Mothering Forum banner

Dr. Bronners / Castille Soap

532 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SharonAnne 
#1 ·
I've been slowly switching to natural products and my dh hasn't noticed, till now. He complained about the 'green' dish soap I bought and then I switched to Castille Soap with peppermint- and he dislikes that even more. I also switched our hand soap (bathroom soap) to Dr. Bronners- and he hates that too.

I have not been that impressed with the Castille soap for dishes becasue it does seem to leave the plastic a little slippery feeling, but I figured maybe I just needed a different recipe. I do like that they were clean and minty smelling(-: They didn't feel unclean after they dried.

My dh hates that they feel slippery- he thinks the dishes are not getting clean and calls it slimey. He also commented that there are no bubbles. I gave him some line about the bubbles being a marketing ploy and that you don't really need the bubbles. Then he insisted that things just were not getting clean.

As for the hand soap- he said that it just didn't seem to rinse off that well. I did suggest that you really only had to use a tiny bit, but he didn't think that was the issue.

Now, he'd be happy to switch to natural products but they must pass the same standards as the norm (the dawn dish detergent and whatever antibacterial soap we used to get in a pump).

Oh, and just for full disclosure, I'm the one that does almost all of the dishwashing and cleaning, so I'm not so sure I'm so fond of him getting to choose the product but I think he will use this as an excuse to not do dishes. I also do not want to have one product for me and one product for him.

The Castille Soap was a Trader Joe's brand with peppermint and I got a bottle of unscented Dr. Bronners at the health food store.

Any suggestions?

Jessica

See less See more
#4 ·
For dishes, I really like the BiOKleen dish soap. Works great as a hand soap, too. I have Dr Bronners for hand soap in the bathrooms. I fill the pump about 2/3 full with water, then fill the rest with Dr B. It's runny, but rinses off your hands just fine. Works best if your pump has a very small spout (spigot?). Otherwise, I've heard those foaming pumps work great for it, too. We had one years ago, but it got all clogged (no doubt with some crappy hand soap I bought) and I got rid of it. Haven't found the need to replace it, although dd does like the foaming soaps at other places, so I might look into it again. GOod luck. Don't want to give those dhs any excuses to get out of doing dishes. :LOL

#5 ·
I second the foamer idea. Dh used to complain about my Dr. Bronner's all the time, until I not so politely pointed out that HE'S not cleaning a DARN THING, so he shouldn't get to pick the darn cleaners.
I basically said, "if you think i'm doing a horrible housekeeping job, you're welcome to take over."

He politely declined. :LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.