mold and mildew on window frame and sill - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-03-2002, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was in the "nursery"(aka spare room since we co-sleep) and noticed that the window frames and sill are covered with mold and mildew. Its really quite gross. I also notice the windows all fogged up and the room is very humid. We had the blinds down(cold outside, warm inside), and maybe thats trapping the moisture. My question is, what can I use to remove the mold? DH suggested bleach, but I'm not sure how bleach would react with the paint. Any ideas?
#2 of 11 Old 01-04-2002, 12:41 AM

I have the same problem here!!!!: Hope you will get answers...

On one window, I srubbed with an old toothbrush then put some grapefruit seed extract on the frame (15 drops in a small glass of water) and it was better for a while, I should repeat that again... until we saved enough money to change the windows... but then, will this come back???

Valérie

Valérie   
#3 of 11 Old 01-04-2002, 05:24 AM

You might try cleaning it with a solution of water and a bit of tea tree, pine, and/or spruce oil. They are drying and antiseptic. You might also try a water/vinegar solution. If none works, using very very diluted bleach should do the trick without harm. Just fill a spray bottle with water and add 1T of bleach (do this outside) and then spray and let sit, then wipe and clean with plain water to follow.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#4 of 11 Old 01-04-2002, 06:07 AM

I get this at our place too. But the mold is on the aluminum part of the window not the painted part. Yes, unfortunately they do come back but it's usually during the winter months. I've used the bleach solution in the past but want to try the tea tree now.

I also have mold and mildew on the ceiling in the bathroom. It's especially bad above the bathtub/shower. Could I use the tea tree solution for this too? Do I spray it on and wipe off or will I need to scrub. I can't see how using bleach would work as I would be spray up. Any ideas?
#5 of 11 Old 01-06-2002, 03:35 AM

You can get cleansers with tea tree, such as Dr Bronners. If you want to make it at home, you might put the oil on the mildew directly in a thin layer and let it sit for a while before you clean it off. Experiment with it and try it other ways. I used to live on Vancouver Island and we got mildew on EVERYTHING. We had good luck with pine oil cleansers. Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds has pine & spruce and would probably do the trick for you. Just make sure that after you clean, you dry the area very thoroughly, or else the mildew will remain.

I don't know about the ceiling. That must depend on the material your ceiling is made of. Ours are spackled, and I can't imagine how I would clean mildew off of that. I suppose that if you wanted to bleach it you could spray it on, but you would want to protect your hair & clothes and such. Beats me.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#6 of 11 Old 01-06-2002, 05:17 PM

I found mold and mildew in my son's bedroom. It really freaked me out, because I had heard that it can make you sick. He has mild allergy-like symptoms but we haven't been able to determine the cause. I was wiping it off every other day with my usual spray cleanser (water, vinegar and Citrasolv) but I added several drops of tea tree oil in to the bottle. We also bought a dehumidifier which we run about a hour a day (after baths - we don't have a vent/fan and our bathroom is next to his room) This has really helped! Now I seldom see new mold/mildew, but still I check around the windows and behind furniture a couple of times a week.
#7 of 11 Old 01-10-2002, 02:16 PM

You need to ventalate the room!! If you don't it will keep comming back. Is this room above or beside a bathroom or laundry room? If so, you need to put vents in your house to be rid of this problem.
#8 of 11 Old 01-12-2002, 01:43 AM

Don't want to freak you out, but that icky stuff can be toxic, causing all kinds of reactions from mild to severe. We had it grwoing on the windows in my son's kindergarten a few years back, and hired an environmental firm to clean it up. I recall they used denatured alcohol for the final wipe down. I swear they were using q-tips in every corner too. Smelled a whole lot better when they were done.

It does help to heat the room and dehumidify.

Good luck!
#9 of 11 Old 01-12-2002, 04:33 AM

Yes, a dehumidifier would be a great idea, and do use your air conditioning & heating, as it helps rid the house of humidity.

rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#10 of 11 Old 01-15-2002, 03:50 PM

I have read things about mold and mildew as well. It can be dangerous to your health. As some others mentioned above Tee Tree oil will kill it. I purchase products from a company that uses tee tree oil as a base in the majority of their products, and they are wonderful. They are also non toxice, and do not contain harsh bleaches or chemicals (which make them safe for our home and family). Anyway, I just wanted to share about the tee tree oil.

Pam
#11 of 11 Old 01-22-2002, 04:35 AM

Getting back to the mold and mildew on the ceiling in my bathroom. I made a mixture with vinegar, water, a sqirt of dish soap and added lavender and tea tree in a spray bottle. I sprayed it on and let it sit for a few minutes then wiped it all off. It came off really easily, I was prepared to do some scrubbing with baking soda and lemon juice. I topped this off with a new shower curtain...the old one was too gross to salvage.

I'm also runnning the fan after our showers and checking regularly for new mold/mildew.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page