Cloth pads, reusable cups, what to use when my daughter starts her period? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-09-2005, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those of you with older children, what have you done? I'm switching over to all mama cloth and a diva cup for myself. But I'm wondering what's the best route for a young girl? I, obviously, have no idea when she will get her first period, but it's been on my mind a lot lately. I want to be as prepared as possible for this veyr important time in her life. We've used cloth diapers on all of our babies, so I don't think that she would think it was strange. I'd really love to hear from others about what they've done for their daughters. I'd also love some advice on how you talked to them about it. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 07-09-2005, 06:22 AM

DD hasn't started yet, but she's all for using cloth pads here around home (she wants disposables for school though...PS). I, personally, think a cup would be too much for someone so young and not in tune with her body. I'm 30-some odd years old and I'm having a time getting used to a cup.
#3 of 10 Old 07-09-2005, 07:26 AM

My dds are just little yet, but I agree that cloth pads would be the way to go if she is willing. I remember when I was young getting a "starter pack" of disposable products, all different sizes & types, along w/a couple age-appropriate books. I thought it was so cool! Maybe you could assemble something like that w/cloth ahead of time, so that she can try out a few different kinds of pads to see what she likes best. I read on here a while back about a "New Moon Celebration" or something of that sort for young women w/their first menses. Maybe someone has the link? It seemed like a great idea.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#4 of 10 Old 07-09-2005, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Max that is a fantastic idea! And with all the different wahm's out there and pretty patterns they offer....that will be cool! Thanks!

And Lish, you're right, a cup would be too much for a young girl. Hadn't really thought about it enough I think!

Thanks ladies!
#5 of 10 Old 07-09-2005, 06:32 PM

I don't have a dd yet, but I've thought about this a lot. If it were me, I'd prolly start her on cloth pads, because those are the least invasive and easiest to use. For something internal, if she wanted to swim, I'd go with sea sponges, because they're so soft. When she got older, maybe she'd like a Keeper or something. I started using the Keeper when I was a virgin, so I know it can be done. But I was quite comfortable with my body at that point. Maybe she'd also like a piece of jewelry, red, maybe a small ruby? Most girls I know wouldn't like a party or anything, but maybe a special dinner with mom and a friend? Jade and Pearl has a menarche gift set.
#6 of 10 Old 07-10-2005, 01:37 PM

I don't have a daughter (yet : ), but I think that putting a basket together of different products is a great idea. I think it would be fun to make a big deal out it...I love Persephone's idea of a piece of jewelry, I think ruby or garnet would be beautiful. I know there are several WAHM sites that have "My First Moon" gift baskets but I can't seem to remember which ones! :
#7 of 10 Old 07-11-2005, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

What a lovely idea!! I'll have to do some searching for these gift sets! THANK YOU all for the inspiration and advice! I'm actually excited about this instead of freaked out! lol
#8 of 10 Old 07-11-2005, 06:41 AM

wow, my dd is only one, and it's funny, i never thought about what SHE'd do at puberty...interesting thread...I wonder if mama pads might be embarassing to a tween?
#9 of 10 Old 07-11-2005, 06:43 AM

adding...I hope that saying it might be embarassing isnt' a bad thing to say. I just wondered cuz I remember how weird kids can be, ya know?
#10 of 10 Old 07-11-2005, 03:19 PM

My DD is 12, hasn't started yet but we're prepared. She wants to use cloth at home but not out and about and I can understand that for her (toting used ones around).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page