Weaning from Ziplock bags- Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2005, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK- I hate ziplock bags.
Its plastic, it probly leeches, and often time I can only get away with using it once.
However, I cant seem to stop needing and buying them.
They are so simple to use, and compact in our small kitchen.
So easy to grab a snack in the bag and wisk the 3 kids off.
I also use them in the freezer.

I do reuse our bread bags for snack bags- but this doesnt compensate for the amount of ziplocks we use.

Have you given up ziplocks altogether? Should I just let myself off the hook and feel good that I use cloth grocery bags and reuse produce bags?
What is the alternatve?

And to those that reuse ziplock bags- which brand do you use because the ones i use fall apart when being reused. Also, how do clean them, know they are clean?

Thanks
brenda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 02:17 AM

We stopped using them. I think it depends what you're using them for.

They make waxed paper bags, and celulose bags, which I know can both be gotten at Whole Foods or some such place.

We use foil for some things. We never use plastic in the freezer if we can help it because it DOES leech in the cold. Maybe some smaller cloth bags? You can even sew them yourself.

We use glass a lot (pyrex, it doesn't shatter). And for non-refriderated stuff we'll use Tupperware. It's made from #5 which isn't so toxic.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
We use glass a lot (pyrex, it doesn't shatter). And for non-refriderated stuff we'll use Tupperware. It's made from #5 which isn't so toxic.
Pyrex CAN shatter, I have done it before. I was surprised because it isn't supposed to.

Is this what you use in the freezer? Do you get freezer burns? I am trying to find something to freeze fresh produce in. Thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 07:34 PM

I reuse the Ziplock gallon freezer bags, but I can usually only make them last about 3 uses. I recently bought a set of #5 soup/salad storage containers at Wild Oats...so far they work great, and I like that they're dishwasher safe.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:41 PM

Can't you use glass in the freezer as long as you leave room for expansion?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 07-12-2005, 08:01 PM

Oh, I had no idea it could shatter. Like you said, it's not supposed to. Hm. Well, so far we've had good luck with it. And yes, we use it in the freezer, thought I admit I've never used it for fresh produce. I usually use it for things like sauces, chilis and soups, and yep, leave room for expansion.

It certainly does create a space problem, though after awhile. I admit that freezer bags are so much more efficient when it comes to freezer space.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:22 AM

I still use some zip top bags (store brand) & wash & reuse them several times. As long as nothing yucky was in there. I also would like to come away from them even more. But for the lunch box they're nice because thy don't take up too much space. Looking into getting wax paper bags! Glass canning jars can also be used in fridge & freezer (with a head space)

User Tag List