Can I freeze pyrex? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-16-2005, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to freeze some fresh fruit -- but would like to avoid using plastic. Can pyrex be frozen? If not, any other alternatives?
#2 of 10 Old 05-16-2005, 02:24 PM

I think its ok to freeze pyrex. the potential problem with freezing stuff in glass containers is that stuff with a lot of water content expands when frozen, but the pyrex won't so it might crack. i think i would try it but dont fill the container too much? what do others think?
#3 of 10 Old 05-16-2005, 02:30 PM

I freeze in my Pyrex all the time. Just leave space for expansion.
#4 of 10 Old 05-16-2005, 02:43 PM

We freeze pyrex, no problems.
#5 of 10 Old 05-16-2005, 02:44 PM

I line mine with saran wrap and when it's frozen solid I pop out the frozen block & peel off the saran wrap. That way I can use the pan while keeping the other item frozen. Of course, I put the frozen thing in a plastic bag, so I guess that won't help you not use plastic! Either way, the pan in fine to freeze in.
#6 of 10 Old 05-16-2005, 03:07 PM

I also freeze in corningware with no problems so far...
#7 of 10 Old 05-16-2005, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After you freeze in pyrex (we do this too) you can pop out the frozen stuff and wrap in freezer paper or foil if you wanna avoid plastics.
#8 of 10 Old 05-16-2005, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've frozen stuff in baby food jars- just be sure to leave room for expansion.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#9 of 10 Old 05-23-2014, 12:35 AM

My wife just bought 6 Pyrex dishes with seal proof lids./  No where did I find any reference to the product being suitable for freezing.  Our freezers are set to -22 Deg centigrade, so I was apprehensive the product would survive long term freezing.

Now, I know from my school physics that Pyrex was developed as a strong, low expansion glass, so heating and cooling should hardly affect it and the expansion rate of the glass should be minimal.  That's ok provided the temperature change occurs gradually (several hours), and that's because glass is an extremely poor conductor of heat, so a rapid change of temperature is not on.  Putting a Pyrex plate in a Microwave, then taking it out and putting on a S/S sink drainer is inviting disaster.  Believe me, when I did it, the plate exploded after 1 minute into a thousand pieces, same as toughened glass windshields do when hit.

So to test the salesman saying, yes it's ok to freeze food, I would point out several factors you should consider.

1.  Make sure the food to be frozen is at room temperature (for several hours) before putting dishes in freezer.

2.  Make sure that the ice formed can expand vertically, without causing pressure on the glass.  This is achieved by the sides of Pyrex dishes being tapered towards the bottom, so that expansion forces are taken with a vertical component, not sideways.  So insure your dishes have tapered sides.  This is critical.

3.  After several weeks deep freeze, take the dish out of the freezer and place on rubber/plastic/wood base or chopping board.  Leave for several hours (At least 3-5 ) before further action, make sure both food and dishes are at room temperatures, especially if same dish is placed in microwave.

I looked closely at the literature.  Nowhere did it mention the Pyrex bowls/dishes could be put in deep freeze.  On each item we bought (made in the USA) there was stamped - microwave safe, do not broil, do not put on stove top.  So I wonder if you can actually put it in an oven or in a deep freeze.  We have had Pyrex Casserole/dishes cooking roasts in the oven, so I presume this is OK.  My wife assures me she has used Pyrex many times in the oven.  Pyrex however, will not admit to this, I think  because they cannot prevent people sticking something from the oven into cold water sink to cool it quickly.  Nothing will take this temperature shock without severe contraction/expansion forces.  Try pouring boiling water onto a S/S sing base, and the explosive "pop" can be alarming.  (Men should know what I'm talking about when they splash the walls).  Corning Ware is safe and suitable for ovens and I have tested this.  I feel it has lower coefficient of expansion than Pyrex.

My verdict is yes, you can freeze, Pyrex, but take the precautions mentioned above.

Cheers, JoJo-Zep

#10 of 10 Old 05-23-2014, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

The whole Pyrex breakage thing is pretty complicated:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

As JoJo-Zep said, fast temperature changes are a no-no, particularly when only part of the container experiences a big change.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page