What is your opinion of Melaleuca products? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-06-2005, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple moms from ds's school were talking about Melaleuca yesterday (one of them sells it) and it sounded interesting. I did a quick search here that revealed some hard-sell business tactics, but the mom said she would order whatever I'd like under her name, so it's not so much of an issue. [Then there's the issue of supporting a company that uses such tactics, but let's overlook that for the moment.]

Do you like the products? Why or why not? Are they environmentally friendly? Which do you especially like? I'd probably try the Melagel (for scrapes, etc) and possibly sunscreen for the kids and the acne medicine (Zap it) for me. The stuff seems not excessively expensive if it's good quality, especially with the PC price.

Thanks!

Becca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 05-06-2005, 06:39 PM

I LOVE Melaleuca products!! And the Melaleuca reps that I have been in contact with have never used hard sell tactics. The cleaning products are awesome - they work great and my dh doesn't get migraines when he uses them like he did with commercial products. I have heard really good things about the Zap It line too and have a friend who has just ordered it.
If you have someone willing to let you order I don't see the harm in trying it!
#3 of 17 Old 05-06-2005, 08:17 PM

I think they're too reticent about giving a complete ingredient list - from what I've seen they don't seem better/safer than other natural brands.

The pushy reps who invade us here drive us nuts - plus an online saga that played out elsewhere where reps (including at higher levels) were circulating a fake email about a toddler who died from drinking Resolve. Unethical esp since it continued even after the lie was investigated (I have a flyer from the funeral right here, was a quote...) Some of the details can be found at snopes.com
I understand they have or used to have a monthly ordering minimum.

So I'm not a big fan.
#4 of 17 Old 05-06-2005, 09:46 PM

they do have a monthly minimum order .. iirc it's $50 - but when you split it with someone, it's not bad. I only use the detergent and sol-u-mel, but split with my in-laws the monthly order isn't bad. My MIL uses 90% melaleuca stuff all around the house, and loves it.

I've yet to be able to get a full/comprehensive ingredient list .. but I know it can't kill ya - even if you drink it. Don't ask, i grabbed the wrong cup once. sol-u-mel tastes like crap, and it makes you crap, but that's about it. :LOL

oh forgot - we also use the pain-a-trate muscle rub - smells to high heaven but works really, really well.
#5 of 17 Old 05-06-2005, 11:21 PM

I used to use and sell their products. I loved them. But.... they do test on animals, and they outsource alot of their product now ( buy it and put their own label on it), which is not bad, I just don't like it. I make most of my own cleaning products now, but I was a solumel addict!
#6 of 17 Old 05-06-2005, 11:32 PM

I did not like the products. SeventhGeneration or Biokleen were much less expensive. Many of the Melealuca products are just not as natural as they seem. Also, if you use Homeopathic medicine the tea tree oil will mess that up.
#7 of 17 Old 05-07-2005, 02:48 AM

Ditto what fourgrtkidos said exactly.

I used Mela products for two years. There were some products I loved... but most were not as natural or safe as I first thought. My two cents - they are much better than the regular, chemical stuff - but 7th generation, sun & earth, etc are even better.

I get my detergent and dish soap through a coop (United Natural Foods) so the prices are affordable.

I make most of my own cleaning stuff though, and buy soap/bath products from wahms.
#8 of 17 Old 05-07-2005, 01:42 PM

e
#9 of 17 Old 05-08-2005, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
my beef is that the products use atrificial ingredients. the dryer sheets gave me a killer headache, the same kind i got when i bought the regular ones at walmart. and once you sign up, you have to sacfrifice your firstborn child to get out of it.

Bring back the old MDC
#10 of 17 Old 05-08-2005, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourgrtkidos
if you use Homeopathic medicine the tea tree oil will mess that up.
How exactly does TTO mess with homeopathics? References? I've just started to use homeopathics and use a lot of TTO in making my own cleansers (i'm one of the odd people who LOVES the smell of TTO )
#11 of 17 Old 05-08-2005, 12:27 PM

e
#12 of 17 Old 05-08-2005, 02:54 PM

Most homeopaths believe certain things are supposed to antidote remedies like coffee, strong essential oils (eucalyptus, menthol, mint) and tea tree oil. Many recommend you do not store your remedies near essential or tea tree oils, perfumes or even microwaves. It is also recommended you do not have them X-rayed like if you go on an airplane. They also recommend not eating, drinking or smoking at least 10 minutes before and after taking your remedy. It is pretty standard among western homeopaths and I think started because Hahnemann (the founder of homeopathy) was very careful when "proving" his remedies that other substances were not having an effect. It is interesting that I have been told that homeopaths in India do not subscribe to the antidote idea, and they have success with remedies. To be on the safe side I don't keep TTO or my essential oils with my remedy kit, but I am not too concerned about it. But generally the antidote idea is shared by most homeopathic practioners. If you want I can pull up some practioner's websites that talk about antidotes.
#13 of 17 Old 05-08-2005, 03:03 PM

: I am very interested bc I have a friend who keeps trying to sell me these products. I have put it off so far, and from reading this am glad I did.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#14 of 17 Old 05-09-2005, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all - your replies were very helpful. I think I'll pass on her offer, but even if I end up trying something (I've been wanting to get a cleanser with salycylic acid anyway) I KNOW now that I won't even consider membership if she brings it up.
#15 of 17 Old 05-09-2005, 05:00 PM

farmer mama -
Thanks for the info! I knew about the not eating/drinking and had heard about the coffe thing but never TTO. If you do have a referencce offhand I'd love to see it. Do you know if you are not EVER supposed to use TTO, or if it's just like the food thing (don't use it within X minutes of using your remedy, don't store remedies near it)? I love the scent and use it for household cleaning and dipe laundry
#16 of 17 Old 05-09-2005, 11:08 PM

I think it is pretty standard to just to avoid it, especially if you are taking a constitutional. But I have heard of some just recommending not using it within 10-15 min of taking the remedy. I don't have any concrete research, just homeopaths recommendations, but if you want I could post a few. I love TTO as well, so I won't take it when I am on a constitutional, but I am less concerned when I am just taking/giving a remedy for a one time thing. If that makes any sense.
#17 of 17 Old 05-11-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer mama
I think it is pretty standard to just to avoid it, especially if you are taking a constitutional. But I have heard of some just recommending not using it within 10-15 min of taking the remedy. I don't have any concrete research, just homeopaths recommendations, but if you want I could post a few. I love TTO as well, so I won't take it when I am on a constitutional, but I am less concerned when I am just taking/giving a remedy for a one time thing. If that makes any sense.
Perfect sense Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page