Natural drain unclogger? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-14-2005, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Due to my post-partum pattern balding (LOL) my bathroom drain is startting to clog. I'm leary about pouring Draino or Liquid Plumer down the drain because of the chemicals and plus that stuff is EXPENSIVE! My FIL said to use bleach, but again with the chemicals and smell! Is there any 'natural' drain clearer that will eat through hair and unclog my drain? TIA!

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-14-2005, 03:34 PM

Try these:

Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain followed by 1 cup of hot vinegar. Try heating the vinegar in the microwave before adding it to the drain. Wait 5 minutes before flushing the drain with 2 quarts of hot water. You can repeat this process a few times if it is necessary. If this is the first time you have cleaned your drain in a long time it may be necessary to repeat the baking soda flush a couple of times.

or

Try pouring 1 Cup of baking soda and 1/2 Cup of salt down the drain. Let this mixture sit in the drain for several hours, overnight is best, before flushing the drain with 2 cups of boiling water.
#3 of 8 Old 07-14-2005, 03:53 PM

I have read that alka-selzter and vinegar will work. I believe that coke will eat through anything, and it cleans your toilet bowls to boot!

I just read that Nair hair removal will work, and that makes sense, squirt some down your drain!
#4 of 8 Old 07-14-2005, 06:40 PM

for hair clogs, they sell these barbed plastic thingys that you poke down into the drain and pull up the hair and gunk... I've seen them at Home Depot and places like that. Here's the link!

Baking soda and vinegar work great on food gunk clogs in the kitchen sink, but I don't see it doing much good against a hair clog in the bathtub drain. JMHO
#5 of 8 Old 07-14-2005, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mama's! My hair catcher is screwed in (it doesn't seem to catch everything, the drain is very slow draining) so I don't know about the barbed wire thing, might run it by DH and see what he says. I might try the nair thing too...surely there aren't that many chemicals in it if they allow it to be on a persons body?

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#6 of 8 Old 07-14-2005, 10:30 PM

I don't know where you are, but what we got was a thing called "power plumber", it is pressurized air that uses the combined force of air/water to plunge through anything safely without harsh chemicals. I have used it both in my old (100+) year house, and my current house (built in 1973) with no damage to pipes or worry about dangerous stuff. It runs about 9.00 or so, and is good for many uses. I got mine at a local HW store, but I know that Home depo, menards etc. carry it. It even has a VERY mild lemon scent to it, and deodorizes the pipes at the same time.
#7 of 8 Old 07-14-2005, 11:05 PM

I used to have frequent problems with hair clogs in the tub. We used everything, even the very "best" (really, worst : ) professional stuff at Home Depot. Then one day I tried boiling water, baking soda and vinegar and it is AMAZING!!!

I pulled out all the hair I could, poured a kettle full of boiling water in the drain, poured about 1/2-1 cup of baking soda in the drain and kept adding vinegar little by little until I could not hear the bubbling anymore (at first it will bubble at the top, then it will move down the drain). The first time I followed that with a few plunges and another kettle of boiling water.

We used to have a plugged drain every 2-3 months but not anymore. Now I just pull the hair out when it starts to slow down and that is usually all I need to do.

Also, there are LOTS of NASTY chemicals in Nair. Try the baking soda and vinegar before you go that route.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#8 of 8 Old 07-15-2005, 05:13 PM

I've found that our regular old toilet plunger works just great for any shower drain blockages we've had. And believe me, I lose A LOT of hair, for months, after I give birth. It helps too for me to do a serious brushing (and I don't normally ever brush my hair) before showering, plus while I'm showering I'll stick gobs of hair to the shower wall. Doing those two things definitely cut down on the number of drain plugs we had!

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page