Laser hair removal / Breastfeeding Problem - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-02-2005, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this for real?

So I have ugly black hairs all over my chin from PSOS and decided I was ready to get rid of them. Mom paid for laser hair removal at NUVO. My first appointment they see me breastfeeding my 11mo and tell me they can't do it if I am lactating. I thought she was kidding. I left nearly in tears and now I don't know what to do. They have done no research to support this, they are just covering their butts. As far as I can tell, there is no reason lacation should be affected. When I left they said, "Come back in a couple months when you wean her." Um...my 4yo is still nursing...I think I'll be lactating for a while now.

So, do I go back and lie about lactating, and get it done? Or try something else (electrolosis didn't work) and see if I can get my Mom's money back?
Is there anything else bad about Nuvo that anyone knows about?

I really HATE the hair. I've had them for 10 years and they are making me so upset. I did try to live with them and see past them and its just not worth it anymore.

I'd love some advice--I'm leaning toward telling them she weaned. HELP!

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#2 of 10 Old 05-02-2005, 04:00 PM

I can't imagine how it could influence your breastfeeding.Really can't.Find someone else and don't mention it.
#3 of 10 Old 05-09-2005, 01:49 AM

I had some really bad spider veins lasered off while I was breastfeeding. It was a non-issue and my baby was only 4 months at the time.
#4 of 10 Old 05-09-2005, 10:20 PM

According to Kellymom.com, laser hair removal has no effect on breastfeeding. I can't find any research to back that up, but you could either hand them that info or just feel safer going back and not mentioning your breastfeeding.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#5 of 10 Old 05-11-2005, 02:14 AM

Yes, demand that they give your mom's money back and also ask that they give you a list of scientific journal articles indicating there is any problem with laser hair removal while breastfeeding.
#6 of 10 Old 05-11-2005, 02:18 AM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#7 of 10 Old 05-12-2005, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
wait a month and tell em you weaned. if you cant leave the baby home, tank her up good b4 you go so you dont have to nurse in front of them.

Bring back the old MDC
#8 of 10 Old 05-12-2005, 01:12 PM

It is for insurance and litigation reasons and until everyone stops suing everyone else any research will not change it. Go back and lie and have it done. Good luck!
#9 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 03:05 AM

I had laser hair removal done when I was pregnant. Of course I stopped once I knew I was pregnant just in case. I do remember that the doctor (an MD) said that there were no known risks during pregnancy but as a medical doctor he would not peform the procedure during pregnancy. I asked my OB if I had risked my baby's health and he said no but don't do it anymore during the pregnancy. So I honestly would have it done while breastfeeding and just tell them you're not BFing anymore.
#10 of 10 Old 05-14-2005, 03:20 AM

Just my 2 cents....I have PCOS and lots of facial hair. I, too, got a g.c. for Nuvo laser hair removal....I went 6 times....I still have lots of facial hair...and it is not kind of course because NUVO took a razor to it just prior to using the laser.

Good Luck Mama!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page