Mothering Forum banner

Chlorine Alternative for swimming pool?

843 views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  cwaddick 
#1 ·
Hello. I am thinking of getting one of the small pools that you set up yourself. These aren't the baby pools, but the above ground pools with a filter and everything. However, I really don't like the idea of using chlorine. Is there any way to keep the water clean and healthy without toxic chemicals? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#7 ·
Now that I've been able to take these ideas and do some searching, I have found that the salt pools still make chlorine. They use some sort of pump/filter thing that produces chlorine from salt. I guess there won't be a perfect solution short of making a natural pool cleaned and filtered by plants. There's a dream for down the road!

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommystinch
Now that I've been able to take these ideas and do some searching, I have found that the salt pools still make chlorine. They use some sort of pump/filter thing that produces chlorine from salt. I guess there won't be a perfect solution short of making a natural pool cleaned and filtered by plants. There's a dream for down the road!
You're right, the something breaks the salt down into chlorine and sodium (salt is sodium chloride). The water gets cleaned there, then before it goes back to the pool, it is changed back to salt. So the chlorine part of it is isolated from the pool and the environment.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishmommy
You're right, the something breaks the salt down into chlorine and sodium (salt is sodium chloride). The water gets cleaned there, then before it goes back to the pool, it is changed back to salt. So the chlorine part of it is isolated from the pool and the environment.

Ah, the salesman didn't explain that to me. That changes things a bit. Thank you for the extra info

Also, thanks for the Baquile (sp?) recommendation. I will look into that a bit more.

#12 ·
I ended up going with Baquacil. It wasn't my top pick, but I think the best choice for our pool. The pool is an easy up pool that only olds 500+ gallons. I pump for a salt water pool costs over $1000 here and is way to large for my pool. The Baquacil seems to be more gentle than chlorine, so I have my fingers crossed!

#14 ·
realgoods.com has a non-chlorine pool cleansing device - it's solar powered.

Floatron Pool Purifier
The Floatron reduces your chlorine usage by an average of 80%. The Floatron's efficient solar panel generates a low-power electrical current that energizes a specially alloyed mineral electrode. The mineral ions produced effectively prevent the growth of harmful microorganisms, like algae and bacteria, in your pool water. The mineral electrode lasts for one to three seasons, the unit will last the life of your pool.

Suitable for sizes up to approximately 40,000 gallons.
24-month manufacturer warranty.

http://www.realgoods.com/shop/shop6....602/ts/1042801

#17 ·
This topic has come up for discussion a number of times in this forum.

I recommend that you do a search within this forum on chlorine and pools.

If you do, please post the results in this thread. You can post URL links to the old threads that were helpful or just quote people.

-- Caitlin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.