Ivory soap: a natural alternative? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-17-2005, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

I'm looking for naturals products for my home and my familly. Do you think Ivory soap is a natural product? I can't find the ingredients on the web...

Thank you
#2 of 17 Old 05-17-2005, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, I know that it doesn't contain BHA, BHT, or TBHQ (preservatives) or synthetic colors or fragrances because those chemicals aren't allowed on the Feingold Program and Ivory soap is Feingold approved.

I know that it's simple and basic and far safer/more natural than bar soaps that are loaded with purfumes and such. I know that I use it in the shower, by the sink, and for handwashing. I'm not sure exactly how it's made and how it compares, environmentally, with something like castille soap, or a baking soda scrub, or a vinegar rinse.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 17 Old 05-17-2005, 06:20 PM

John Ratzenberger visited there on his Made in America program, it showed them making it. I don't remember if they said what was in it.

Don't know if that helps or not.

I know that when the guy from Ivory Soap was talking about the 99 and 44/100 pure, John asked "Shouldn't that fraction be reduced to 11/25's", and I don't think the guy thought it was funny. Oh, well, I think John R. is too cute...
#4 of 17 Old 05-17-2005, 06:39 PM

Quote:

" I know that when the guy from Ivory Soap was talking about the 99 and 44/100 pure, John asked "Shouldn't that fraction be reduced to 11/25's", and I don't think the guy thought it was funny. Oh, well, I think John R. is too cute..."

:LOL
that made me laugh

so who is John R? Is he some kind of a consumer/NFL advocate?

Also I wanted to say, it seems to me that Cetaphil (you know, the liquid face soap) is also more natural than other soaps, in the same way that Ivory is. But I haven't ch"ecked the ingredients so would be interested if anyone knows this.
#5 of 17 Old 05-17-2005, 06:56 PM

Trace, you are making me feel old... That is ok, I AM one of the older mamas here...

John Ratzenberger is an actor. He is most famous for being Cliff the mailman, and regular at the bar on the TV show "Cheers".

More recently, he has been the voice of Ham on Toy Story, and he does this show called Made In America, on Discovery Channel, where he visits all over America. I really liked when he went to Longaberger baskets and Harley D.

http://travel.discovery.com/fansites/jrmia/jrmia.html
#6 of 17 Old 05-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

Interesting thread. I am always trying to find good soaps. I use cetaphil bar soap and cetaphil lotion because I have sensitive skin. Ivory makes me itch.

Here are some links I found:

http://www.ivory.com/FAQ.htm#soap4

http://www.cetaphil.com/Products/Moisturizers.aspx

http://www.cetaphil.com/Products/CleansingBars.aspx

Ivory website is kinda vague but it seems like the product is fairly natural. Cetaphil is not but then again it is the only soap I've ever found that does not irritate my skin. Anyone have any other soaps they like?
#7 of 17 Old 05-17-2005, 08:03 PM

I forgot to say...

LOL

I use olive oil to cleanse, I have very sensitive skin. I use a little sugar mixed with warm water once a week to exfoliate. I have used cetaphil, it wasn't too bad as far as irritation. For moisturizer, I use a vanilla shea butter.

My middle son has issues with a little acne (he is 16) and he uses the ivory soap. It can be drying, but great for oily skin, I guess. It would not work for me, my skin is dry enough. And it would probably make ME itch too, as so many things do.

#8 of 17 Old 05-18-2005, 01:38 PM

Ivory soap is the only thing I can use on either of my boys (they have eczema) or they break out.
#9 of 17 Old 05-18-2005, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank's for your replys,

It seems that it's a good choice and it's the cheapest soap that I know !
#10 of 17 Old 05-18-2005, 07:05 PM

We use only Ivory, as well.

It's always bugged me that they didn't reduce their fraction, though. :LOL
#11 of 17 Old 05-18-2005, 08:54 PM

Ivory makes me itch, too. and if I get it anywhere near my genitals, it burns.

I can use Jergens, even though it does contain fragrance. but I choose not to, except to wash my hands.
#12 of 17 Old 05-23-2005, 02:22 PM

ivory is made with beef tallow (fat), if anyone minds that. also, p&g has been under fire a lot b/c of its animal testing (tho i hear they are doing less?).

i try to avoid the big companies, like p&g, b/c i have this bias (simplistic, i know), that big=evil.
#13 of 17 Old 05-23-2005, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is there an equivilent soap that "works" like ivory, costs about the same (or only slightly more) and is made by a "greener" company?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#14 of 17 Old 05-23-2005, 09:51 PM

Ruthla, Jergens is a smaller company, good "cheap" soaps--though they still use tallow.
#15 of 17 Old 05-24-2005, 01:55 AM

i wonder if ivory is actually as inexpensive as it seems, since they whip it with air to make it float. i wonder if one is actually getting less soap for the money. how much is ivory per bar?

the bars that dh gets at trader joe's seem to last forever (too long, imo, especially when he gets one that i don't like!).

sorry, not much help on the cost factor...

i've been experimenting with washing myself with baking soda (tho not in every area, if y'know what i mean. tried it, and burned for a week!!). but on the rest of me, it seems to do a nice job. i also use the same oils to clean my body that i use on my face. but that makes for a slippery, filmy tub. so i don't use it on the kids.
#16 of 17 Old 05-30-2005, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kirk's Coco Castile is very similar to Ivory in my experience and not as expensive as, say, Dr. B's, although I don't really know how much more expensive than Ivory it is.

Lard soap is really quite simple and cheap to make homemade. There is a lot of soapmaking info available on the Web.
#17 of 17 Old 05-30-2005, 03:47 AM

I just can't wrap my mind around scrubbing myself with lard. Vegetable glycerine for me, thanks. My friend makes them, so I get my soap from her, she adds Nag Champa fragrance & it's so yummy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page