Help anyone know how to get crayon off wood, walls, toys, plastic... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-24-2005, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds last night took a blue crayon to his life.
His bed, his walls, his toys, you name it if he could find it..
its now got blue crayon on it.

The wall mural is very inspirted but sigh we rent!

8 might be enough
#2 of 13 Old 06-24-2005, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

oh it needs to be safe for kids - tomorrow he's helping on cleanup!

8 might be enough
#3 of 13 Old 06-24-2005, 10:42 PM

#4 of 13 Old 06-25-2005, 10:47 AM

White colored (NOT Whitening or bleaching) tooth paste and a tooth brush. Works great. We had to clean our walls to get the house appraised, and our ped. recommended it. I also used a bit of orange oil cleaner (citra solve?) to clean up any residue the tooth paste left.
#5 of 13 Old 06-26-2005, 06:58 AM

Plain old baking soda on a damp cloth and lots of elbow grease! Works great I also have a Picasso!
#6 of 13 Old 06-27-2005, 12:05 AM

My biggest "natural home care" sin is the Mr. Clean Magic eraser ;->

It gets crayon off of things that baking soda won't and the kids can actually manage most of the cleanup themselves.

I don't *want* to know about it's environmental impact. It's made out of the same stuff that some kids' dishes are made out of, melamine, only in a foam form instead of a hard, solid form.

We're moving out of this apartment on Tuesday, and I just bought 2 packs of 4... I'm just hoping that's enough! The girls have been particularly artisitic lately :-/ I'm panicked about our deposit... or getting charged extra.
#7 of 13 Old 06-27-2005, 04:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silliest
My biggest "natural home care" sin is the Mr. Clean Magic eraser ;->

It gets crayon off of things that baking soda won't and the kids can actually manage most of the cleanup themselves.

I don't *want* to know about it's environmental impact. It's made out of the same stuff that some kids' dishes are made out of, melamine, only in a foam form instead of a hard, solid form.

We're moving out of this apartment on Tuesday, and I just bought 2 packs of 4... I'm just hoping that's enough! The girls have been particularly artisitic lately :-/ I'm panicked about our deposit... or getting charged extra.

I am sorry to burst your cleaning bubble but this is what mr clean magic eraser is made of (from its own material safety review sheet off the proctor and gamble website)

Formaldehyde-Melamine-Sodium Bisulfite Copolymer

That being said the national institute of health's product safety database says it is nontoxic if you keep it clean and dry but it also says to keep it out of the hands of children and that it is toxic if swallowed or if particles of it are inhaled. It is toxic if it gets hot or old and dusty.

I think I would just use paint to cover up the walls and switch to washable crayons to be used under strict supervision only.

sorry
#8 of 13 Old 06-27-2005, 10:38 AM

Hmmm.. I've seen no reference to it being "toxic". Toxic specifically means poisonous.

This appears to be the same reference you are using, but it specifically states "non-toxic":
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=16003386

There's nothing here about the stuff becoming toxic at any stage.
Where did you get that idea from?

The hazard appears to come from it's mechanical properties.
Naturally, any abrasive will be an irritant if applied improperly and any sponge would pose an intestinal blockage hazard if ingested. These are not "toxicity" hazards.

>>I think I would just use paint to cover up the walls and switch to washable crayons to be used under strict supervision only.<<

Ha-ha! Oh, my! You do have a young one, right? And only one child so far?
Well, I hope that works for you! It's a nice idea, and it certainly *sounds* logical, but around here, it's just so implausible that it's funny.
Not to, um, burst your bubble or anything.
#9 of 13 Old 06-27-2005, 05:11 PM

I used orange oil cleaner when this happened to us. Someone also suggested on this board to use baby oil. It may be the best use yet for that stuff you got as a shower gift that you cannot use on baby.
#10 of 13 Old 06-28-2005, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
silliest
we can go to confessional together! I also bought Mr. Clean for the first time when moving out of an apartment. Don't ask me why apartments use such cheap paint. I mean you can just brush up against it a leave a rub mark (which the eraser does a great job at removing). I can't wait till I can paint my own walls with a more durable paint.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#11 of 13 Old 06-28-2005, 01:04 AM

Me too!

Our house will have washable paint, that I can guarantee! <LOL!>

I got *sharpie* off of (count them) *twelve* different surfaces today.

I forgot to take the marker I was using on the boxes with me when I went to the bathroom today, because the girls were in anothe rpart of the house, playing happily. The potty-visit took a bit longer than anticipated, and by the time I got out, the littlest angel had decided to go to town with it. I about had a heart attack. I *just* finished cleaning everything up before she did that!

The only thing I couldn't get the marks off of was the child ;-> I'm a fan, but I'm not using those things *on* the kid <LOL!>
#12 of 13 Old 06-28-2005, 01:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silliest
Hmmm.. I've seen no reference to it being "toxic". Toxic specifically means poisonous.

This appears to be the same reference you are using, but it specifically states "non-toxic":
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...ds&id=16003386

There's nothing here about the stuff becoming toxic at any stage.
Where did you get that idea from?

The hazard appears to come from it's mechanical properties.
Naturally, any abrasive will be an irritant if applied improperly and any sponge would pose an intestinal blockage hazard if ingested. These are not "toxicity" hazards.

>>I think I would just use paint to cover up the walls and switch to washable crayons to be used under strict supervision only.<<

Ha-ha! Oh, my! You do have a young one, right? And only one child so far?
Well, I hope that works for you! It's a nice idea, and it certainly *sounds* logical, but around here, it's just so implausible that it's funny.
Not to, um, burst your bubble or anything.
Hey, be nice.
First of all, I downloaded the materials safety form and got the info about it being toxic if eaten or if it dries out and is inhaled. Secondly, I worked at a preschool with 10 2-3 yr olds when I was in high school and have taught elementary school for ten years. And, I go to co op preschool with dd. And, I have plently of friends with more than one child. You can manage to contain children's artistic messes to places that are easy to clean up, even if you have a whole bunch. You just don't leave the art tools and other creatively messy implements out where they can find them and use them without your supervision. It is possible.
#13 of 13 Old 06-28-2005, 10:24 AM

Ok, I don't know what your walls are like but our rented walls are painted so that even a damp cloth will strip of paint. So I can only use a wet/damp rag and we've been able to get crayon off of the walls, wood cabinets, vinyl tile, etc--and even the tot (who's younger than yours) was able to get crayon off the table and glass sliding door by himself with just a wet cloth. So in the apartment we just use water and elbow grease, but when we were still in the house we used a water vinegar mixture. Some of the other ideas sound great but would have really stripped the paint off of the walls in our apartment, so if you notice your paint coming off I wanted you to know you can get it off with just water and not have to give up and repaint.
Hope that helps some, CJ

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page