How do I fix dull wood floors? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2005, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do I clean my wood floors, or at least shine them up? Do I wax? How do you wax floors, anyway? I dust them daily and hoover floormate them with vinegar and water maybe once a month, but even then they look cloudy soon after I am done. They feel clean but they just don't look that pretty. (They are fairly new floors, well, 2 years old. They used to look shiny and not cloudy.)

Help?

flowersforyou.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2005, 05:33 PM

I will venture out and say that the vinegar is probably slowly eating the shine that was there away.

Newer wood floors are usually polyrurethaned (which comes semi-gloss, gloss, and I assume plain). You will probably have to re-apply the polyrurethane if that is what was used.

You could try wax. Waxing would require a floor buffer, you can rent one of those. My MIL tried to help me out once and used furniture polish on my floors -- slick as glass they were for about a year. I was

If you have wood laminate floors, then waxing would be my suggestion.

I basically use water when I mop my wood floors. Mine have a pealing glossy polyrurethane on them, we have never done anything to the floors since moving in 6 yrs ago. I spot clean gunk or known messes with soap and water.

I would suggest stop using the vinegar and water on the wood floors, reserve that for the tile and vinyl flooring.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Well, I know this works on furniture, but maybe as an experiment perhaps you could try wiping olive oil or just plain vegetable oil on a small section and see what happens?
It'll probably make your floors slippery like furniture polish does, though.
Nothing shines like polyurathane, though. The Oxiclean company has adds out for what appears to be a very inexpensive floor refinishing system...in spite of their obnoxious ad style, I found that oxiclean really was everything the commercials claimed it was and more, so I kinda trust them.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

They don't seem like the finish is gone, on the contrary they still seem fine but they are cloudy. They were only done a couple of years ago, sanded and polyurethaned, and I'd be shocked if they were worn down already. Dull might have been the wrong word to use, I apologize. I am having trouble describing the problem clearly!

We use vinegar and water because that is what we were told to do to take away the cloudiness. :LOL They were cloudy before, when we just used water, too. But, they haven't been cloudy since day 1. So, that's why I was wondering if there is something I should be doing but haven't.

I have 2 rooms with hardwood floors at either end of a long hardwood floor hallway. When you stand in either room and look down the hall at the other room you can see that the floors have a milky look to them, a cloudiness. When you are in the room, it isn't as noticeable. I just want them to look clear and gleaming!

flowersforyou.gif

Old 08-23-2005, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Try murphy's oil soap. We use it on our unfinished wood floors and finished cabinets and they keep a pretty good shine.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:34 PM

We only spot clean our floors with an orange oil cleaner, but we don't have poly on our floors. I have read that vinegar can be bad like Electra375 stated. I would not mop or leave wet surfaces on the floor at all because that will damage wood over time. Make sure that when you wash you dry with a soft cloth and don't leave an pooled areas of moisture.

Murphy's is worse than vinegar and can strip some sufaces and cause build up at the same time. Waxing will not get rid of the cloudy quality, but instead create a layer of clear, slippery above the cloudy. It is not advised for polyed floors.

Maybe you need to have a light sanding with a fine grit on the floor surface and a reapplication of poly. This is not refinishing (refinishing would be sanding down to the wood), but a way of bringing back the lost luster.

User Tag List