Swiffer dry dusting cloths toxic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-20-2005, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our new housecleaner wants to use those Swiffer dry dusting/cleaning cloths to dust. I've been doing a little research to determine if there's any toxicity to them, but all I've come across is happy consumer reviews...apparently they work great. I checked out the P&G website and there's even a MSDD sheet for them, but it says ingredients not disclosed because of proprietery forumula! They do have some coating I think which makes an electromagnetic surface which attracts dust. Any idea what they might be made of? If I can't get any info, I'll just tell her she'll have to use a regular cloth. TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2005, 11:33 PM

Micro-fiber cloths attract dust also. That's what I use to clean. If you don't like un-natural fibers at all, you could use flannel. There is really no need to use a disposable cloth to dust. What a great opportunity to educate the women who cleans for you, in natural cleaning/recycling way. Many people don't think like we do. And if she sees that it is doable she may adopt some of your habbits!
Old 06-22-2005, 12:33 AM

Just wondering what is the best way to clean cloths after use. I've used some and I have a hard time getting all the lint off.
I usually throw them in with the towels or something, since I don't have enough to do a seperate load.

Thanks,

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
Old 06-22-2005, 09:20 AM

I put them in with the regular wash (cold cycle & line dry). They come out great! If they are really dusty with dark dust I will rinse them in the sink first.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

I've done more research since posting. The swiffer is one of those electromagnetic dusting cloths. I'm assumeing they all work the same way, but not sure how that is or if special coating or chemicals are needed. I have found a few "eco" websites which sell them and they say no chemicals. I might go with one of those. Also, they sell ones that are not disposable - you can wash them 100 times and they still maintain their electromagnetic property, which is what the housecleaner is after I think. Can't wait to see one of these things in action!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Just wondering what is the best way to clean cloths after use. I've used some and I have a hard time getting all the lint off.
Are you talking about the microfiber cloths? If so, you shouldn't put them in with the towels, as they attract lint. I put mine in with regular clothes and they come out just like new.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:40 AM

:
Old 06-30-2005, 06:06 PM

I tired a swiffer and I hated it. I use a microfibre dust mop (Vileda) now and it picks up WAY more dust than the swiffer ever did, and I can just shake it out and keep on cleaning. I found the swiffer dust mop to be ineffective and plus, on the package it says to keep out of the reach of children/pets. I don't know if that's because of chemicals or if they just put that there to cover their butts.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:31 PM

I put my regular microfiber towels/cleaning cloths onto my swiffer instead of the disposable cloths and it works great! I just tuck them into the little holes as usual. The smaller 12x12 cloths work best, but I use 16x16 or whatever I happen to have.

This is for the floor obviously; I use the cloths without the swiffer for dusting!

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 06-30-2005, 07:00 PM

My aunt cleans houses and she prefers a damp cloth.

User Tag List