If you use Always disposable pads... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are using Always brand disposable pads you might want to check out this article. Actually this is the shortened version but gives you the main points.

Contact dermatitis associated with the use of Always sanitary napkins
E. L. Eason and P. Feldman
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Montreal General Hospital, Que.

OBJECTIVE: To report a clinical association between vulvar irritation or contact dermatitis and the use of Always sanitary napkins.
DESIGN: Case series.
SETTING: A gynecology practice in Montreal.
PATIENTS: Women presenting between September 1991 and September 1994 with itching or burning of areas that would be in contact with a sanitary napkin (mons pubis, external surfaces of the vulva and perineum) beginning at least 1 day after the use of the napkins was started and less than 5 days after the use was stopped.
RESULTS: Twenty-eight women experienced vulvar itching and burning, often associated with eruptions resembling contact dermatitis, of the vulvar and perineal surfaces after using Always sanitary napkins. Twenty-six reported that symptoms disappeared after they stopped using that brand of sanitary napkin. Seven women who later used the same brand again reported a recurrence of the vulvar irritation.
CONCLUSION: The findings of this case series reveal Always sanitary napkins as a potentially important cause of recurrent vulvitis. Physician awareness of the association will enable effective advice and relief for a large number of women suffering "chronic vaginitis".
#2 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 01:37 PM

No kidding!

That was what I usually used before I swtiched to cloth... wow.

Other brands still caused me problems, though... wonder if I was just hypersensitive because of using Always most of the time.
#3 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 01:39 PM

Wow. I stopped using disposable pads because of the symptoms described in that article. Strange, but its nice to know I wasn't the only one. Of course, it would be better if no one had experienced these symptoms. So not fun.

However, I tried different brands without improvement.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#4 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 02:08 PM

That's what I used before I switched to cloth. And I did have exactly those symptoms. I always thought it was from not changing them frequently enough. But now that I think about it, it did go away right after I switched to cloth.
#5 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 02:17 PM

Me Too! I used to use Always. Got the symptoms described in the article. (Actually, I sometimes got thost symptoms no even with other brands.)

I sewed myself some mama pads and never looked back.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#6 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 02:37 PM

Maybe they all do it, and they've only bothered to study the Always brand so far.
#7 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 02:39 PM

I used to use Always as well but now I only use momma pads. I never had any of those symptoms though. I wonder how many were in the study?
#8 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 02:51 PM

I used Always but never had dermatitis because of paper pads. When I switched to cloth I remember thinking how much more comfortable I was in general. The guilt of throwing away all that crap was really bothersome, even when I used the organic disposables.
#9 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would always (no pun intended) itch like crazy when I used Always pads. Glad I got my Diva!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#10 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 03:34 PM

I used Always pads and had a similar reaction. I tried to find a different brand with a more 'natural' covering... but I found mama cloth or my ds' diaper doublers :LOL and I HAVE to use CLOTH or I get a terrible rash.

Rhianna momma to ds #1 - 9 & ds #2 - born 10/22/2012

#11 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 03:48 PM

I used Always pads from the time I was 13 until just this year, I broke out so badly just like in the article. At first, I didn't realize it was from the Always, imagine my horror!!!

Luckily, though, I figured it out. I now use (when not pg!) an all cotton variety I buy at the health food store. And they're not even too bulky!

Glad to hear it's happening to other women, now maybe they'll do something about it! Yikes!
#12 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

The sad thing about this is that it was written 10+ years ago and probably not much has come of it. The most important thing is for women to spread the word and stop purchasing these products. Tell everyone you know whose using disposables. I, too, have switched to mama cloths/the keeper and wouldn't think of switching back.
#13 of 23 Old 08-04-2005, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

DandK

I looked at the full study and found out how many women were included. Here it is.

<<Thirty-four women met the symptoms criteria, and all had been using Always sanitary napkins. After the interviews, five
women were excluded because of coexisting chronic vulvar or vaginal conditions (recurrent herpes, known local skin
allergies and chronic introital dyspareunia). Their symptoms diminished after they stopped using the Always napkins, but
we excluded them because of the confounding causes of the vulvitis. An additional woman was excluded because
subsequent use of Always napkins was well tolerated.

The 28 remaining women ranged in age from 20 to 64 years (median 32 years). Twenty-four women used the sanitary
napkins during menses only; the other four used them every day. The women were asked about menstrual-protection
methods, use of sanitary napkins for other reasons and episodes of menstrual or postmenstrual vulvar itching or burning
during the 6 months before the index episode. Thirteen women had symptoms with their first exposure to the product;
reactions in the others developed only on repeat exposure. Symptoms were typically recurrent: 19 of the women had had
four or more episodes of symptoms, and 8 of the 20 women who had used the product for at least 6 months had had
symptoms every month during that time. Symptoms were first noticed 1 to 9 days (median 3 days; interquartile range
[IQR] 2 to 4 days) after use of the sanitary napkins was started during each menses and lasted for a median of 4.5 days
(IQR 4 to 7 days). The four women who used the napkins every day had constant irritation. Of the 28 women 13 also
had erythematous papular eruption.>>

If anyone wants the full article, pm me and I can send it your way. It is very long so I don't want to post it here.
#14 of 23 Old 08-05-2005, 05:45 PM

The entire study was a whopping 28 women who already had the symptoms before the study? 1 woman was excluded because she did not have reactions all of the time. That's not a reliable study. It is a biased study, there was no control group and they did not have a large enough group to do a proper study.

I used Always between the ages of 11 & 27. The only time I had any problems was postpartum and it was due to chafing at the crease of my leg from having to wear them for 4-7weeks.
#15 of 23 Old 08-05-2005, 08:37 PM

Always are the only brand of disposable pads that ever gave me a rash. I hadn't used them for years until my daughter was born and the hospital pads were Always! Ugh! Even using them for just the couple of days I was in the hospital made me break out! I was so desperate, I put fleece diaper liners on top of them. :

Oh boy how I love my diva cup!!
#16 of 23 Old 08-07-2005, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pease
Always are the only brand of disposable pads that ever gave me a rash. I hadn't used them for years until my daughter was born and the hospital pads were Always! Ugh! Even using them for just the couple of days I was in the hospital made me break out!
: When I was growing up, my mom quit buying always because I had a HORRID yeast infection and super swollen female parts EVERY MONTH that wouldn't go away until my period quit. (Because, of course, I didn't have a pad on then.) She finally figured it out (remember, I was only 14 at the time--I wasn't mature enough to have a clue )and started buying a different brand. No other brand ever gave me that problem, though. After my first 2 kids were born in the hospital I got a REEEEEEEALLLLY bad postpartum infection BEFORE I EVEN WENT HOME because, duh, they only had Always in the hospital. I tried telling them I had brought my own pads (after ds#2 was born) but "according to hospital policy, had to use what they provided". :
#17 of 23 Old 08-07-2005, 12:30 AM

I'm all about valid studies, I'm a researcher/statistician IRL. But it is just so reassuring to have someone in the medical field actually validate what happened to me after so many docs dismissed my problems and I had to come up with a solution on my own. (Okay, pads weren't the only problem - I had some serious medical issues and the dermatitis was the most trivial among them - but they were one of many where top doctors failed me. The only doc I had who was helped with my gyn issues was a fellow researcher. He had a small med practice to have some clinical experience to help him in his research studies. He finally quit practicing b/c he got so fed up with the system - luckily he had an office near mine and was willing to help me out - sorry I've gotten off-topic. I just wanted to emphasize the importance of having your own experience validated instead of having MDs look at you like you must be nuts because you think something mainstream is causing a problem.)

Mom to Kira March 2009
#18 of 23 Old 08-09-2005, 12:26 AM

#19 of 23 Old 08-09-2005, 02:22 AM

Hello All,

I have a very heavy flow and the only pad that really keeps me together is Always. I was thinking about switching to cloth pads/alternative "catchers" but I really need something convenient (easy to use, easy to wash) that really works. Any recommendation?

P.S. I've been a faithful Always user since I was 15 and never had a problem.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#20 of 23 Old 08-09-2005, 11:44 AM

I have been using cloth pads for 2 years. they are just as easy as disposable, easier if you think about not having to run to the store if you run out. I store mine in the cupboard in the bathroom where I used to store my disposables. I have ones with Aplix but will be going to some with snaps just to see the difference. When I change it, I put it in the closet with the rest of my dirty laundry. I do not rinse or wash them out. I wash them with the rest of my laundry. I have found that I do not use nearly as many cloth pads as i did disposable pads.
#21 of 23 Old 08-09-2005, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Always was the only brand I HATED to use, because I found the plastic "stay dri liner" very irritating. If I HAVE TO use sposies, I usually use Kotex or a store brand that's similar to Kotex.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#22 of 23 Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 PM

They are made by P&G who test on animals.
#23 of 23 Old 08-10-2005, 06:57 PM

I always broke out with always too. I'm switching to cloth when aunt flow returns. Thanks to bf'ing I have been enjoying a wonderful hiatus

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page