Can somebody explain the WHY of no poo to me? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-19-2005, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had just gotten all excited about finding a recipe for 'real' shampoo (made from scratch...not just herbs added to baby shampoo.) Then, I started seeing he no poo thing here.
Most of what I've read is from gals with thin hair. Is that the point...to make your hair fuller by not having shampoo residue?
I've got longish, very thick, coarse hair, (it's been described as being like a horse's tail) so I don't need anything to make mine fuller, or less soft.
Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-19-2005, 02:32 PM

One point is to not strip your hair of its natural oils, which your scalp will then make more and more and then you end up having to wash your hair daily. A lot of us only have to wash twice a week.
Another is to keep certain chemicals off your head, such as sodium laurel or laureth sulfate. There have been studies that show that this chemical can be absorbed into your skin.
Another reason is cost.
Another reason is that some people have noticed they don't hhave dandruff anymore.
I can't think of anymore at this moment though.
#3 of 14 Old 07-19-2005, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's cheap.
Done properly, it's supremely gentle and good for my hair.
My hair looks fantastic and healthy.
It's cheap.
It uses no petrochemicals and the bare minimum of packaged, purchased goods.
It uses no potentially irritating or hazardous chemicals.
Its manufacture creates no toxic wastes.
It's cheap.
It feels and smells nice.
It's healthy for my scalp too.
Did I mention it's cheap?

One thing to remember is that "no poo" is usually really shorthand for "no commercial detergent shampoo". Most no-poo people wash, they just wash with different things, and the baking soda and vinegar is only one way: there are egg washes, water-only washes, herb washes, and natural, soap-based shampoo washes.

(BTW: I think several people with coarse wiry hair have reported that the baking soda & honey wash has made their hair softer and shinier. My hair is not coarse but it's definitely very very soft with this method.)

Truly, I think everyone could give up commercial detergent shampoos and find a method that's healthier, better for their hair and scalp, more environmentally responsible and in many cases more economical. The key is in finding what method works best for you.
#4 of 14 Old 07-19-2005, 05:24 PM

It's embarassingly superficial, but....
I just get a kick out of doing without all the things the nice ladies on TV tell me I need.
#5 of 14 Old 07-19-2005, 06:40 PM

I agree Super Pickle!
Haven't tried no poo yet, but I am on my way, trying to use up everything that I have!

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#6 of 14 Old 07-19-2005, 09:54 PM

What is the recipe (amounts and how to apply) for the baking soda and honey method?
#7 of 14 Old 07-19-2005, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterBee
What is the recipe (amounts and how to apply) for the baking soda and honey method?
: :

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#8 of 14 Old 07-20-2005, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterBee
I would love to know this as well.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#9 of 14 Old 07-20-2005, 09:54 AM

I have been using the bs/honey method on my super-dry hair for about 2 months now and love the results. I use a ratio of 2 parts bs to 1 part honey, then let the shower drop a little water in my hand and mix it into a paste. Just start experimenting to see exactly how much you need for how long/thick/dry your hair is.
#10 of 14 Old 07-21-2005, 02:23 AM

Please forgive me if it's off-topic. What about using Organic shampoos? Is that not in line with the reasons one would avoid shampoo? I can understand not doing it every day.

I use Nature's Gate shampoo and condtioner every two days or so but am wondering if I should reduce use or change "materials".

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#11 of 14 Old 07-21-2005, 03:38 AM

I believe natures gate still has sodium laurel sulfate in it. The only one that I know of that doesn't is Avalon, though I could be wrong. So I would think about switching. Though I have loved my no poo journey and think everyone should do it. Could you imagine what would happen if everyone just stopped buying shampoo and conditioner??? :LOL
#12 of 14 Old 07-21-2005, 08:56 AM

I went no 'poo three months ago after hearing how it reduced dry scalp and dandruff. I was washing every day with an expensive organic shampoo and I was still raining flakes.

I use a baking soda paste with tea tree oil to scrub and rinse with apple cider vinegar. I wash every fourth day and my hair looks the best it ever has, plus no flakes!
#13 of 14 Old 07-21-2005, 11:18 PM

I find commercial shampoos irritating, my scalp gets itchy bumps. Also it's really cool to have a big ole stack of soaps of all kinds, scents and colors in my shower and pick which one I want to use, lol. I was going out buying a different shampoo every month for literally years, trying to find one that my scalp could tolerate. Haven't had problems since I started washing with soap. My hair doesn't seem to care if its a "shampoo bar" recipe or not. I follow with a rinse of 2 tbs acv per cup of water.

The only hair problem I've had is recently I was swimming every day and not rinsing the pool water out.. bad mommy, the day gets busy, ya know? and my hair got rough texured and dry, so I went looking for something for it that would help without irritating.. I'm trying a few Jessicurl products to condition my hair after the chlorine damage. So far so good...
#14 of 14 Old 07-22-2005, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The way I do Baking Soda and Honey method is to put a scoop of bs into a 16 oz cup, put in a bit of diluted honey (for ease of pouring) in, then almost fill the cup with warm water from the shower. I pour this on all the areas of my head, then wind my hair up on top of my head and take the rest of my shower.

After I rinse the baking soda mix out of my hair, I pour a bit--2 to 3 TBSP-- of white or apple cider (depends on what I've gotten, food based only though) into the same cup, fill it the rest of the way with water and pour that all over and through my hair. I rinse that out well and then turn the hot water way down to do a cool/cold rinse.

Occasionally I use a tiny little bit of Nature's Gate henna conditioner.

"What will you do once you know?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page