Sunscreen Questions - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 07-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Soy is a problem for those with thyroid disease. It is estimated that 10 million americans, mostly women, have undiagnosed thryoid diseases. For these people, and those who have been diagnosed (like me) and also those with autoimmune diseases, the isoflavones (they key components of soy that makes it be a good hormone replacement) in soy can inhibit the thyroid hormones, making thyroid diseases worse. Since thryoid diseases have so many vague symptoms, doctors often do not diagnose it correctly. There is some controversy about how much soy one would need to ingest or be in contact with. I have been dealing with thyroid disease for many years and have done a lot of research into it and am fortunate to have a naturopathic doctor to treat me right and with care. My take on the whole soy controversy is that we need to think about how soy is used in its natural form in the countries where it is eaten plentifully. In Asian countries, soy may be added to meals in a couple of servings a day. Americans have taken the idea that soy is healthy and are now processing the soy into all sorts of forms that are completely unnatural and may or may not have any health benefits. Healthy people know that foods that are highly processed, like soy milk and also, I would assume, like soy in sunscreen, are not the best choice. Foods in their natural state are the most healthy for us.

In other words, I would avoid soy as an ingredient in any skin care. Anything you put on your skin can be entering your bloodstream so it is best to be careful about those ingredients. Plus, according to the skin deep database, glycerine soja has not been assessed for safety by the cosmetic industry's Cosmetics Ingredient Review board.

If you want to know more about this, check out www.thyroid-info.com
#92 of 97 Old 07-05-2006, 01:18 PM

Thank you sooo much! I was having a hard time getting any info on that. It only makes sense that same thing goes for using somehting topically as it would for ingesting...

So I'm back to looking at the Erbaviva sunscreen. I just wish it were higher SPF (it's 15) I'm thinking 15 wouldn't be enough for DS so I think I'll just resort to California Babies for him.....
#93 of 97 Old 07-06-2006, 05:21 AM

I see Badger makes one too, it isn't any cheaper though. It might be easier to find and test before buying...

http://www.badgerbalm.com/spf.html
#94 of 97 Old 07-06-2006, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My understanding on the soy issue is that soy protein contains the phytoestrogens and stuff, the soy oil is fairly inert. I would certainly never use soy oil on somebody with a soy allergy, but it's low on my list of personal concerns.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#95 of 97 Old 07-06-2006, 10:38 AM

Agreed. Somebody mentioned potential thyroid problems or allergies. If you have already ruled out allergies or thyroid problems (or in my case, uterine fibroids), eating soy or putting it on shouldn't be a problem.

I kind of put this in the same boat as chamomile tea or lanolin. If you're allergic to this tea, don't drink it. If you have allergies to lanolin, don't put it on. But if you don't have any allergies to these things, both of these products are safe and good!
#96 of 97 Old 07-06-2006, 10:55 AM

The Badger Sunscreen looks PERFECT!! (Wish I'd have known about it yesterday before I ordered a tube of the UV Natural!! $$$$)
#97 of 97 Old 07-07-2006, 12:14 AM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page