramps!). Doesn't dry you out like tampons, isn't messy like pads, just totally awesome, once you figure out the best way to insert in for your body.

Alison

G's mommy 03-17-2005 02:35 PM

I am so glad you started this thread, I was just coming to look for this same info!! So, where are the best places to buy them? This may be too much info for some, but I use a diaphragm for birth control... If I can use that, I could certainly use a keeper or diva cup, right??
Thanks for the informative discussion, girls!!

Alison 03-17-2005 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G's mommy
I am so glad you started this thread, I was just coming to look for this same info!! So, where are the best places to buy them? This may be too much info for some, but I use a diaphragm for birth control... If I can use that, I could certainly use a keeper or diva cup, right??
Thanks for the informative discussion, girls!!
Way easier than a diaphragm!

Alison

Alison 03-17-2005 08:22 PM

Michelle, I just noticed the extra line in your sig. I have my fingers crossed for you, and am thinking of very sticky things!

Also, would you be interested in a LLL toddler meeting? My friend is starting a toddler group that would meet on weekends, every month or two months or something.

Alison

adinal 03-17-2005 08:42 PM

Moving this to Natural Home & Body Care!

Slackermom 03-18-2005 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
Michelle, I just noticed the extra line in your sig. I have my fingers crossed for you, and am thinking of very sticky things!

Also, would you be interested in a LLL toddler meeting? My friend is starting a toddler group that would meet on weekends, every month or two months or something.

Alison
Thanks Alison! I was actually toying with the idea of deleting that part of my siggy today...I feel like I'm jinxing myself!

I'd be very interested in a LLL toddler meeting. Neither Ainsley nor I have any interest in weaning, and I'm hoping I can keep BF for a long time yet!

care_a_boo 03-19-2005 12:25 AM

I have a Diva. I love it, but I'm hearing awesome things about the Mooncup. It's softer, shorter, more comfortable--by all reports anyway. Here's side-by-side pics of Keeper, Mooncup, and Diva, and you'll see the owner of the lot hates the Diva: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...2&postcount=17

seed 03-19-2005 11:21 AM

I've used both, and I loved both. I had the Keeper for about three years, and I have short cycles so I probably went through nearly 40 cycles with it. It's a great product, but I switched to the Diva cup when I began to suspect I have a sensitivity to latex. I'm glad I did it--my cramps went away and my period went from five days to four. I've used it for eight or nine cycles.

Latex isn't a problem for most people, so if you don't have a sensitivity you can go either way. I find the discoloration on the silicone version less attractive because it's light to begin with and can turn kind of yellow, whereas the latex just has variations in the brown. Since it's usually in either a drawstring pouch or a vagina, this isn't really a big issue.

broodymama 03-19-2005 02:04 PM

Can someone give me an idea of the size of these? I looked at the pics, but can't get a feel for how big they are. From the pic they almost look the size of a toilet bowl plunger - ouch!

I'd like to try one whenever I get my AF back.

Red 03-20-2005 12:36 PM

I have pics, but only know one way to link it, and it will lead to my site. Can someone tell me how to show the pic without getting in trouble?

Ruthla 03-21-2005 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I have pics, but only know one way to link it, and it will lead to my site. Can someone tell me how to show the pic without getting in trouble?
I think it's OK if somebody else posts the link to your site....like me :LOL

picture of Keeper,scroll down to see it being held

I had the Keeper years ago (before having kids) and I have the DivaCup now. I like the DivaCup better than I remember liking the Keeper, but since I had about 10 years between using them, I can't really compare accurately.

Red 03-21-2005 09:22 AM

Well that was easy, Ruthla, thanks!

marilynmama 03-22-2005 03:08 AM

I love my Mooncup, it is so comfortable and easy to use.

Marilyn

Poddi 03-22-2005 11:44 PM

I have used both the Keeper and Diva cup. Somehow the Keeper didn't work for me. Maybe I shouldn't have got the large size. It's hard to put in and very uncomfortable to take out, would leak everytime I lie down, and I had a nasty UTI after using it. (That's the only time I've ever had UTI.) Then I bought Diva cup small size. I couldn't believe how easy it was. It's a breeze from the first try and there's no leak. I didn't trim the tab and couldn't feel it at all. I'm over 30 and had two vaginal births. Somehow the small size just fits me. I think it all depends on your own anatomy and preferences. You have to try them to figure out.

* Diva cup would turn a bit yellow with use as well, especially if you boil it.

Mummoth 04-01-2005 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi

* Diva cup would turn a bit yellow with use as well, especially if you boil it.
Especially if you boil it?! I guess that would explain why my pump parts & bottle nipples keep getting yellower & yellower despite my attempts to make them clear again (by boiling the crap out of them)

I just got my Diva Cup (& luna pads) in the mail yesterday. It'll probably be another 6 months before I get to try either though.

Alison 04-25-2005 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seed
I've used both, and I loved both. I had the Keeper for about three years, and I have short cycles so I probably went through nearly 40 cycles with it. It's a great product, but I switched to the Diva cup when I began to suspect I have a sensitivity to latex. I'm glad I did it--my cramps went away and my period went from five days to four. I've used it for eight or nine cycles.
What were the signs of the latex sensitivity? Anyone else find out they have one while using the Keeper? I've just had some really wicked periods lately, I've been using the Keeper for about a year, used the Diva cup for 6 months or so before that, and never had cramps like this until now. As in called in sick to work, sent DS to daycare, and curled up in bed for the entire day bad. Just wondering, from this quote above, it maybe this could be the problem.

Alison

niki_73 04-26-2005 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbaby
i'm sensitive to latex, so i got a diva cup.
:

I only got to use mine for 3 months then i got pregnant now i have to buy the bigger size so that kinda sucks

seed 04-29-2005 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
What were the signs of the latex sensitivity?
I noticed my latex sensitivity because I was working at a job where I wore powdered latex gloves. My skin started peeling and I thought it was the powder, so I switched to powderless gloves. It was only when I got away from latex that my fingers healed. When I thought about it, I realized that I always had skin reactions to latex with prolonged contact (dental visits, sexual activity, etc.).

My cramps aren't gone, but they're much better now that I'm using the silicone cup.

Also, someone asked about the size and shape of Keepers/Diva Cups in an earlier post. The pre-childbirth ones are about the size of a shot glass.

TwinMom 12-20-2006 05:11 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I was googling Diva Cup vs. Keeper and found it. I am thinking the Keeper would work better for me, but several women in my family have latex allergies, so I would like to stay away from the rubber. It looks like the Moon Cup is the same thing as the Keeper, but silicone, so I am wondering if it is as stiff as the Diva Cup. I really don't want anything pushing and gouging at my girly bits. Does anyone know?

wytchywoman 12-20-2006 01:42 PM

I just did a dry run with my Diva for the first time yesterday and getting it in was a breeze. Even though the silicone is a bit stiff it wasn't uncomfortable at all and I couldn't even tell I had anything in there, so I don't think the silicone is uncomfortable. the only issue I had was that it was a bit hard to remove. I had to reach up there and bend it back into a C shape to get it out, but even that wasn't bad and I am thinking once my period comes it will be easier to remove.

Namaste,

Michelle

Mom2fiya 12-20-2006 02:01 PM

I have been looking for this kind of info too, I have been using Instead to see if I liked using something other than tampons. Now, I don't think I can ever go back to them. I have been trying to figure out if there is a significant difference between the Diva, Moon, and keeper. Thank you ladies for all the great info!

solidcitizqueen 12-20-2006 11:43 PM

I've personally tried Diva, Mooncup (original from UK), and the silicone version of Keeper (latex allergy won't allow for rubber keeper). The silicone version of Keeper is ok, no complaints. The original Mooncup is great, no complaints. My preference (and first of the 3 cups) is Diva. She holds more fluid, she's skinnier and longer, and I like the notches on the stem (cutting guides if you need to cut, you might say), as well as the fluid measurement lines on the cup. Diva is stiffer than the other 2, but only to the fingers that are inserting. The hoo-hah doesn't notice a difference in stiffness between the cups. I found Diva easier to insert, and after using it more often, it was more reliable than the other cups.
Having said that, I was an Instead user for 10 years until making the switch this summer to a real cup. Can't say a bad thing about them except that after making the switch, I don't miss the mess or the waste (used one Instead per cycle, so not too bad on waste). I liked the convenience of the Instead allowing for intimacy, but I'll never part w/ my Diva. I created a Diva Dance for those out there needing help w/ insertion, and it has proven to be very helpful to most!
My DD started her first cycle this summer, and that was my motivation for finding the best there is out there. She's been a Diva since her 2nd cycle, and never explored her body before, so it was awkward at first, but she's a pro now! If she can do it, anyone can!

TwinMom 12-20-2006 11:52 PM

solidcitizenqueen, it's great to hear that your daughter uses a cup! My daughters use Lunapads, but they have never even heard of a cup at all. I think that after Christmas I will order a Diva Cup and hope that it works. I can't STAND these freaking pads! I just got AF back 23 months PP, not as good as last time's 28 months. This is my 6th total period in 6 years, so I'm not used to the mess and I HATE IT!

It must be pretty messy putting anything inside, right? I mean, it doesn't just slide in like a tampon. I guess the mess I can wash off my hands is better than the mess I'd be sitting in, right?