New carpet - off-gassing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-28-2005, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We desperately need to replace the carpet in our two main bedrooms, due to pet stains that I'm pretty sure just won't come out, and a lovely blue latex paint spill in one room. I would ideally like to have new carpet before baby comes in Sept, but I'm really concerned about off-gassing of the new carpet.

How concerned should I be? Would it be better to get new carpeting after baby comes, versus while I'm still pregnant? Are there any ways to speed up the off-gassing -- say close the door and open the windows and stay out of the room for a while?

Or... any ideas for either cleaning our existing carpet, or alternatives to the usual toxic carpet? (ie would laminate flooring be better?)

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#2 of 8 Old 06-28-2005, 02:42 PM

Yeah, I'd be concerned, too. New carpet is pretty bad. You could just air out the room, but I don't know how long it would take. And I would say after the baby comes would be worse than now. Right now, baby has your body to filter out crap. After birth, it's just toxic assault on a brand-new baby!

How does the floor underneath look? Could you pull up the carpet and put down a large area rug? That would eliminate the glue and padding. Anything in the rug would air out pretty quickly that way.

I really like the laminate idea. You can get a glueless, click-together kind. Then you'll have a room that doesn't harbor mites and dust and whatever else all lives in carpet!

HTH!
#3 of 8 Old 06-28-2005, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherKatrina
How does the floor underneath look? Could you pull up the carpet and put down a large area rug? That would eliminate the glue and padding. Anything in the rug would air out pretty quickly that way.
Unfortunately it's a pretty new house and the only thing under the carpet is the concrete foundation. I think I'm beginning to lean more towards laminate...

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#4 of 8 Old 07-02-2005, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have pergo in our dining room (covering some hideous linoleum tile) and it's not bad. It's easy to keep clean and looks nice enough. We didn't do our 'natural house' homework at the time though, so I'm not sure what the binders and such are made from and what kind of VOCs if any might offgas. We haven't had any reactions to it and it doesn't smell funny when new. I like it.

You can buy all natural wall to wall carpeting, but it's pricey I bet. I saw it advertised in mother earth news (or some similar publication) once.
#5 of 8 Old 07-03-2005, 12:24 AM

A friend of mine had wool carpeting installed. They used felt as the underpadding. It was expensive, though. A small living room cost them $2500!!!
#6 of 8 Old 07-03-2005, 12:33 AM

Well, since we are now being forced to replace all the carpet in our basement, I am thinking about this, too. Especially in a basement, where the gasses will be trapped longer. Perhaps I should do some more homework about flooring alternatives. Thanks for the reminder.
#7 of 8 Old 07-03-2005, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We put down a raised floor in our basement. It's a chipboard top with an egg-crate looking rubber bottom to allow moisture to evaporate from the cement floor (and not get the new floor wet). We decided against carpeting in the basement because it gets mildewy/moldy unless you use an indoor/outdoor variety.

We're considering a natural floor covering in our living areas but our problem is the cat who will shred a cotton or wool or jute rug. Right now we just have cheapies from Home Depot and ironically he doesn't touch those.
#8 of 8 Old 07-03-2005, 11:07 AM

check out Interface FLOR

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page