Mothering Forum banner

What the heck is petroleum jelly really?

832 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  KnitterMama 
#1 ·
So ... I'm looking for a really effective diaper rash treatment ... unfortunately, most of the ones I've seen on the market have *heavy metals* in them, and that just doesn't seem like a good idea, eh? So, I was thinking petroleum jelly ... but, where the heck does that come from?

#3 ·
I make my own rash ointment from herbs, oils, and beeswax. Soak the herbs a week or so in the oils (if I'm in a hurry I heat it up so it doesn't have to sit as long), then strain. I have found that comfrey (healing) and chamomile (pain relieving) work best for rashes. Mix the now herbal oil with a little beeswax, and a few drops of grapefruit seed extract, and melt it all together. Works great.

ETA - if this is an ongoing problem, you might want to look into some dietary changes, or maybe switch diapers or how you wash them.

#5 ·
The bigger GNC's carry Unpetroleum Jelly. That's the brand name.

All the petro jelly we've got has now been banished to machinery type uses. Only Unpetro for our skins.

FWIW, Native Americans used to use the oil that would bubble up naturally from seeps as skin treatments. That's where the concept of petro jelly for skin treatments came from. That's also where the guy got the idea for drilling for oil..... Gotta love the History Channel.

#7 ·
Bridgette,

Have you heard of Weleda? They have a decent non toxic diaper rash ointment. I currently use olive oil. I used to use balmex until I read the ingredients and looked them up. If you need something more ointmenty than olive oil and you can't find wedella, may want to try lanisoh that is used on the nipples? I also use that. Between olive oil and lanisoh, my daughter seems to be ok.

A good website I used to look up ointments and baby care:

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/browse_products.php

Sherra

#8 ·

the rash is still here
. i handwash our dipes with dye-free, fragrance free detergent, and air dry them on a drying rack. i'd like to use a natural detergent but the options in our stores are out-of-the-question expensive.

OLIVE OIL! why didn't i think of that?
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.