Getting sticky sticker residue off… - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure where this should go so I’ll just start here…

You know when you pull a product sticker off and it doesn’t come off all the way, it leaves that glue stuff behind? Does anyone know how to get it all off?

Sorry if this sounds really dumb, but I haven’t figured out a way yet and I’ve tried all kinds of things. I can usually scrape a lot of it off but some always stays behind and dirt gets stuck in it and it is just nasty. I just did this to a new butter dish yesterday and I want to use it, but I’m not putting my bare butter on nasty, sticky glue! :

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#2 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 02:53 PM

I'm pretty sure that rubbing alchohol works.

I'm still using the product called Goo Gone. Its one of the few UNnatural products still hanging around. I paid money for it, so I haven't wanted to just toss it.

I wouldn't want to put my butter on that either!

:LOL
#3 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 03:00 PM

another goo gone user here - though I haven't used it in a while. For dishes sometimes I have had luck with Really Really hot water - but I assumed you already tried that

Good luck.

Myr: wife to John 8/98 and mommy to Willow 06/03, Rowan 04/07 and Linden 02/10
#4 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Try lighter fluid (the kind in the blue and yellow squeeze bottle) or nail polish remover. Use some on a cotton pad. If the label is still on, allow it to soak a bit (you can see the paper absorbing the fluid). The label should slide right off.

The lighter fluid works great on adhesive residue on paper! It evaporates and won't harm the paper or leave a mark. Be aware, though, that the adhesive may leave its mark on paper!

By the way, this stuff works great on removing band-aids, too! Barely lift the edge of the adhesive part of the band-aid, and dab the fluid on the skin underneath. Slowly lift the band-aid and continue dabbing the fluid on the part where the skin & band-aid meet. Do NOT let the fluid touch a wound as it will sting!!! This is especially great for removing band-aids from areas that have hair on them (forearm, hairy leg).

I have NO problems changing band-aids on our 6 year old ds using this "technique"!!
#5 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 03:10 PM

Try using creamy peanut butter. Put it on and leave it for a couple of hours, then wash. It worked wonders on a couple of my sticky spots, but it didn't work for one of them.

Rebecca wife of Megan...moms to six crazy kiddos! Seth (15), Madison (13), Zachary (12), Trevor (12), Alex (10), and Nicholas (9)
#6 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nail polish remover Works great on removing those nasty dirt marks on your skin when you've had surgical tape on to long too. Learned that from my PT guy

Seriously?
#7 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 03:23 PM

I love goo gone!!! I have used it on all manner of things from clothing, to walls to my own skin. It works great! I used to use rubbing alcohol, but noticed that it will sometimes take the finish off of things (the picture frame I was going to give as a gift, for example : ) My dad introduced me to goo gone, and I haven't looked back since! :LOL
#8 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

I've tried nail polish remover, didn’t work for me. Hot water too, lots of times. I’ve never thought to try rubbing alcohol though... I don’t even keep any in the house. Or lighter fluid...

I’ll try the peanut butter though! If that doesn’t work I guess I will try to find some Goo Gone. This happens to me ALL THE TIME (I’m too impatient to take the stickers off properly ).

Thanks all!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#9 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 05:51 PM

Try baking soda and vinegar. Sprinkle some b.s. on the sticky then add a little vinegar so it fizzes. Let it sit a couple minutes the wipe it off.
#10 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 PM

Moving this to Natural Home and Body Care...
#11 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 10:57 PM

Ok, I just did this today with a VERY sticky label on a spice jar that I plan to reuse. Well I got a bowl that it could be submerged in, squirted a bit of dish soap added just enough HOT water to get some bubbles going and added about 6 drops of sweet orange EO. Then I swished it around to combine, dropped in the spice jar and added more hot water to cover.

A couple hours later, I checked it and the label was just laying in the water. The jar was smooth with no sign of glue. I was a bit shocked that it worked. Hope that helps ya some. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page