another natural wonder....vinegar and seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-19-2005, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another great thing I've found is apple cider vinegar for seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp. It had really gotten out of control with itching, flaking, scabing, etc. It was painful and I never dared scratch in public because then I would have white flakes everywhere. So I tried rubbing apple cider vinegar on my scalp a few nights in a row and the itching was GONE! It has now come back -- a few weeks later. If I had used it longer in the beginning maybe it wouldn't have come back so fast. I've tried every dandruff shampoo out there as well as using cortisone cream on my scalp and nothing worked til this. It is really really amazing. Oh...the smell does seem to seep into the pores of my scalp and hair and will smell for several days - but it's worth it to me :-)
#2 of 7 Old 05-20-2005, 10:07 PM

This doesn't work for me, but I know it does for a lot of people. Sometimes dandruff is caused in part by yeast- maybe the vinegar kills it?
#3 of 7 Old 05-22-2005, 11:39 AM

When you did this, did you use straight vinegar or a solution?
#4 of 7 Old 05-22-2005, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

I've been using straight stuff but have been thinking of diluting it just to help with the smell! It is so powerful my 3 kids and husband won't come near me while it's in my hair. I wish it was a cleaner, more dissipating scent like white vinegar, but alas, it's so sour and potent!! I smell like rotten apples :-) but my scalp feels good. Actually when the scent stays, I just notice it when I'm wetting my hair to wash it again. I ask my kids to tell me and they say it doesn't smell unless they get right up against my scalp (kids are so honest!) I have very thick coarse, medium length hair so I don't know if it's just hard for me to rinse it out or if my thick hair actually shields the scent a little bit. Anyway....that's my experience.
#5 of 7 Old 05-22-2005, 11:04 PM

jeoweo what about adding essential oils or fragrance to improve the scent, Im not sure if they will incorporate properly or float on top but Im sure there is something you can add to get it to incorparate.

Eo’s good for hair
Borage
clary sage
Cedarwood
Juniper
Lavender
Neroli (Orange Blossom)
Palmarosa
Rosewood
Sandalwood
Tea Tree
Ylang Ylang
Pepermint
Eucalyptus
Myrrh
Lemon
Frankincense
Chamomile
Rosemary - should not use if pregnant
#6 of 7 Old 05-23-2005, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Great idea! I've been thinking of trying that, if I can find one that will go well with the ACV smell and not clash with it! If anyone has tried this, please let me know. Thanks.
#7 of 7 Old 05-23-2005, 05:11 PM

I've heard that lemon EO or even lemon juice works well with ACV

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page