The Essential Oil Discussion Group (Post here.) - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 99 Old 01-26-2009, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know much about aromatherapy but I have been using TTO and Lemon for cleaning, TTO and Lavender for body oil and hair and occassionally Patuchui because I like the smell. Recently I found some Cinnamon, Sandalwood, Vanilla and Ylang ylang for $3 a bottle on clearance so I bought them. What are these scents good for? How can I use them on myself, my pets, and for house clening? What are some essential essentials that I should add to my stash and what should I use them for?
Thanks for any advice, I am a bit of a newbie for using essential oils!

Sugaree hippie mama: to one perfect daughter 9/07: one money-pit:
We : we share a:Right now we are: :
#92 of 99 Old 03-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
this infomation is from mountain rose:
cinnamon Traditional Use: As an antiseptic, to help in the preservation of some foods

Properties: Antiseptic, antibiotic, aphrodisiac, astringent, insecticide

Benefits: Calms digestive system, antioxidant (only under professional supervision)

Blends Well With: Bay, benzoin, bergamot, cardamom, carnation, clove, coriander, frankincense, geranium, ginger, grapefruit, lemon, lemongrass, litsea cubeba, mandarin, marjoram, nutmeg, olibanum, orange, patchouli, Peru balsam, petitgrain, rose maroc, vanilla, ylang ylang, and yuzu.

Of Interest: Cinnamon has been a highly prized commodity since antiquity and is one of the most recognizable scents in the world. It is high in anti-oxidants and recent research has shown it to have positive therapeutic effects on type II diabetes. The aroma is said to increase your ability to tap into your psychic mind, and to increase your financial prosperity.

Safety Data: Bark oil is a dermal toxin, irritant and sensitizer; also irritant to the mucous membranes. Should never be used on the skin (one of the most hazardous oils)

Avoid using this product entirely if you are pregnant.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#93 of 99 Old 03-03-2009, 03:17 PM

sandalwood use sparingly. at risk plant. Traditional Use: Extensively employed as a fragrance component and fixative in soaps, detergents, cosmetics, and perfumes – especially oriental, woody, aftershaves, and chypres.

Properties: Antidepressant, anti-infectious, antiphlogistic, antiseptic (urinary and pulmonary), antispasmodic, aphrodisiac, astringent, bactericidal, calmative, carminative, cicatrisant, decongestant (lymph and veinous system), diuretic, emollient, expectorant, fungicidal, insecticidal, sedative, and tonic (heart).

Benefits: Acne, anxiety, aphrodisiac, bladder infections, blenorrhea, bronchitis, cardiac fatigue, catarrh, chest infections, cough, cracked and chapped skin, cystitis, depression, diarrhea, dry skin, fluid retention, gonorrhea, hiccough, impotence, insomnia, laryngitis, nausea, nervous tension, pelvic congestion, scarring, sore throat, strep and staph infections, stress, tuberculosis, and vomiting.

Blends Well With: Benzoin, bergamot, black pepper, cassie, chamomile roman, clary sage, clove, costus, geranium, grapefruit, fennel, frankincense, jasmine, labdanum, lavender, lemon, mandarin, mimosa, myrrh, neroli, oakmoss, orange, palmarosa, patchouli, rose, rosewood, tuberose, vetiver, violet, and ylang ylang.

Of Interest: It is being over harvested at this point and may be seriously endangered. Consider using the best suited alternatives which are Australian Sandalwood or Amyris. The wood was carved into furniture, temples, and retains an important place in Ayurvedic, Tibetan, and traditional Chinese medicines. The yogi believes it encourages a meditative state and enhances devotion to God. Swahra yoga recommends it for the union of the senses; Tantric yoga recommends it to awaken sexual energy. It has been associated in terms of the symbolism of the Tarot, with the Empress – the universal womb in which all manifestations is gestated, and the Great Mother of Ideas.

Safety Data: Non-toxic, non-irritant, and non-sensitizing.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#94 of 99 Old 03-03-2009, 03:18 PM

is your vanilla an absolute? Botanical Name: Vanilla planifolia
Common Method Of Extraction: Solvent extracted
Parts Used: ‘Cured’ vanilla beans
Note Classification: Base
Aroma: Rich, sweet, balsamic, vanilla-like
Largest Producing Countries: Madagascar and Mexico

Traditional Use: Used as a fragrance ingredient in perfumes, especially oriental types.

Properties: Balsamic.

Benefits: Perfumery.

Blends Well With: Balsams, benzoin, bergamot, frankincense, jasmine, lemon, mandarin, opopanax, orange, patchouli, rose, sandalwood, vetiver, and ylang ylang.

Of Interest: When vanilla is grown in cultivation the deep trumpet-shaped flowers have to be hand-pollinated – except in Mexico where the native humming birds do most of the work. Vanilla absolute and Vanilla extract are 2 completely different products. Vanilla extract is for food flavoring purposes and Vanilla absolute is reserved exclusively for perfume.

Safety Data: Vanilla absolute is not for internal use.

Back to Vanilla Absolute Essential Oil

#95 of 99 Old 03-03-2009, 03:20 PM

ylang ylang
Botanical Name: Cananga odorata
Common Method Of Extraction: Steam distilled
Parts Used: Freshly picked flowers
Note Classification: Base
Aroma: Intensely sweet, soft, floral-balsamic, slightly spicy scent, with a creamy rich top note
Largest Producing Countries: Comoro Islands, Madagascar, and Reunion

Traditional Use: Extensively used as a fragrance component and fixative in soaps, cosmetics, perfumes; ylang ylang extra tends to be used in high-class perfumes, ylang ylang 3 in soaps, detergents, etc.

Properties: Antidepressant, anti-infectious, antiseborrheic, antiseptic, aphrodisiac, calmative, euphoric, hypotensive, nervine, regulator, sedative (nervous), stimulant (circulatory), and tonic.

Benefits: Acne, circulation, depression, frigidity, hair growth, high blood pressure, hyperpnoea, hypertension, impotence, insect bites, insomnia, nervous tension, oily skin, palpitations, PMS, regulates cardiac and respiratory rhythms, tachycardia, and uterine tonic.

Blends Well With: Bergamot, cassie, chamomile roman, clary sage, clove, costus, eucalyptus citriodora, ginger, grapefruit, jasmine, lemon, litsea cubeba, mandarin, mimosa, neroli, opopanax, orange, palmarosa, patchouli, Peru balsam, petitgrain, rose, rosewood, sandalwood, tuberose, vetiver, and yuzu.

Of Interest: Indonesians spread the luxuriant flowers on the marriage bed of the newly weeded couples. Ylang means “flowers of flowers”, sometimes called “the perfume tree”. The first distillate (about 40%) is called ylang ylang extra, which is the top grade. Three further successive distillates are called Grades 1, 2 and 3. ‘Complete’ oil is also produced that represents the total or ‘unfractionated’ oil, but this is sometimes constructed by blending ylang ylang 1 and 2 together.

Safety Data: Non-toxic, non-irritant, a few cases of sensitization reported. Use in moderation, since its heady scent can cause headaches or nausea.

#96 of 99 Old 12-18-2013, 09:15 AM

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've been on mothering.com. Time is something I need more of! 

I've been looking into essential oils recently and have some questions I hope can be answered. I've browsed through the posts here but haven't read them all. Most of the time I make my own infused oils with plants I grow such as lavender, calendula, and comfrey, but there are sometimes I find myself wishing I had essential oils. I've read, here and other places, the usual recommendations and debates of DoTerra and Young Living, and even Mountain Rose Herbs. Are all other brands inferior? How do you know if a brand really is 100% pure uncut and undiluted? Yesterday I found some essential oils at Hobby Lobby by Crafty Bubbles. The brand name and price of $6.99 for 15ml makes it seem this brand is not the greatest compared to the price of some others, but looking at the website, http://www.craftybubbles.com/essential_oils1.htm, it seems alright. What should I know about buying essential oils? I don't have it in the budget right now to put out a lot of money on essential oils so I'm looking for a brand that's affordable and not junk. \

Thanks in advance! 

#97 of 99 Old 12-27-2013, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Sorry no one answered your post, Naturalmama4.

What I look for in a pure essential oil is the latin name of the plant from which it was extracted listed on the label, and also some indication of "100%" essential oil - one ingredient, in other words.

Essential oils are expensive. They are a very large part of my household budget. However, they are very powerful and healing. I wouldn't be without them. I use them for cleaning, for medicine, and for skin care. If price is a factor, select an oil that is less expensive. I frequently use rosemary for cleaning even though it isn't my favorite oil, simply because it's less expensive than other options. (Each essential oil should have a unique price, BTW, I'd avoid a brand which offers every oil at the same price.

I have bought counterfeit oils that were deliberately fraudulent. They smelled like paint thinner or nail polish remover. If I hadn't been tipped off by the aroma and had experience with essential oils, I may not have known the difference greensad.gif This was a small internet seller and I was trying to save money. Now I go with one of the brands you mentioned, to be sure.

Read descriptions of the oil you want to buy and look at pictures. Many oils have a distinctive color and viscosity.

Some oils can stain, or are phototoxic (react badly on skin when exposed to sunlight), or are resinous and will leave a residue. It's worthwhile to research carefully so you don't end up with the wrong oil for your purpose.

The site you mentioned looks OK. Now foods is also OK, but not the best quality. Aura Cacia is also OK. I think that Ananda Apothecary, Mountain Rose Herbs, and Young Living are reliable and among the best brands. I've never used DoTerra.

Maybe start by purchasing a few small vials of an inexpensive oil to see how you like the oils and the vendor.

You only need a few drops of essential oil for any purpose. Some oils will go stale in time, especially citrus oils. Don't buy a larger quantity than you need; it's not a value is the oils go bad. I keep mine in a dark drawer in the refrigerator and only buy enough to last about 4 months, just to be sure they are fresh and effective.

Have fun and enjoy!
#98 of 99 Old 01-06-2014, 08:05 AM

Jumping in as well.  I use mostly fragrance oils in my soaps and lotions but have used essential oils in some batches. 

Quote:
Yesterday I found some essential oils at Hobby Lobby by Crafty Bubbles. The brand name and price of $6.99 for 15ml makes it seem this brand is not the greatest compared to the price of some others, but looking at the website, http://www.craftybubbles.com/essential_oils1.htm, it seems alright. What should I know about buying essential oils?

My general rule of thumb is that anything bought at a craft store is going to be lower quality than something that you would buy at a specialty store.  I know for soapmaking, most if not all of the colorants and fragrances at the craft stores are for melt-and-pour soapmaking, not cold-processed.  Nothing wrong with M&P, but if you want CP ingredients you'd want to find a local supplier or order online.  I do most of my supply ordering online.

Here are the suppliers that I like for essential oils.

http://www.camdengrey.com

http://libertynatural.com/indexcart.html

http://www.bulknaturaloils.com

Mom to 2 boys, Ian (6) and Duncan (4)

HR goddess and Soapmaker - check my profile for a link to my lovely soap blog!

#99 of 99 Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 PM

Hi!  I've started a monthly newsletter on therapeutic grade essential oils.  I talk about most common oils and uses, how to dilute, how to determine purity of an oil, how to use them for effective and non-toxic cleaning solutions, and much more!  Please message me with your email address if you would like me to add you to my mailing list!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page