Cloth Toilet Paper...please explain! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 122 Old 08-04-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so in light of the recent discussion I have a few questions! I cd, use cloth mama pads, don't buy paper towel for the kitchen...but it never even crossed my mind to go cloth for tp! I think part of my hesitation would be that I bf my dd and so the poop just kinda smears off in the wash and I havn't had to deal with real solids yet. Now, of course us adults don't have the same kinda poop! So my questions,

How do you do it? Do any of you NOT use the minishower? Where do you store the tp both before and after?

I'm thinking this could be done, but only with a mini shower and lots of TTO to contain the smell. Also, I'd have to have some paper tp on hand for guests becuase I only have one washroom and most of my friends/family think I'm wierd already so this would probably just be overkill! Okay, so please enlighten me with how this might work!

BTW, someone had mentioned that their dh wouldn't go for it. I don't plan to ask! :LOL If I decide we can do it, I do the grocery shopping (and laundry!) so it would just be one less thing on my list to buy!

Thanks!

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#2 of 122 Old 08-04-2005, 02:37 PM

We don't have a mini shower. What we do is we have some wet cloth tp and some dry. For us it works just as well. You may possibly have some staining issues but you can fix that by using dark colored fabric and presoaking the tp before washing it. As long as you are doing a good wash they will still be hygenic. I do a load every other day. I start the washer on cold/cold with a little bit of detergent and about 5 or 6 drops of tto. Then I let it soak for a couple of hours before finishing the wash. When it's all done I run it through again on hot/cold. That way I'm sure that they are clean.

We haven't been doing cloth tp that long but we are having no problems. The kids are still not full time cloth but I think that's because their bathroom is also the one guests use so there's always a roll of tp in there and they just grab that out of habit. DH was a little reluctant at first even freaked out when I purposely let our bathroom run out of regular tp. But once he tried it he seems fine with it.

Before use our tp is stored in a drawer next to the toilet. The kids' tp is stored in an old wipes box. After use ours goes into a hamper with a lid that is only used for cloth products; wipes, diapers, momma pads. The kids have a wetbag hanging in their bathroom.

I would definetly give it a shot. Try using cloth for a few days and then try the regular tp again. You'll definetly feel the difference. For us it was just a logical choice after switching almost everything else to cloth or nondisposable.
#3 of 122 Old 08-04-2005, 04:25 PM

Cloth TP rocks! (My dh calls them my "vag rags" and doesn't use them. But we go through so little TP with him that I think that's fine).

My system is so easy: rags are kept by the toliet in a little basket. After I use them, I rinse them off immediately (if I've had a BM). I just rinse with hot water and sometimes a little soap. Then they go in the washing machine. (Well, they used to. Now I'm a new house where the washing machine is in another room, so I'll be using a sealed container to store them in until I do laundry. Unless I hate that method and then I'll just walk them to the washer...)

Sometimes I don't use cloth for BMs.

There's a very cool toliet seat that has an attached bidet...someone gave me the link in another thread, and I think we're going to buy that eventually.

Good luck!
#4 of 122 Old 08-04-2005, 04:40 PM

I just keep a stack of Ari's old washies in the BR, and either use it dry or wet it slightly. For a BM, I either wet it, use a natural oil on it (it works!) or use some of my beloved Northern Essences Family Wash foamy - you can also use the diaper wipe foamy stuff. If is great for minor hemmoroid issues left over from being pg - I usually am never uncomfortable anymore.

I love cloth so much more that even the softest TP!

To clean, I just throw it in the laundry or rinse it w/ soap and throw it in the laundry if needed. I am living w/ my mom who is not impressed with the idea, but in my own house I think I would have a pretty little ceramic crock to put the dirty wipes in and a cut basket for the clean ones.
#5 of 122 Old 08-04-2005, 07:00 PM

I think I must be one of the few whose dh uses cloth tp; actually he started doing it before I did, LOL! :LOL

We keep our diaper pail in the bathroom and just toss the used ones in there. There is a wire basket on the back of the toilet with clean ones along with a spray bottle of homemade wipe solution. I haven't noticed any staining or anything, it all seems to come out clean. But adult poop doesn't seem much worse to me than my 18 month olds poop, so it makes sense.

I'm dying to get a minishower but am waiting until we move to get one, that will make the whole process that much easier I think.
#6 of 122 Old 08-04-2005, 07:22 PM

Hmm. I think that we might need to try this too..

What is the best type of fabric to use for them?
#7 of 122 Old 08-04-2005, 07:24 PM

My dh used cloth wipes when we had a bidet. But I don't think he knew you could use them without... he just found out, so we'll see what happens. :LOL
#8 of 122 Old 08-04-2005, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umefey
Hmm. I think that we might need to try this too..

What is the best type of fabric to use for them?
Personally, I like sherpa, but like baby washcloths it is really your preference. If you don't know what you and your family likes best, try to get a sampler pack of baby wipes or a "leftover" pack from a WAHM who has some seconds on her site and try them.
#9 of 122 Old 08-04-2005, 08:21 PM

Even when a baby starts having solid poop, only a (relatively) small amount gets on a wipe. We don't minishower our baby wipes. So it's the same thing with adult wipes, it's nothing that my washing machine can't handle. (I throw them in the diaper pail and wash with the diapers.)

Single mom of 2 boys
#10 of 122 Old 08-04-2005, 11:43 PM

I went and bought a bunch of flannel at a $1 a yard. Cut them into squares and sewed them together 2 ply. No complaints so far. I don't have a surger so I just did an overlock stitch and not much raveling to speak of.
#11 of 122 Old 08-05-2005, 03:50 AM

Subscribing - I was about to write the OP's post! :LOL Do any WAHMs sell cloth wipes specifically for TP?

Thanks for the thread!
#12 of 122 Old 08-05-2005, 04:53 AM

I have a friend who uses FBWs (flannel bum wipes) and they're just made of terry towelling. She has a dry stack in a pretty little basket on top of the toilet with an information sheet for guests (I can't remember exactly what it says, but I can try to get the general idea if anyone is interested - basically spells out why they use FBWs, how they're washed so they're hygienic to use, how to use, where to put them when finished etc). She has two sealed buckets in the corner near the toilet, one for 'front' wipes, one for 'back' wipes. She keeps a soaker solution in each bucket which she changes each day. Since the FBWs are much more effective than tissue TP you only need one to wipe yourself after most trips to the toilet, or two if it's ... erm ... sticky (whereas you'd use half a roll of regular TP after one like that). I can't remember exactly what's in her soaker solution - essential oils, vinegar ... something else. I'll find out if someone wants me to. As for washing, she rinses and does a usual load, then hangs them out to dry on the clothesline (sunlight bleaches any colour out).
#13 of 122 Old 08-05-2005, 05:07 AM

I used to use cloth tp while pregnant, but haven't since I had my dd. I made a bunch of wipes from old flannelette sheets cut into squares. I only used them for wee not bm. I'd just put them into my nappy bucket and then in the wash with them. Because I only used them for wee, I'd use dry cloths - this reminds me to get back into it, I got out of the habit with all the after birth bleeding.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#14 of 122 Old 08-05-2005, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyY
Subscribing - I was about to write the OP's post! :LOL Do any WAHMs sell cloth wipes specifically for TP?

Thanks for the thread!
I wouldn't bother paying money for anything that you use to wipe your butt, but that's just me. :LOL Ok, I guess we buy some TP so that's spending money... Seriously, it's really easy if you are cheap like me, just cut up an old t-shirt into squares (big enough so you can fold them over so you don't get your hands wet) and there you go! You don't even need to sew because t-shirt material doesn't unravel. ANd you can use black so it's less conspicuous (sp?). My DH won't have anything to do with it, BTW. Started with cloth wipes for me when 9 mo pregnant and peeing every 20 min, sometimes I would use a whole roll of TP in one day, just from peeing. Not anymore, yay!
#15 of 122 Old 08-05-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyY

Thanks for the thread!
doodlebottoms used to make a family wipe that was from sherpa and really nice - i think you can still buy the baby wipes (same thing I think) at www.diaperware.com. Also Hidden Pearl Creations makes family wipes, but I have not tried those.
#16 of 122 Old 08-05-2005, 11:31 AM

Does anyone have the link to the toliet seat with the built in bidet? That sounds really cool!

Wife to one. Mama to 5.
#17 of 122 Old 08-05-2005, 01:58 PM

#18 of 122 Old 08-05-2005, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the link! I did not see a price on there. I wonder how much they are/

Wife to one. Mama to 5.
#19 of 122 Old 08-05-2005, 07:27 PM

google search the chloe washlet and I'm sure you'll find a price
#20 of 122 Old 08-05-2005, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who replied! I can't believe of all the things I do this never crossed my mind. At least I have a better understanding, and I may just give it a shot!

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#21 of 122 Old 08-06-2005, 12:36 AM

Yay!
#22 of 122 Old 08-06-2005, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedacia
Thanks for the link! I did not see a price on there. I wonder how much they are/

If you click on see comparison of seats, you'll see the manufacturer's suggested retail. A bit pricy, but would be nice
#23 of 122 Old 08-06-2005, 09:33 AM

I just started using cloth tp, just for pee, which is the vast majority of our tp use anyway. My dp wouldn't go for cloth tp, but like a PP said, he uses very little.
#24 of 122 Old 08-06-2005, 01:24 PM

:

What about using cloth diaper inserts? Seems like a great way to recylce them.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#25 of 122 Old 08-06-2005, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter
:

What about using cloth diaper inserts? Seems like a great way to recylce them.

Yeah, I've done that... and I've used my mama-pad inserts in a pinch once or twice. (stuck in a public toilet with insufficient TP, but my backup mama-pad in my purse. I just wiped, and rolled it back up in the holder an stashed it until I got home to wash. Piece of cake.)

We have dedicated toilet wipes, but I mever thought of the info-sheet for guests?

I'd love to know what that says!
#26 of 122 Old 08-06-2005, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silliest
We have dedicated toilet wipes, but I mever thought of the info-sheet for guests?

I'd love to know what that says!
Ditto
#27 of 122 Old 08-06-2005, 11:08 PM

I can't believe I'm considering doing this after reading this thread!!
#28 of 122 Old 08-06-2005, 11:36 PM

I am considering this too. When I was at Target I noticed that they have wash clothes 12 for 4.99, they come in several hip colors and white. I bought 2 packs to use for the kitchen, instead of paper towles. Any thoughts if these would be good for TP too.
#29 of 122 Old 08-06-2005, 11:55 PM

some of my wipe stash is terry on one side, and I actually find that I prefer terry to some of the fancier fabrics we have. If I was stocking up all over again, I'd probably go with washcloths. Much cheaper than what I did get... but when I bought my stash it was important to my then-husband that he would know for *sure* that the washcloth he picked up had never been used for poo ;-p

(of course, what he thought happened to the washcloth he used on his own butt in the shower, I don't know... maybe his was magic ;-p)

I have found that since first switching to cloth diapers, then no-'poo, then mama-pads, then kitchen cloth, and finally toilet cloth, my whole attitude toward bodily functions and wastes has changed a great deal. I'm a lot more comfortable with it all, and I enjoy taking care of my body-cloth as well as my body.

Before using cloth, bodily functions were a PITA, and now they're something I halfway look forward to... and soiled disposable products were "disgusting garbage" where now my used body-cloth is just dirty laundry, no big disgust-factor... but it's also a bunch of cute, appealing possessions that I enjoy taking care of.

And being somewhat anti-materialism, I kinda get a kick out of teaching my kids that possessions are to be used, and yes, even shat upon ;-> That the things we have are things that serve us, not the other way around. We don't have to buy disposable stuff because we're not too precious to poo on our belongings ;->

It was not a side-effect I expected, and it kind of snuck up on me, but I quite like the new attitude ;->.

I also like the new grocery-store budget. I never realized how much we spent on paper-products until we stopped. *Especially* TP.
#30 of 122 Old 08-07-2005, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celrae
I am considering this too. When I was at Target I noticed that they have wash clothes 12 for 4.99, they come in several hip colors and white. I bought 2 packs to use for the kitchen, instead of paper towles. Any thoughts if these would be good for TP too.
I saw those - I think they'd be unnecessarily large. Well, for "front" wiping at least.

And, just fyi, those orange target towels bleed all over everything in the wash :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page